Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil Continuity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Daredevil Continuity Reply with quote

Hello all, Very Happy
My first post here. Have many questions on the daredevil continuity as I have always liked daredevil but had problems getting into the continuity as he is not as big as Spiderman(my fave hero) and didnt know anyone who bought DD.
Firstly, to get into DD is a good starting point the Visionaries Vols 1-3 by Miller?
Where do i go from there? Are collected volumes still in print?
Is DD Visionaries Kevin Smith the same as Guardian Devil or not?What is the difference?
Looking at the trades list on this site for Volume 1 some oof the trades are missing issues? so what happened to the missing issues? Are they collected in a trade notmentioned here or what?
As much help would be appreciated by all you fans, coz I want to place a huge order to pick up as much back history as possible before I start on the current Bendis/Maleev continuity.

Cheers all, hope I dont sound too foolish! Embarassed
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for someone who is looking to start from scratch, the Miller Visionaries is probably the best place to start. where to go from there is really up to your personal taste. after you read those volumes (including the Born Again TPB), you can pretty much jump right into the Volume 2 trades. if you want to read some silver age stuff, you can get the black and white reprints of the first 50 issues (in 2 volumes) in Essential Daredevil.
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that train. I guess once you know the origins its just a case of exploring the character, and finding your own way. I have the first essentials, but then found out all this stuff about stick and the hand which didnt appear in the essentials, so i have been dying to know who, what where and how...if you know what I mean. I have already ordered born again, picking it up tomorrow. Are there any key trades I should definitely read? I rarely buy single issues coz I hate having to wait a month or more to find out what happens next?
And any good comic sites for news? I goto marvel.com and wizardunivers.com, but its hard trying to find a site that is very comprehensive in its info. The only way I ever know whats happening is to buy wizard. So any hints, tips or ideas???

Cheers
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best site for DD news.

newsarama.com and comicbookresources.com are both really good for more general stuff.

As for what to read first I'd actually recommend reading Born Again first. It's not the origin but it's self contained and clearly lays out just about everything you need to know about the character.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Daredevil Continuity Reply with quote

Don't skip "Parts of a Hole," the vol. 2 DD arc, right after Guardian Devil. It's some of the best DD work ever, IMHO! Very Happy

Also, it might be easy to overlook David Lapham's DD/Punisher mini from last year, but I highly recommend reading prior to Brubaker's DD.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're lucky DD only has one title, characters with many titles tend to have convoluted continuity, like Spidey and the X-Men. Heck, even some characters with only title are really convoluted, like Hawkman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: