Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bought / Thought 6-27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Bought / Thought 6-27 Reply with quote

What did you get this week? What did you think? When will/did you see "Superman Returns"?
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn,t buy anything yet because new books don't come out until tomorrow, but I did see Superman returns tonight, my local theatre had a special midnight showing. I'll try not to spoil it for anyone but I gotta get my opinion of it off my chest.

It was okay, and say that mostly because there's something about the experience of seeing anything in the theatre's on a large screen that makes almost any movie enjoyable, but ultimately it was just lacking. One of the major story points just wasn't really fully explored in this film, Lois and Kal's relationship and what was given just didn't quite work. Luthor's evil plan was so unoriginal,I won't say how but you'll recognize it when you see it, and ultimately the movie tried too hard to be epic and to live up to the mold of the original.

However it wasn't necessarily all bad, I kinda like Routh's performance, I mean he wasn't any Reeve's or even Cain, but, he had some moments were he was pretty likeable as Clark, the special effects were pretty good too, but on a whole the script and alot of the performances were pretty lacking.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the next day and i got my books so here goes.

Daredevil #86

Was this book not a gift sent forth from the very heavens!!!!!!
I loved it !!! I would marry this book if it were a woman and I could get her liquored up enough to find me attractive and charming. Daredevil is soooooo awesome.

New Avengers #21

Well much more interesting than last issue, but i think Chaiykin's anatomy was off, Cap's head looked to huge for his body, to me atleast, and it kinda distracted me from getting too involved in the story.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD#86 - WOW!!! That was a great read. If anyone hasn't read this, they're missing out. This arc just gets better and better with every issue!

Moon Knight #3 - Really enjoyed this issue...pretty much a re-cap of Marc Spector's past (as collected in Essential Moon Knight Vol. 1), but also moved the current arc along. Finch's pencils were great once again.

Marvel Previews - now I get to figure how much to blow on the collection this month...DD vol. 6 HC!!

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil #86: We are not worthy.
Sidekick #1: I laughed so hard I farted Embarassed . Added to my pulls on that sole criterium.
Virgin Comics #0: Preview of the forthcoming Virgin titles Devi (July) and Ramayan Reborn (August). I'll definitely snag both #1s, at least
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw "Superman Returns" last night and watched in horror as the ultra-tight first half unwound into the agonizing second half.

DD #86 - See the dedicated thread.

Batman #654 - For my intents and purposes, this shared arc fit perfectly. Paired with the "Under the Hood" TPBs, it brought me up to speed with what's going on in the realm of the Bat. Very crucial and a little touching moment at the end. From "Hush" to "Identity Crisis" to this, I feel I'm back to being a Batman fan.

Civil War Frontline #2 - So my theory of "Two Spideys" is shot. But the headline on the Daily Bugel made it all worthwhile. This book is absolutely essential to understanding Civil War. Without it, the series is a "whatever". With it and the connections it makes to history and to reality, the series crackles. Kudos to Marvel for putting Jenkins on this task.

New Avengers #21 - We return to beginning and know the place for the first time. Are we really going to go man-by-man-by-Spiderwoman through the New Avengers again? Is this a team book or an amalgamation of lesser-selling heros book? I'm not to the point of dropping it like others. But I'm not 100% behind it like I once was.

Ultimate Spider-man #96 - This was a good time for a nice short arc. There have been too many plots in the past which were stretched to six issues instead of fitting comfortably into three or four. This perhaps could've taken up three or even four with further exposition of who the other vampires were. But if it's too soon to say, this length was just right.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the following:

52 WEEK #8 - Not read it yet. I'm really a DCU newbie, so this is a bit of an up hill curve for me. Enjoying, the question and Montoya stuff is great, though at my cheeky flick though, both seem to be absent.

AMERICAN WAY #5 - Very good political story about racism, 1960's politics and super-heros. A recommended read for anyone who likes something different.

BATMAN #654 $2.99 - Told to start getting bats and Det Com after infinite crisis as a good jumping on point. Have really enjoyed the story from James Robinson. Looking forward to the new Grant Morrisson + Kubert (I forget which!) stuff. Good ending with creation of "new" villian and the set-up for future events. Enjoyed the ending, again, offers scope and new direction.

CRISIS AFTERMATH THE SPECTRE #2 (OF 3) $2.99 - Getting this on the back of Gotham Central, having not read infinite crisis I didn't know about Cris Allen and the Spectre. Someone recommended and I've picked it up. Enjoying it, though not good enough for a monthly book, three issues is probably enough.

LOVELESS #8 (MR) $2.99 - Not read yet. Enjoying, but confusing at times. Though art has been poor in the single issue back ground stories.

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE #2 (OF 10) $2.99 - Not read yet, didn't think I'd enjoy #1, but loved it. Great "annexe" book to Civil War, if your enjoying Civil War, then this is a must, goes deeper than the headline major action of the main Civil War book. This explores the backgrounds, looking forward to where this goes.

DAREDEVIL #86 $2.99 - Best DD for some time, I need to get a new copy as I appear to have shot my wad over the last page. Being a massive Punisher and DD fan, it floated my boat! Hopefully any critics of EB will be tucking into that humble pie by now. The man has a plan. Watch out for EB's criminal, looks Sleeper-esque, which is no bad thing.

MOON KNIGHT #3 $2.99 - Behind Ultimates2, Fell and DD, this is the best book out there at the moment. Amazing stuff, soooooo dark, so powerful, can't recommend this enough to those who haven't read it yet. Great story, good set-up, just want more at the end. Loved the manipulations taking place and the raw emotions of it all.

MOON KNIGHT DIRECTORS CUT #1 $3.99 - Had to for completist sake.

NEW AVENGERS #21 CW $2.99 - Good issue, I love Cap, I am intrigued how the relationships will be after the "War".

NEXTWAVE AGENTS OF HATE #6 $2.99 - Enjoying this finally, but I do feel that I have to be in the right mood to read it at times. Feel that it tries too hard at times.

Also picked up:
The Leading Man - By the team that did the "Could have been so much better" Battle Hymn, B Clay Moore and Jeremy Haum. Enjoyed it, like James Bond but he's a movie star too. Did enough to grab my attention, needs a strong second issue.

Casanova - Not read yet, looks good, also another book to use the "Fell" format, only $1.99, can't be bad, not sure on the artwork though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: