Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Civil War #3 - Daredevil confusion resolved? (SPOILERS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Civil War #3 - Daredevil confusion resolved? (SPOILERS) Reply with quote

I've had a preview copy of Civil War #3 for review purposes, but didn't want to start talking about it until the day that the issue came out: so -

In Civil War #3, we see Daredevil in his civilian identity - having adopted another alter ego in order to remain on the run from S.H.I.E.L.D. more effectively - and it definitely looks like Matt to me. I'm guessing therefore that Civil War is set after DD's escape from Prison (presuming that goes ahead next issue), and that the whole gag in the Civil War "Director's cut" issue was the marketing stunt that it appeared to be.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there's more, in an interview with Tom Brevoort:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/WarRoom/03/CivilWarRoom03.html

Newsarama wrote:

NRAMA: Fair enough… So who was that in the diner with Cap and the rest going by the name Cooper Peyton who was putting the Daredevil mask by the end? After all, he's not blind (given his expressions, and the ways his eyes are shown), and not Matt Murdock…

TB: Read Daredevil by Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark! Big reveal coming any day now!

NRAMA: But again, and taking a macro view, is DD's identity important in Civil War? When it's all said and done, and Civil War is collected, Daredevil: Devil in Cell Block D won't be a companion volume to Civil War, so is it the plan to have a DD in there who kind of looks like Matt Murdock, and his identity not played up?

TB: Before Civil War is over, the identity of the person who's been running around in the Daredevil costume will be revealed in Civil War as well, so people who eventually read the collected edition aren't in the dark. But this is Ed's and Michael's story, so we're not going to be touching on it until their reveal is made - unless you count the shell-game in the Civil War Director's Cut. That's a whole lot of baggage that the novice readers who are potentially picking up Civil War don't need to have to deal with until the moment it becomes a story element.

NRAMA: But at the same time, in deference to the storyline Ed is playing out in Daredevil, no one's going to be referring to "Cooper" by his other name, are they?

TB: Yes, eventually in the pages of Civil War, "Cooper's" real name and face will be seen.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished reading CW3. there were 2 things that i found to be comical (not sure if it was intentional):

1. the 'secret avengers' were discussing their new secret identities while sitting around a table in a diner. surely they could have found a more discreet place to hash over this sensitive information.

2. did anyone else think that captain america looked like Anchorman Ron Burgandy? i kept expecting him to say "Odin's Raven!" when Iron Man's trap was sprung.

it's been discussed before that the whole idea of CW is a flawed one (no disagreements from me) but the read has been pretty entertaining. i'm interested to see how it plays out.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
it's been discussed before that the whole idea of CW is a flawed one (no disagreements from me) but the read has been pretty entertaining. i'm interested to see how it plays out.
I agree with you totally, I never like to pick the bones out of things like this, I just like to enjoy, it is escapism etc, that said I do like realism and things in proper logical context.

My take on the DD in restaurant was that it didn't seem like MM to me at all, perhaps it was just drawn in a confusing fashion, but I was wondering who it was? I didn't think it was MM based on the eyes to be honest. But what I couldn't understand is why the other heroes hadn't said anything like "Why is (whoever....insert name) running round in a DareDevil costume?". I can't see how they could do a civilian reveal, but it not be MM. The civilian Cooper Peyton didn't look like any character to me so if it has spoiled it, I haven't got it! Perhaps it is Mystique?
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap knows DD's secret identity, so that is confusing. I don't know what to think. I'm thinking that it is the real DD and the Devil in Cell Block D is taking place before Civil War.
WillDO
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DD imposter probably came clean. Now that his identity has somewhat been revealed by CAble/deadpool #30, it makes sense why wolverine and spiderman didn't pick up the imposter earlier since it's someone that they all have worked with before. This imposter DD would probably beat Matt in a real fight as well.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the secret identities have come from Fury, they all could be wearing image scramblers which means their faces are really holograms.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hylozoii wrote:
Cap knows DD's secret identity, so that is confusing. I don't know what to think. I'm thinking that it is the real DD and the Devil in Cell Block D is taking place before Civil War.

It's been stated by Joe Q. a handful of times that Civil War and Devil in Cell Block #D are running neck and neck in continuity.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: