Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Return of the Blocky Face Pencils?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Return of the Blocky Face Pencils? Reply with quote

I saw this on Silver Bullet Comics:
(http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/index1.htm)

"Back on the Street

John Romita JR is planning a return to the Amazing Spider-Man monthly title after his run on the Eternals with Neil Gaiman is over, but right before that he will be pencilling an arc (or mini series) of Daredevil or the Punisher (or possibly both)."
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it. I love Romita Jr's run on Spidey. Most memorable times for me. Especially when he was doing the whole Ezekiel arc. Great fight scenes with Spidey and Morlun....
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it. I love Romita Jr's run on Spidey. Most memorable times for me. Especially when he was doing the whole Ezekiel arc. Great fight scenes with Spidey and Morlun....
>>>

Agreed. I haven't really enjoyed the art on amazing spidey since Romita jr's left and I've been dying for him to return.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. He's one of the top Spidey artists, and JMS' run has really gone off the boil without him. I'm also in the group that loved the totem stuff.

Last edited by Dave Wallace on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked JRJr's DD, but that's the only JRJr work that I actually like. I dropped Wolverine during his run with Millar because I couldn't stand the pencils.

I am quite surprised to hear people say the art went downhill on Amazing Spidey considering Deodato took over. His pencils are incredible!!!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Deodato wasn't well served by the fact that his first story was Sins Past... But I agree, the quality of his artwork was excellent. His recent New Avengers stuff just hasn't been anywhere near as good.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to each is own, I guess. I don't hate Dedato, but to me he's still kind of just the T&A guy who came on books like Wonder Woman, Thor and Avengers in the 90's, although I hear his Hulk stuff was pretty good, he really hasn't done much to convince me that he's nothing more than flashy. His page layouts can be chaotic at times as well and his backgrounds are often weak.

Romita Jr. on the other hand is very dynamic, clean, energetic with tons of detail, now I will admit that after seeing his work, or his handling of characters for a number of years I am kind of sadly used to certain qualities of his work, mainly the types of faces he renders, so sometimes it's hard to get excited about hearing he's the penciler on some titles( I sadly missed out on Black Panther and Eternals, cause I wasn't too excited about Romita.), but, nonetheless, when it comes to Spider-man, Romita Jr.'s almost a legend. There's not another artist currently working today who's handle Spidey with more style and energy than Romita jr.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pariah wrote:
nonetheless, when it comes to Spider-man, Romita Jr.'s almost a legend. There's not another artist currently working today who's handle Spidey with more style and energy than Romita jr.

Plus, he's quick and can keep to deadlines (which is a dying art, apparently)! I'm happy to hear he'll be handling Marvel's big summer event next year, as the Civil War delays have really sapped the momentum of the event this year.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
Plus, he's quick and can keep to deadlines (which is a dying art, apparently)!

Very true! If I was an editor, I would love JRJr! As a reader, I do respect his punctuality (sp), and you're right, it's ridiculous when monthlies are delayed for several months on end. We DD fans know a thing or two about that... Razz
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I really liked JRJr's DD, but that's the only JRJr work that I actually like. I dropped Wolverine during his run with Millar because I couldn't stand the pencils.

See I think his work on DD: Man Without Fear was awesome..but his earlier DD work with Nocenti was ok *these two are the only two times I've been in contact with Romita Jr. and DD work*. Of course that was a LONG time ago. I think Romita's work on Spidey went very well. I missed him on that run. To this day the Amazing Spider-Man run has been semi ok. Lately though I've come to like Deodato's work on the whole Civil war thing in Spidey. But the whole Sins Past and The Other art was...kinda boring. Spidey in general due to who he is. Needs a certain flash to it, that Romita Jr. has done very well in. Isn't he the artist that has worked on Spider-Man the most?
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see JRJR on a Daredevil mini. I'd prefer to keep Lark and Aja on the main title.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I hope Bru stay together on DD for a very long time. JRJR on a DD mini...hey that's an idea. You know..i'd kinda want to see Miller do another DD mini if possible with Romita JR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: