Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Wizard World Texas 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Wizard World Texas 2006 Reply with quote

It's time for Wizard World Texas again. This year, I will have a table in Artists' Alley, so no orange volunteer shirt for me!

If you are around Arlington, TX, on November 10-12, drop by and say hi to me and my friend, Kathryn White, who is the creator of the Blue Canary webcomic.

More info at www.wizardworld.com.

And yes, I will have the infamous Daredevil quilts with me. I know you are dying to see them.
Laughing

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there all three days.

...I could use a nice Daredevil quilt.

Who else is coming? First round's on me (but I insist on pictures too, you stereotypically-ugly message board posters you).
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there with two buddies on Friday and Saturday (going to go see the MLS Cup on Sunday... go Dynamo!); we're staying at the Wyndham... will most likely be down in the Wyndham bar area after dinner on Friday night sucking down beers; stalking Bill Sienkiewicz and Ed Brubaker; and trying to trade beers for sketches from inebriated artists.

Look for the three thirty-something comic-geeks drinking the better beer selections; I'll buy second and third rounds.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, bad news from my part of the world. I got ill on Wednesday night and ended up in the hospital. Just got out today (Friday), and had to cancel the weekend entirely. I am so bummed. Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Meador
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you okay? What happened? Maybe it is none of our business, but I hope you are well now.

I am sorry you missed the event.

Take care of yourself,

Eric
www.meadowcreations.com
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday's Minutes from Wizard World Texas
~by Stanley~

12:20--I arrive at the Arlington Convention Center. Can't find a spot anywhere. Park in the back and hike to the front. As I get there, see a man dressed in an airbrushed Dragonball-Z button down shirt whose physique resembles a bubble getting out of his Fiat after he somehow got a really close spot. I note the irony.

12:23--Get inside and IMMEDIATELY accosted by some guy with a sliver of authority.

Him: "Can I HELP you?"
Me: "Yeah, you can start by backing off a few feet."

12:28--Walk the entire place. Stand by a guy as he gets reamed by security. "Do you have a VIP badge? THEN YOU CAN'T BE BACK HERE."

Where am I, Disney World?

12:59--See Richard Kiel, or "Jaws" from James Bond fame.

I could've sworn he was dead.

Actually, he looks pretty good. There's more people at his booth than there are talking to Lou Ferrigno or Noel Neill. I feel bad, but not bad enough to say "What's up" to the Hulk.

1:13--I see the MOST PERFECT MULLET and look down for my camera.

1:14--I pull out my camera and as I go to take a picture, I see a better mullet. The kind of mullet that makes you want to kiss a midget. I'm so awestruck I get NO picture.

My goodness, I'd be more aptly dressed if I went back to what I wore in the early 90s.

1:30--Buy Daredevil 89-90. You know, since I'm here. But I really don't understand why people want to buy comics and toys that they can get at their local comic shop--I mean, sure, some of the stuff was discounted today, but still. Save your money and buy something cool.

1:40--Wander down artist's alley. The big line is for people to be caricatured. This is where society is headed, folks. You know, I always have wanted to bring this whole community of comic readers up and make it a sort of normal accepted-by-the-mainstream thing, but then I see a woman (I think it was a woman, no promises) with stringy blond hair, glasses, and no rack wearing a leather top and leather skirt.

It wouldn't be so bad, but then I see a group of guys CHECKING HER OUT. Come on, dude--you're better than that.

2:14--Talk to a guy with the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. He's nice enough to give me the shpiel. Then I buy an autographed Frank Miller "The Big Fat Kill" for 25 bucks.

2:30--There's a line to play guitar hero and talk to creators. But there's no line to talk to Mercedes McNab from Angel. Can you believe that? This place is completely backwards.

I have to be honest, I still don't really know who she is, but that wasn't gonna stop me from getting an autographed picture and picture with her.

She really should've paid ME for this picture. Her skin was smooth and she smelled great, by the way.

3:00--See "Virgil" of WWF fame. He's alone at a booth. Two guys walk up to him, and he's nice enough to make small talk. Then he says "hey man, I charge for autographed pictures."

I don't hear the price. The guy says something in return. Virgil says, "Oh, that's cool man, there's an ATM out there. You'll come back, right? OK!"

Then I watch the guys turn around and walk away with the "yeah right" look on their faces. I guess you don't get mileage out of holding the Million Dollar Belt like you used to.

(Current mullet count: 11. I wish I was making that up.)

3:12--I go to the Wizard table for the chance to win a Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game. But I have to answer a trivia question, as long as I name the topic. Naturally, I say "Daredevil". The guy's question is then "name 3 women Daredevil has been romantically linked with." I respond, "...that's it? Not 'which ones have died'?" I go with Elektra, Karen Page, and Glorianna O'Breen. I spin the wheel but only end up with free comics. Oh well.

3:30--I go to the Spike TV booth, where there's no line (at the time) to get an autograph from The Naturals, wrestlers with TNA. Nice guys. I even get them to sign something for my niece, who LOVES them. Now I'm gonna have to tune in just because they're good people.

3:58--I leave. More to come tomorrow.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meador wrote:
Are you okay? What happened? Maybe it is none of our business, but I hope you are well now.

I am sorry you missed the event.

Take care of yourself,

Eric
www.meadowcreations.com

Thanks, Eric. It was one of those things that happens, that is a little more serious than I want to admit sometimes. I just have to deal with it when it happens and I land in the hospital. Sucks, really.

I'm really more disappointed for my friend Kathryn, because I wanted her to get a little convention experience in artist's alley. She's very talented and I want to see her do well with her webcomic.

After reading Stanley's dissection of the con, maybe I'm glad I wasn't there for him to shred, too. At least I don't have a mullet.

Smile

Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that, Alice. But at least you can hear about a little of it...

Saturday's Minutes from Wizard World Texas
~by Stanley~

12:28--Arrive at ACC. No weirdass gatekeepers today. I'm a little late for...

12:37--Ed Brubaker Q&A. I start by standing in the doorway of the packed house, and by the end I end up in a seat by virtue of people leaving. In between, I catch some good discussion. Random one-liners from the current writer of Daredevil:

"F*ck Adobe!" (the software manufacturer)
"I've been trying to figure out how much a kilo of Heroin costs."
"All I did was bring Becky Blake back and--OOOH!!--comic fans went crazy."

He answered some good questions, and he's legitimately funny. He knows how to work a room, that's for sure.

1:38--The room finally stops with the questions, so I go into the main convention room. Today is much better--guys who actually seem normal, interacting with other people. People you could actually think you might see in a supermarket or something.

1:39--Then I see them. Costumes. No wonder cynics can't get around the basic conceit of comic books. Because people look ridiculous in their getups.

There's a guy dressed as Nightcrawler.
There's a guy dressed as Batman, with presumably his wife and infant a constant two feet behind.
There's a chick dressed as Phoenix.
There's even a little kid dressed up as Wolverine--really the only one who should be dressing up, I think.

...Don't get me wrong. The people seemed nice. The costumes seemed to have been crafted with tender loving care. But when you meld the two, it just looks laughable.

If you dress up, what do you think on the way from the car to the building? Are you slightly ashamed, or are you proud? If you're proud, do you worry that someone will be dressed in your outfit?

...I don't get it.

I want to take all these pictures, but I really don't want my flash to tip them off and have them come talk to me. Also, I don't think it'd be right to pose with them under false pretenses.

2:00--I stand in the Wizard line. This is what I was talking about yesterday--spin the wheel, win a prize. Well, while I'm in line there's two 15-17 year old girls in front of me talking to this incredibly annoying guy their age behind me.

...I must just be jealous.

ANYWAY

One girl notices that one of the segments on the wheel is "advice", so she says to the guy, "I want that. I wonder what they'd say?"

They'd probably say talking to a guy that repeats everything and sounds like the small dog ("Spike! Spike!") from the Looney Tunes cartoons is something they SHOULD avoid. I should've told them I was a producer or something. No reason.

2:02--Still in line. I've tuned out the surrounding puppy love, just in time to do away with my inhibitions about taking pictures of other people.

Well, I mean, I used my phone as a nice compromise. YOU would've taken this picture too--I know people are like, "why fixate on mullets?" but mainly it's because PEOPLE ACTUALLY WALK AROUND LIKE THIS:

That's right, full-on Venom outfit. And a flowing mullet that really just kicks the crap out of Billy Ray Cyrus or whoever else you want to submit. This kid has his girlfriend in tow and she's totally happy.

Really? I mean...Really? I guess it takes all kinds.

2:10--The guy in the Venom outfit picks Spiderman as his category and ALMOST MISSES the easiest question you can give a Spider-nerd: "What is the full name of Peter Parker's publisher boss?"

...I realize if you don't follow comics, then okay. But HE PICKED THIS and needed 3 minutes and a hint to come up with "J. Jonah Jameson." (Right. They didn't even need to know what the J. was for.) He spins the wheel and gets something like a comic or somesuch.

2:12--The girls spin the wheel, and the annoying guy tries to convince them to sweet-talk the emcee into giving them Marvel Ultimate Alliance for 360 and then giving it to him. It doesn't happen. Obviously.

2:13--I give the category "Sin City". The question's a layup, again. I knock it out and go to the wheel. As I go to spin it, my fingers slip off the pegs and the wheel takes off VERRRRRRYYYYY SLOOWWWLLLLYYYYY.

You know how when 75 year old women get on Price is Right and Bob's like "Remember now, the wheel's got to go ALL the way around"? Yeah. My wheel didn't go all the way around.

I was in the middle of thinking "well, that was a p*ssy spin--" when I look up and notice that it's stopping...on..."MEGA PRIZE!" The whole booth starts freaking out. All I wanted was the video game, and I'm sort of scared that I'm not gonna get it--that something's 'better' to them. But no...instead, they open up every box and give me one of everything. Including the video game I wanted. So, $40 three day pass gets me free $60 game. That's a win in my book.

~count it!~

Now all I need's a 360.

2:34--I go to one of the few weapons tables around, and decide to pick up a collapsible baton and some Batarangs. No particular reason, just want to have some Batarangs on the wall and an impact baton for the hell of it. Yesterday, the price was quoted to me as $70 total. Today, because I just happened to ask a different guy, it cost me $30 to get strapped.

Awesome.

3:00--I think about visiting MSJ's little talk, since he's there. But then I think, "No, sometimes it's important to stop while you're ahead. Why ruin it by listening to something depressing?"

3:10--Get Jeff Jarrett's and Gail Kim's autographs. They're wrestlers for TNA as well, except I guess they were itching to get out of there and I couldn't find an in.

*ACTUAL CONVERSATION*
Me: "Hi!"
Them: "Hi."
(Jeff Jarrett signs his. Gail Kim signs hers.)
Me: "So, I--"
(JJ shoves the completed pictures into my hand.)
Me: "Thanks."
(I walk off.)

I mean, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because they're people too--but it was a stark contrast to yesterday's talk with the Naturals.

3:14--I leave, heavy a free video game, free graphic novel, free autographs, and some weapons. It was a good--and cheap--day.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:
Sorry to hear about that, Alice. But at least you can hear about a little of it...

Saturday's Minutes from Wizard World Texas
~by Stanley~

12:28--Arrive at ACC. No weirdass gatekeepers today. I'm a little late for...

Wait...see, last year, I was the front door person. I wasn't a weirdass! The volunteers had to miss me. Wink

Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking up over Stanley's play-by-play of the WWT event... very succint and accurate, Stanley! Smile

A few additional observations:

Pretty sparsley attended on Friday; not a bad thing for me and my buddies since we got a chance to get most all of our signatures and sketches; but bad for retailers... which could mean doom for future WWT shows.

Saturday picked up considerably; talked with Ed Brubaker for awhile... REALLY neat guy! I handed him a bound Batman: Gotham Adventures to sign (yep, he actually contributed to that mythos as well); we talked about Criminal... confirmed what I'd heard from other sources: when this gets collected they'll be leaving out the "extras"; so go and buy all the Criminal issues as they hit the stands! Don't wait for the trade!

Sat and watched Billy Tucci hold court with a handful of acolytes; it was kind of funny... he was recounting his planned Marvel book, page by page, panel by panel... with a line of people waiting to get things signed... the line did not move for over two hours. But, I'll say this... Tucci is very entertaining, very energetic about the comic medium, and very nice to the fans.

And here's the funniest thing I saw all weekend: Bill Sienkiewicz was a no-show on Friday and a no-show all the way up until 1:30pm on Saturday. BUT... there was a line - a small line mind you of around half a dozen people - who WOULD NOT LEAVE THE LINE; even though there was no Bill S to talk to or get things signed! These people killed all of their Friday (I kid you not, they got in to the line when the doors opened and would not leave until the doors closed) and most of their Saturday. Once Bill DID get there, we got in line and got our signatures within thirty minutes. Unbelievable.

George Perez was his usual wonderful self. Such a great guy!

Things bought: More key books towards my Man-Thing run; sketches from Drew Guraci (Starman fame) and Joe Pekar (awesome Scarlet Witch sketch); Hellboy action figures from Series 2; a really cool Flaming Carrot action figure; and a gun that shoots marshmallows for my wife's six-year-old.

My biggest regret: There was this AWESOME Iron Giant toy/action-figure... it was selling for $150 (found another on e-bay; it's the "ultimate" version); was waiting for the end of the day on Saturday to make an offer figuring that was my best chance to whittle him down a bit; but lost out on it 'cause somebody else bought it two hours prior to me getting back to his table. Ugh! Now I gotta get one off of e-bay...

No real news to report... kind of dead from the Marvel standpoint. Did talk with Mark Hay of Splash Page Art and he confirmed that he'd be selling Duncan Fegrado Hellboy pages and some more Steve Epting Captain America pages... so more opportunity for Mark to have more of my money.

Anyway, off to the MLS Cup this morning... go Dynamo!
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
Alas, bad news from my part of the world. I got ill on Wednesday night and ended up in the hospital. Just got out today (Friday), and had to cancel the weekend entirely. I am so bummed. Crying or Very sad

Sorry to hear this Alice. I know how much you were looking forward to it.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear about this Alice. I hope you are feeling better. Health is EVERYTHING. A show is just a show. There will be more.

C.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yeah, just a show, but one I really was looking forward to attending. Karma must have been off. Wink I got home from the hospital to find a flat on my car. Better in the driveway, than out doing 70 on the interstate, I suppose!

EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
Thanks, guys. Yeah, just a show, but one I really was looking forward to attending. Karma must have been off. Wink I got home from the hospital to find a flat on my car. Better in the driveway, than out doing 70 on the interstate, I suppose!

Hope you're feeling better Diva!
All the best for a speedy recovery, bring on the booth for 2007!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: