Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Winter Soldier One Shot Discussion (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Winter Soldier One Shot Discussion (Spoilers) Reply with quote

As good as both Daredevil and Iron Fist were, this was Kirkman's gold and complete's the trifecta for the week. Perfect score's all around. All I have to say is if this is what 2007 is going to look like, it's good to be a Brubaker fan.

The issue itself was brilliant. The Young Avengers moment was very touching and the characterizations of The Invaders were done very well.

This might have been my favorite issue of the year. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Winter Soldier Reply with quote

I really liked it to. Brubaker is the best!

You said you couldn't find one thing wrong with it, but let me just ask one thing. It may not be a mistake, but here goes.

Why would a database managed by the Avengers have information about Bucky Barnes? In what way would that be useful? As far as any Avenger was couldn't for four decades (or whatever timespan in the Marvel universe) Bucky had been long dead since World War 2.

Oh well. I think the Winter Soldier brings out the best elements in Brubaker's writing. He has really gotten to a rich emotional core with this character.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been telling you and telling you that Bru's Captain America run is better than his DD run. People should go out and pick up his entire run of the series.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkman?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain America was an exceptional work - until Civil War-related events overtook it. Recent issues, I dare say, have been somewhat uninteresting and banal. Herein lies my concern with respect to DD: that Civil War could be the comic's undoing.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Captain America Reply with quote

For the most part I've really enjoyed Brubaker's Captain America run, but it started to lose me around the Time of the Twentieth Century Blitz. I guess I was more into the Winter Soldier than Captain America himself. (I was never really a Cap fan.) During this story I was frustrated that Bucky was relegated to the B-plot. I'll continue picking it up for now, because it's still a good series, but now that the Winter Soldier isn't the main focus (and that was bound to happen), I don't know how much longer.

But anyone here who hasn't read the first dozen or so issues of Brubaker's Captain America run, do yourself a favour and go pick them up. While Brubaker's Daredevil work keeps getting better and better, I don't think it has matched the level of his early Captain America work.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point, Dimetre. Perhaps I, too, was largely drawn to the Bucky revival plotline. On the other hand, even the recent issue that dealt largely with Bucky (Captain America #23, I believe) was a disappointment. No, I suspect it was the sudden inclusion of "Civil War"-related poppycock that has diminished the quality of Brubaker's Cap.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I really disagree. I think his Twentieth Century Blitz was awesome. And his latest 3 issues, that didn't even contain much of Cap himself, were some of his best. Twentieth arc felt like I was watching a movie, how he weaved 5 different characters meeting at one climatic battle. With his latest Civil War stories, it was more about Sharon Carter and Nick Fury, and not having Cap in the stories was more intriguing to me. Then again that's just me.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading Brubaker's Captain America in an attempt to get an idea of what to expect when he took over DD. A friend of mine had tpbs of the Winter Soldier arcs and I thought they were excellent. Although I haven't been picking Cap up monthly I was intrigued enough to pick up this one shot. It was very enjoyable and I really liked the visits to Jack Monroe's and Toro's graves.

While I haven't read the newer Cap issues, I can say that I too was definitely drawn in by the Winter Soldier/Bucky revival storyline. Now that it's through, that may be why I haven't had the dire need to pick Cap up on a monthly basis...but I have little doubt that it's still an above average read - guess I'll find out when I catch up with the HCs.

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Soldier Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
You said you couldn't find one thing wrong with it, but let me just ask one thing. It may not be a mistake, but here goes.

Why would a database managed by the Avengers have information about Bucky Barnes? In what way would that be useful? As far as any Avenger was couldn't for four decades (or whatever timespan in the Marvel universe) Bucky had been long dead since World War 2.
To be really fanboy-ish and respond to this, I would guess that Bucky would be in the Avengers database as a known associate of Captain America, the Defenders, and others possibly from the WWII time period, his name would probably have that big red stamp over the top that says Deceased.

Anyway apologies for not posting sooner, I am horribly behind on my comics, (I've just finished the David Mack run on DD Wink ) I read WS:OS yesterday, a powerful piece, I really enjoyed it, it is by a country mile the best CW one shot or tie in so far. Great writing, good use of the characters and great characterisation of others. Well done Ed Bru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: