Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #93 (Spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade DD #93
A+
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
A
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B+
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
B-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Daredevil #93 (Spoilers) Reply with quote

Hey, thought I'd start this thread since I never have. Well, I haven't read the issue yet, but what did you guys think?? I added a poll cause, as you all know, I like to "quantify" things.

rgj
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

And again, I say "Wow!"

This is a great, great issue. I will go out of my way as saying this may be the best issue Ed Brubaker has written yet on this title. It was pitch-perfect... and even though it sure as hell smells to me that Mister Brubaker hit the "re-set" button with the Daredevil mythology, the delivery of everything in this issue doesn't make me mind all that much.

I will discuss this issue more in a day or two when I have the time to do so. Besides, I'm still basking in the afterglow of this issue's greatness... I need some time to digest it. Very Happy

But... wow! Really.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't purchased it yet, but Fox Limbo has kindled my interest! If "hit the reset button" means no more secret identity revealed poppycock, it is cause for celebration!
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as fox_limbo did, I really enjoyed this issue. I'm still a pretty big fan of issue #86 and all hell breaking loose in Ryker's, but this is a close second to that issue in my mind. Who knows, maybe after a couple more readings my tune will change! I won't get into it TOO much but since this thread IS labeled spoilers, I won't feel bad saying that I like the addition of Becky Blake to the newly re-opened office or how Brubaker ends with Lily flying to NY (after she had seemed to be dismissed as someone who had just been taken advantage of by Vanessa Fisk). You think Matt's going to kick himself for letting her off so easily?

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased #93, and it was truly stellar. The artwork was exceptional. Brubaker has performed admirably, and I applaud him. Matt has a tabula rasa, and I am delighted. Mercifully, there was no mention of the increasingly prosaic Civil War!

I do have some qualms. The abrupt departure of Wilson Fisk is foremost among them. The Kingpin has long been an integral part of the DD mythos. His exit will create a vacuum. Brubaker, hopefully, will introduce some new (and formidable) foes for DD to reckon with. Becky elevated to partner - ? Thus far, Becky has been an uninteresting character. Perhaps she will be developed further. And forgive me if I appear callous, but Matt's mourned Karen long enough. No more grieving. These lamentations ("I miss her") are becoming monotonous. Karen was not a paragon of virtue. She was a former narcotics addict and harlot whose betrayal resulted in Matt's ruination. And Matt's relationship with Karen was not always harmonious. Unless Brubaker intends to revive her, it is time to move on.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Just purchased #93, and it was truly stellar. The artwork was exceptional. Brubaker has performed admirably, and I applaud him. Matt has a tabula rasa, and I am delighted. Mercifully, there was no mention of the increasingly prosaic Civil War!

I do have some qualms. The abrupt departure of Wilson Fisk is foremost among them. The Kingpin has long been an integral part of the DD mythos. His exit will create a vacuum. Brubaker, hopefully, will introduce some new (and formidable) foes for DD to reckon with. Becky elevated to partner - ? Thus far, Becky has been an uninteresting character. Perhaps she will be developed further. And forgive me if I appear callous, but Matt's mourned Karen long enough. No more grieving. These lamentations ("I miss her") are becoming monotonous. Karen was not a paragon of virtue. She was a former narcotics addict and harlot whose betrayal resulted in Matt's ruination. And Matt's relationship with Karen was not always harmonious. Unless Brubaker intends to revive her, it is time to move on.

Perhaps its time for the mythos to change, Kingpin has been shadow of former self for years. His empire has been destroyed twice and his criminal career has cost him the lives of his loved ones. In recent years all of his lieutenants have betrayed him, he has lost most of his money and lost almost all of his clout. Many times can Kingpin be overthrown and rebuild his empire before it becomes stale and just silly. Sometimes a mythos has to change and grow, rather than trying to maintain the same tired status quo. Miller revitalized the DD mythos by changing it the first place, shouldn't Brubaker be allowed to do the same. besides I think other dD villains could be developed real threats, just like Miller did with Kingpin and Bullseye in the 80s.

As for DD and Karen, DD remembers an idealized version of Karen, when a loved one dies, people tend to rember their good qualities and gloss over their flaws. Plus I don't think we had a good arc that dealt with DD's feelings over Karen's death in the main DD title. DD will have to confront his feelings before he can put them to rest. Also keep in mind DD's repressed feelings regarding Karen have recently been brought to the surface because of the pheromones Lilly used on DD, this villain that DD will face soon has a talent for emotional manipulation, so Matt may have to confront his feelings over Karen's death once and for all when dealing with this villain.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD# 93 is a fantastic issue.

There were a number of satisfying emotional pay-offs. Matt reuniting with Foggy, Becky Blake joining the firm as a legal partner, Matt getting back in his lawyer chair. Matt's subconscious longing for Karen was even touched upon. It was even nice seeing Milla Donovan again (I am very interested to see Ed Brubaker delve into her character in the next issue). This issue really had it all.

Then, there was the whole business with Wilson Fisk.

Perhaps, it's the hang-over from Brian Bendis's meticulous storytelling pace (and seemingly still getting used to Ed Brubaker's comparitively quicker jaunt through his yarns), I anticipated an entire arc devoted to the moral dilhemma of springing Wilson Fisk free. I was shocked to see that devlopment happen in just a couple of pages. While people have voiced their disproval of Ed Brubaker "letting the Kingpin go", I found a richness in the interaction between Matt and Big Willie that, for the most part, hasn't been there since Chichester's "Last Rites: The Fall of the Kingpin" (particularly DD# 300, vol. 1). There is a a palpable disdain between the two characters, but there is also a great respect. And Ed Brubaker played this out perfectly.

People seem to believe that this is the end of Wilson Fisk, given the tone and the finality of it. But I'm willing to wager that we haven't seen the last of Big Willie, though.

As I've stated before (and perhaps, to some, nausiatingly so)while I'm in the minority of actually enjoying the ramifications of Matt being outted, and am frustrated with the prospect of the mythology being "re-set" to the status quo (and this issue sure as hell looks like the "re-set" button was pressed; what with the public doubt of Matt believed to be Daredevil seeping in after the latest developments and Matt getting his legal liscense reinstated, how can this not be a "re-set" given the storm that has orbited Matt over the last few years?). I still feel that there were a number of stories that still could be told within the template of Matt being outted (but given the Spider-Man outting and the Civil War thing, superheroes being outted seems to becoming a bit of a gimmick and boardering on the cliche), but Ed Brubaker handled everything very deftly, it would be stupid and pointless of me to argue and vent about it. The writer took me to a place I was reluctant to go and I still enjoyed the ride. Only a great writer can do that. And, in case you haven't noticed, Ed Brubaker is certainly a great writer. Besides, there is still the looming perception, mingled with the public doubt, that Matt is believed to be Daredevil (case-in-point being the reporter calling Matt out as Daredevil during the press conference), so I'm satisfied with that.

It seems to be wrapped up into a nice, little happy ending. Or is it just the calm before the storm?

After what I felt was an artistic lapse in DD#92, the artwork was dynamic in this issue. And Matt Hollingsworth's colors, even though a bit muddled in points, was nearly perfect. The artwork in this issue viscerally complimented Ed's words (as it has done, for the most part, since they took over for Bendis and Maleev). I had said, after last issue, that I missed Alex Maleev's partrayal of "talking heads" and felt the artwork slumped; this issue, however, (essentially another "talking heads" issue) was very, very well done.

This is just a great issue all the way around.
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:

As for DD and Karen, DD remembers an idealized version of Karen, when a loved one dies, people tend to rember their good qualities and gloss over their flaws. Plus I don't think we had a good arc that dealt with DD's feelings over Karen's death in the main DD title. DD will have to confront his feelings before he can put them to rest.

Excellent observations, and I agree. Matt never really tackled the impact of Karen's death, and I was glad to see him finally get a chance to really sort through some of those emotions.

I also agree it may be time to evolve Kingpin's role or let it rest for a good while. He will be back of course, his character still has too much potential to retire him forever.

I've enjoyed every page of Bru's run thus far, I haven't been as entertained by DD books since the days of Miller.

-Don
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think, like Stephan, that Karen's death has been mourned "long enough". Well, long enough, can be, but not properly. Wasn't it a little shocking Matt's relation with Echo so little time after Karen's death? I hope Brubaker brings it to and end, properly, in the next issue. Almost every woman related to Matt dies, but he's been with Karen for the very beggining, it's not like Glorianna's oder Heather's deaths...
By the way, I feel Brubaker is too fast, just like Bendis was too slow. Why didn't he do it a 48-page special? But I think the reason is that he has good ideas for Daredevil and he wanted to close Bendis' opened storyline as quick as possible. And please, Mr. Brubaker, quit smoking if you do and don't dare to roam bad neighbourhoods or something like that before having your future storylines secured in some safebox. Sad
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but remember - in DD Vol. #2 #56-60 Bendis suggested that Matt had suffered a mental breakdown (one that lasted for an extended period of time) and that it stemmed from Karen's death. This matter has been dealt with repeatedly, and it is growing tiresome. Karen's demise undoubtedly had an indelible impact on Matt. But it should not be revisited every 5-10 issues.

Incidentally (and bear in mind that I am a diehard follower of DD), I have long questioned the depth of Matt's feelings for Karen. As I noted, this was not a harmonious relationship. They separated countless times, and with good reason. Matt is tormented by Karen's passing, that is indisputable. But this is primarily because it is a reminder of the pivotal event in his life. The event that truly haunts him - the tragic death of his Father. Each loss Matt has suffered - Heather, Glorianna, Karen - is a reminder of this tragedy. This is why Matt had a mental collapse in the aftermath of Heather's suicide, Glorianna's slaying by Kruel, and Karen's murder. Battling Jack's death was traumatic and scarring, and Matt is still plagued by it. Matt mourns for his Father - not Karen. Perhaps Matt will come to this realization eventually.

Nevertheless, #93 was a stirring and riveting work!
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Ah, but remember - in DD Vol. #2 #56-60 Bendis suggested that Matt had suffered a mental breakdown (one that lasted for an extended period of time) and that it stemmed from Karen's death. This matter has been dealt with repeatedly, and it is growing tiresome. Karen's demise undoubtedly had an indelible impact on Matt. But it should not be revisited every 5-10 issues.

Incidentally (and bear in mind that I am a diehard follower of DD), I have long questioned the depth of Matt's feelings for Karen. As I noted, this was not a harmonious relationship. They separated countless times, and with good reason. Matt is tormented by Karen's passing, that is indisputable. But this is primarily because it is a reminder of the pivotal event in his life. The event that truly haunts him - the tragic death of his Father. Each loss Matt has suffered - Heather, Glorianna, Karen - is a reminder of this tragedy. This is why Matt had a mental collapse in the aftermath of Heather's suicide, Glorianna's slaying by Kruel, and Karen's murder. Battling Jack's death was traumatic and scarring, and Matt is still plagued by it. Matt mourns for his Father - not Karen. Perhaps Matt will come to this realization eventually.

Nevertheless, #93 was a stirring and riveting work!

Yeah but Karen death was more or less an after thought explaination for the mental break out, that arc didn't explore his feelings about Karen's death in any sort of detail, it was just a means to explain Matt's breakdown.

It seems like Matt has more or less repressed his feelings about Karen (besides saying "I miss Karen" now and again) and the writers have not dealt with Matt's reaction to Karen's death in a meaningful way. Ignoring it would be a mistake, let Matt truly confront these feelings so they can be put to rest. The fact is Matt can be touched by deaths other than his father's and Matt did love Karen despite the flaws in their relationship (a lot of real couples love eachother and have screwed up relationships). The only way to resolve these issues to confront them, not ignore them.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Here we go! Karen's death.

Let's get down to the brass-tacks of this.

Both Stephan and Overlord bring up valid points on this.

Matt's mental breakdown was only a theory presented by Ben Urich, it is not concrete fact. Given the probability of it, Matt's reaction to those words Ben presented, it was simply accepted (although some readers refused to outright accept it); the thing is, it was never outright explained or expanded upon... it was, simply, dropped.

THe only time Matt properly mourned Karen was at the funeral and playing the piano in DD#9, when Natasha crashed his pity-party. That's it! Matt mourned Foggy's "death" more than he mourned Karen's. Foggy and Karen had been with Matt since DD#1 (vol. 1) and the history of their relationships should garner more than a handful of pages of comic book continuity. Hell, Matt mourned Eletra's death more so, and the history of their relationship pales in scale to that of the relationship between Matt and Karen.

Matt was not allowed to mourn her death. Period.

The fact that Matt still loves, and misses, Karen (despite his love and marriage with Milla) seems to strike a cord. Some people feel it is senseless and inconsequential that Karen's death still remains a tragedy. If you talk to an 80 year old man (or woman), they will still talk fondly of a spouce despite their passing 10, 15, or even 20 years ago. It represents the fact that the person that passed had emotionally, and perhaps spiritually, penetrated that person. The passing of a loved one still stings and the tragedy still lingers, no matter how much time happens to pass. Perhaps, in an odd way, people's mourning for someone is a celebration of that person.

Keep in mind, Matt's feelings for Karen had resurfaced due to his exposure to Lilly's "perfume", which brought Karen back, in an emotionally and subconscious level. Given everything Matt has been dealing with, his love and respect of Karen had been buried. His resolved feelings and emotions of Karen's death had simply resurfaced.

Matt had not properly healed from and mourned Karen's death. It's that simple.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for "B". Here's why:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/117043317648144.htm

It was a tough one for me. The book is technically not badly written or drawn, but I feel like the way it tied up all the loose ends of the last 5+ years cheapened it a little. There's some good stuff in there, and I'll probably keep reading DD, but it felt like a cop-out after such a huge story has been running for so long.

Can you tell I'm a bit conflicted about this? Smile
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the record I went with "B+" when I maybe should of gone with "A-".

First off, let it be known that I think Ed is the master of pacing. I am quite in awe at how well the prison scene played out between Matt and Wilson. Choice words exchanged leading to the single most brilliant panel of Wilson's expression telling it all. Bru and Lark truly act as one person telling a story as this scene shows.

I was as happy as little school girl when everyone was reunited. No, I don't mind admitting this. Very Happy

I was very happy to see that Bru is taking Becky places and that she is not disappearing anytime soon. Yay Becky! (there is that happy little school girl again)

I think the only disappointment I have with this issue is the fact that it really feels like a reset. A quick reset. Bru has assured us this isn't the case and, obviously, the man knows what lies ahead while we all have to hang on for another 30 and so on.

I am going to continue to sound like a broken record here. Forgive me. I want my OVERSIZED Bru/Lark DD hardcovers!

C.
Ed Brubaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, maybe your idea of a reset and mine are different. Having Matt be able to practice law in some form again is not a reset to me. Bendis' last few years on the book were about Matt losing everything, my first year was about how far that can go, and now, it's about him trying to get back as much as he can. Whether he succeeds or not is what comes next. It's a pendulum swing, not a reset. Until the Murdock Papers story, Matt was practicing law and the feds were leaving him alone. That's the only true change coming out of this last issue.

And a point on the review, Dave -- Matt was not expelled from the BAR. He was not convicted of a crime. At the most, he would have had his license suspended until the case was decided. With the govt. dropping charges, it wouldn't have been hard to get his license reinstated.

I know some of you feel a lot happened quickly, but that was the intent. I view the whole first year as one big arc, and wanted a definitive end, basically.

If it comes out in a nice big oversized hardback, you'll be happy that it does, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: