Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #93 (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade DD #93
A+
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
A
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B+
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
B-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
Personally, I think Matt is torn up about Karen and always will be.

No doubt. But again, Matt also suffered mental breakdowns in the aftermath of Heather's suicide and Glorianna's slaying by Kruel! There is a pattern here - each fatality is a reminder of Battling Jack's death during Matt's formative years. Jack's death preys on Matt's mind - it torments him. Jack's death has shaped the contours of Matt's life.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Is Steve Rogers (who was under the influence of a drug at the time, and should have been vulnerable) simply more steadfast than Matt Murdock, or was Matt all-too-willing to be seduced?

No. I think Captain America is obviously gay. Who was the writier of Cap then? Mark Grunwald (sp?)? Me thinks ol' Mark just didn't want to complicate his story so he just dismissed Mary's powers. Again, Stephan, we agree to disagree.

As for Brubaker mentioning the focus on the sense of smell in the second arc, I did notice that and thought it was refreshing to see a sense other than hearing or the radar being focused on. I also noticed how those sense could betray our hero (in both arcs). I think too many DD writers sometimes write about how great it is to have these senses, it's also good to be reminded how they could impact our hero in a negative way. I think it's important for a DD writer to explore all of Matt's senses, as this is how Matt "sees" the world.

rgj
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap is gay? Does Bucky know? This would explain why Cap ditched (the incredibly attractive) Diamondback all those years ago! Yes - the late Mark Gruenwald penned "Streets of Poison." His tenure on Captain America was a remarkable one. Incidentally, when Matt attempted to explain his liason with Mary to Karen ("but she was Typhoid Mary...") in DD Vol. #1 #294, Karen didn't buy it. Neither do I.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
And a point on the review, Dave -- Matt was not expelled from the BAR. He was not convicted of a crime. At the most, he would have had his license suspended until the case was decided. With the govt. dropping charges, it wouldn't have been hard to get his license reinstated.

My mistake, I was under the impression that he had been expelled. Sorry for this error. I need to reread some backissues!

As I said, I was incredibly conflicted about how I reacted to this issue: although the execution was great, it felt like a very quick return to the status quo after a year of great stories which really took the character to some new places. However, I'm still keen to see where the book goes next - it's still one of the best and most involving superhero titles on the market.

rgj wrote:
And, Ed Brubaker is right, Matt has to be a lawyer again. That's not a re-set, that's . . . just right. Matt being a lawyer is just as important as he wearing the DD costume.

I actually agree with this, yeah. He has to return to practise law at some point. I just didn't think it would happen so quickly (but as Ed says, he stopped more recently than we think).

Ed Brubaker wrote:
Also -- not a single person noticed that our main subtext the first two arcs were -- Matt's hearing, in Cell Block D, and Matt's sense of smell, in Takes a Ride. I was so proud of that, so I'm pointing it out.

That is pretty well done. I'll reread them with that in mind. Can we look forward to more sensual subtext (so to speak)?
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's more sensual than the sense of touch? Cool
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: A Reply with quote

I give it an A.

As Dave Wallace pointed out, the secrety identity outting plot had been going on for 5+ years. It was played out, and had been explored to death. Now his identity is secrety again, and we can move on to other issues. Amen and hallelujah!

I loved the scene between Matt and Fisk. When that scene began a voice in my head said, "Matt, what the hell are you doing?" But then he explained himself -- he is taking responsility for his actions. He is willing to own up the part he played in turning Vanessa into what she became. It's even better by the fact that he didn't even have to do this. It's something he chose to do. Add in Matt's comment about how tired he is of lying, and Matt is suddenly noble again. No longer the asshole Bendis called him. Matt hasn't been this noble since the start of all the secret identity crap.

As for mourning Karen, I think Stephan is alone in thinking that Matt has properly mourned her. After Karen was killed, Matt ran to Maya Lopez, went after Kate Vinokur, and married Milla. He had never taken the time be alone and take stock of himself, which is really the only way to let someone go.

I have to ask, what is a nervous breakdown really? It's been stated that Matt suffered nervous breakdowns after the deaths of Elektra, Heather, Glorianna, and Karen. If a nervous breakdown means he was distraught and his decisions were affected accordingly, then I guess he suffered nervous breakdowns. The term sounds more serious than that, though. It sounds like your nervous system breaks down. Maybe the term is simply overused.

Nervous breakdown or not, Matt has simply not taken the time or done the work to properly mourn Karen. It seems like he has been actually avoiding it. Getting married? That never sat right with me, and it certainly doesn't look like it's going to last. The perfume was a perfect device to show that he has never moved on.

Regarding Fisk losing his American citizenship, I don't mind at all. The Kingpin has been overused in Volume 2. For years practically every writer on Daredevil has had the Kingpin be the source of Matt's misery. He's like a crutch. Kudos to Brubaker for taking him out of the toybox. I think by removing the Kingpin, Brubaker is giving himself a challenge and is allowing the comic to move forward. I think he's up for it.

Did the issue play out a little too quickly? Perhaps, but it's amazing that it all played out as well as it did in such a small amount of space.
mattscottbaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: 93 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I agree with most of you in that 93 does in fact seem like a reset button. But I don't mind. Though DD's identity-outing problems will continue forever and ever (is there anybody that DOESN'T know at this point?), I'm glad that this particular struggle is over, and really I'm glad to see the Fisk fam out of the picture (at least for now). Kingpin's character needs to evolve a bit.

However, was anybody else a little bit upset with the ending? Lily getting on the plane to New York City? uuuuuuggggghhhhhh

I enjoy matt's emotional struggles and all, but for once, and please forgive me, but for now I'd really like to see DD get back into protecting hell's kitchen and BEATING UP BAD GUYS!!!!!! please lay off the soap opera junk for a few issues.

Also, here's a question. Did Lily's pheromone-perfume make men think of their happiest memory involving any women, or was it specifically meant to remind men of women that they were romantically involved with?
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily's pheromone perfume did not trigger based on romantic interactions with women, but more on a level just connected to happy moments with mowen. -If that's not the case, we have to worry about Matador saying Lily reminded him of his mother.[/quote]
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also guess that Lily's return is what the solicitation meant by "the woman from Matt's past that derails his life." I guess it should have read: very recent past!

rgj
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the reset button has been hit persay. Doubt has been cast on whether Matt is really DD or not, but its not like there won't be many will still suspect that Matt is DD, like the reporter in the press conference.

Also consider that half of DD's rogues are paranoid psychopaths. Guys like Bullseye and Purple Man are paranoid to believe that Matt somehow faked the note that proves he isn't DD. Plus they are psychopathic enough to try and kill Matt just in case he is DD. If they were 90% sure that Matt was not DD, they would kill Matt anyway to hedge their bets. If Matt wasn't DD they would have killed an innocent man, but so what, they do that for kicks every day.
mattscottbaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh that would be extremely upsetting. i was really hoping sister maggie would show up and come clean...
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo the above-mentioned sentiments with respect to Lily's imminent return - unless, of course, Lily is not who she appears to be.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of sounding like i have a "man-crush"....i hope that brubaker is on this title for a very long time. i am really enjoying this book. please keep up the good work.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
Also -- not a single person noticed that our main subtext the first two arcs were -- Matt's hearing, in Cell Block D, and Matt's sense of smell, in Takes a Ride. I was so proud of that, so I'm pointing it out.

Wow! I never saw this. Thanks for pointing this out. Matt's hearing was so crucial in determining Foggy's demise. I don't have the issue in front of me, but I know that Matt was left hanging there just concentrating on Foggy's heartbeat to the point where it was beyond Matt's capability to hear it. He comes to the wrong conclusion only because his friends around him believe Foggy to be dead. His friends conclude what his hearing could not and this Matt's mistake. In the second arc, Matt's sense of smell misleads him into thinking Lily was completely innocent. Interesting to see Matt being overwhelmed by a particular sense that result in making the wrong decisions.

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the arc focusing on Matt's taste.

Matt - "Milla, your pizza is incredible! I could eat this every night. I can't believe this isn't take out."

Milla - . o O (Oh Matt, it is take out. I don't think I can keep this lying up anymore. Why can't Matt tell I'm lying?)

Milla runs off crying

Matt - . o O (Why does she run off crying like that everytime we have pizza? Can't she take a compliment? This pepperoni is just incredible! Its so spicy that makes my other senses numb. I have to find out what she does to the pepperoni taste this perfect.)

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: