Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #93 (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade DD #93
A+
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
A
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B+
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
B
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
B-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

FatalRose
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly just hope the Kingpin thing is over and done with. Hopefully this is the end of Fisk in DD comics for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatalRose wrote:
I honestly just hope the Kingpin thing is over and done with. Hopefully this is the end of Fisk in DD comics for the most part.

Not that I don't see where you're coming from - but how is Daredevil ever going to establish a bonafide legendary rogue's gallery if all villains who have "run their course" (in my opinion, a misnomer in comics) are simply cast aside? Especially a villain as important to the character as Kingpin. The Turtles have The Shredder, Batman has the Joker, and Daredevil has the Kingpin.

That said, I do hope this puts Kingpin out of commission for awhile, so that DD's list of legitimate villains can grow, opening the comic up for some really killer storylines. I loved seeing the Matador a few issues back, but he ultimately came off as an inconsequential lacky. Without villains who have a geniune ideological schizm with the hero, you just have a bunch of dildos who are robbing banks for the sake of money... not necessarily bad, but hardly good reading.

I'm just praying that Purple Man doesn't make an appearance.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 votes and only a single "B" as the lowest grade. This is quite impressive coming from the insane bunch we are. Wink

I have a hunch about Bru and a 2007 Eisner getting together.

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Simply breathtaking!

This issue packed so much punch that I could barely believe it! In the modern era of six issue/month arcs for every miniscule little detail (especially modern DD), this issue stands out. Every event was carefully planned out, true to the character/lore and something to genuinely excite long time fans and newbies alike:

Becky joining up with Matt and Foggy is brilliant!

...just too much to mention. I gave it a solid A and I'm sure I'll be talking about this issue for some time.

The best Brubaker issue to date and dare I say the best vol. 2 issue. Cool
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to tell Mr. Bru that I really love your Cap and Iron Fist titles as well as DD of course. I think everyone knows how much I've been raving about your run on Cap when I didn't know you'd be reading, but who hasn't enjoyed all of your titles from Criminal to Cap to Iron Fist. The only one I haven't read is X-Men. But I've been a big advocate of your Cap run being better than your DD though DD is my favorite comic. Your second arc of Cap being almost cinematic and intense where you seem to bring different characters to a climactic showdown. I've also loved your Civil War run when Cap is hardly in that 3(?) issue arc. Bravo to you.

Also I'm glad you pointed out that you wrote the first arc focused on his hearing abilities and your second arc on his smell. That surprised me how nobody realized that, but now I see it. You fooled all the DD fans here I guess.

Keep up the good work.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party, but late getting my comics this time, too.

I call this a most solid A. The way the story tied up a lot of loose ends was very satisfying to me. I wondered how Matt would explain his hostage situation, and the line at the press conference about "I'll tell you my story" was a sterling example of lawyer-ese. Ben Urich's question, so well-timed. Very well done, Mr. Brubaker.

I nearly wept over the page with Foggy and Matt hugging like long lost brothers (in a way, they almost are). Great art on that page.

I'm happy to see Becky as part of the firm, although they must have put in a private lift for her to access that second floor office. (No freight elevator, or those guys moving the big boxes would certainly be using it!) Now she can afford a spiffier chair, too. Smile

We have Matt and Milla back together for a while, at least, until she figures out he's lying there with Karen on his mind. Made me think of that old Conway Twitty song when I read that page.

I didn't like the thought at first of Matt being Fisk's attorney, but when I read the reasoning, and the terms of the deal, it became apparent that it wasn't just Matt covering his own bets, rather it was Matt honoring the memory of someone who had once been a decent person. I loved that he took responsibility for part of her downfall.

We even got a couple of pages of Matt back in the red threads! Hooboy! Something for almost everyone, except the ones who want some ass-kicking with their comics. (I did think we might see Foggy deck that assinine co-worker, though.)

I will also be happy to see this in oversized hardcover!

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
I didn't like the thought at first of Matt being Fisk's attorney, but when I read the reasoning, and the terms of the deal, it became apparent that it wasn't just Matt covering his own bets, rather it was Matt honoring the memory of someone who had once been a decent person. I loved that he took responsibility for part of her downfall.

My thoughts as well. However, I wonder if it was more than that. Fisk has snaked his way through legal problems in the past and I wouldn't have been surprised if he was climbing back up the crime ladder in no time. I'm sure Matt knew this. He also knew how the death of a life-long love can tear a person down. (Remember Fisk's love for his wife from the early Elektra Saga and "Love and War.") So, Matt may have decided that since Fisk will get out regardless, he may as well be the one to do it but manipulate him in the process. When Matt was around Fisk, he could not have been much more dramatic about Vanessa's death. I think Matt knew that Fisk would agree to leaving the country because of the heightened emotional state that Matt helped aggrevate. Fisk may have simply returned as the Kingpin of crime, if Matt never confronted him about Vanessa's death.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
FatalRose wrote:

Not that I don't see where you're coming from - but how is Daredevil ever going to establish a bonafide legendary rogue's gallery if all villains who have "run their course" (in my opinion, a misnomer in comics) are simply cast aside? Especially a villain as important to the character as Kingpin. The Turtles have The Shredder, Batman has the Joker, and Daredevil has the Kingpin.

That said, I do hope this puts Kingpin out of commission for awhile, so that DD's list of legitimate villains can grow, opening the comic up for some really killer storylines. I loved seeing the Matador a few issues back, but he ultimately came off as an inconsequential lacky. Without villains who have a geniune ideological schizm with the hero, you just have a bunch of dildos who are robbing banks for the sake of money... not necessarily bad, but hardly good reading.

I don't see what the problem with Purple Man is, the guy is psychopath rapist now. Ever seen Law and Order: SVU, sex crimes bring up all sorts interesting legal stituations. He fits in prefectly with the current DD's world.

Miller had to revamp Kingpin and Bullseye to make them into villains that had a ideological schizm with DD, Kingpin and Bullseye were fairly generic before Miller came along. Why couldn't Brubaker do that with some other DD villains? I'm glad Kingpin is taking vacation he was started to get overexposed and stale. Frankly I was getting kinda sick of writers aping Miller relying on Kingpin and Bullseye as the sole villains that be a threat to Matt or even be interesting characters in the DD books. I'm glad to see Brubaker is brave enough to chart out some turf in the DD title. Kudos.

Matador II was okay, I didn't really care for him and I'm not sure he can hold his own arc, but its step in the right direction. I have faith he will do some great things with some other B-list villains in the future.
FatalRose
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
FatalRose wrote:

I thought the Matador was an awesome character too, but I don't think they handled him properly in the end. Hopefully he is brought back, they can really make him a serious threat to matt and a awesome rival/villain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silvermane23
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a good ending for this story line. There was no where else to take the story. I will admit though it was kind of a coup out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: