Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Do you like the Direction Brubaker has taken in DD so far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Do you like the Direction Brubaker has taken in DD so far? Reply with quote

Do you like the Direction Brubaker has taken in DD so far? Also in light of current events (Matt regaining his old life, Kingpin leaving the US) what would you like to see happen in the future in DD?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE it! Seriously, Brubaker gets DD and the supporting cast better than any DD writer since Mack wrote Parts of a Hole. At this point, I'd list Brubaker in my top 5 favorite DD writers... possibly top 3.

Now, I have a huge bias in favor of Brubaker. Well before he started his DD run, I was ranting on this board about how monumental his DD run will be. I based that off his work on Catwoman, Gotham Central and Captain America. What gripped me then is part of what still grips me on his writing today; he can write any character perfectly. Heck, the guy is writing outstanding Uncanny X-Men stuff right now! How much more diverse can you get and still hit the nail on the head every time?! Sure, some writers, like Miller, Millar, Ellis and Bendis will try to write every character but they fall on their faces fairly regularly. Not that I am bashing them. They each have their own amazing niche but they cannot escape that niche very well. Not so with Brubaker. He can go from uber-gritty Gotham Central to the uber superhero, Captain America to an epic space drama with the X-Men, Shi'iar Empire and the Starjammers! Razz

The man gets behind the characters and writes stories that strike the heart of the fans and the mythos. (Even with little thing: I LOVE the moment when Matt used the name "Mike Murdock" on his passport! Smile) I feel like more character development has taken place in the past year of DD than all the years since "Parts of a Hole." (Except for perhaps, Urich... despite Murdock Papers, Bendis wrote a good Urich.) Likewise, the only Captain America I have read is Brubaker's volume and Cap went from nothing to my second favorite Marvel character in a couple dozen issues.

At this point, Brubaker can do no wrong. I'd read a Franklin Richards/Dazzler ongoing, if he wrote it!
Max
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, after being a fan of Ed's Catwoman and GCPD, I am not surprised at all how good the title is. When the word was out that he was going to Marvel my first thoughts were:"crime noir? Daredevil...no-brainer".

On a side note, when Daredevil was in Europe it kind of reminded me of when Catwoman took a five or so issue jaunt through the DCU cities.

What do I want to see in the future? I dont know. I look at the last two arcs has transitioning from Bendis! to where Ed wants to go. I look forward to what awaits me.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost as if in these first issues that Bru has finally shaken off the after effects of the Bendis stuff and can finally take the book in the direction he wants to, and not to places that have almost been imposed on him. Not that taking Matt had to go to Europe was imposed or anything, but certainly the narrative that Bendis left behind can now itself be left behind.

He's done very well so far, but I look forward with much more interest to where the book is heading now. Wherever/whatever that is, is what I will remember the Bru/Lark run for in the future. I have very high hopes.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this run!!! Daredevil has had his ups and downs. Even though mostly ups from great writers such as Miller and Bendis there have been some bad writers on the series. Ed Brubaker is not one of them!!!! I feel that he's better than Bendis' run right now. That's pretty amazing. I love his work as you guys said as well. I loved GCPD (it will be missed), Catwoman, and Batman when he wrote. As well as what Forrest said, I too have the same feelings for his X-Men and Captain America run thus far. Brubaker, in my personal opinion, could very well be the second coming of Frank Miller for Daredevil.

As for what I want to happen in the future of this title. You can tell that Brubaker is making sure to start from a new slate. Wherever he goes I'll be gladly to follow in this series. The main thing I want to see is Daredevil going against some redone B-list villians. Just like Tombstone.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetruebeliever wrote:
Brubaker, in my personal opinion, could very well be the second coming of Frank Miller for Daredevil.

I agree that Bru is the best thing in Volume 2 (and alot of Volume 1). Don't know if he'll ever be the second coming of Miller (Bendis was given that title two arcs into his run, and really never lived up to that title). Still, Bru does have that potential. But, just remember, Miller didn't have the eggheads at Marvel telling him, no, ordering him, to make "the Hood" the new Kingpin. No, Miller was given 100% creativity (with some minor editing) and Mlller BECAME Miller. Seems to me that Brubaker isn't going to be given the same creative freedom.

So far, I love the new direction Bru has us on. And, I would love to see DD go up against some villains like Tombstone (again), Taskmaster (you know, the character "Echo" is royally ripping off), and even guys like Bushwacker and Bullet. Hopefully Bru will treat these characters with more respect than Bendis did. Seriouly, Bendis basically laughed at DD's rogues gallery, under Bendis, characters like The Owl, Bullet, Shotgun, and Typhoid Mary were so easily disposed of.

Oh, and I think Bru should bring back Melvin Potter. I think Matt should get him out of jail.

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Miller had his complete creative freedom, Daredevil would of killed a lot more people than the guy in MWOF and the chopper pilot in Born Again. This may of been the only noticable limit imposed on Miller's creative freedom.

As for Bru's run, it has been truly amazing so far. I think we do not give enough credit to the very fact that this is Quesada's favorite character and, as fans here, we are blessed that Quesada, being in the position that he is, has put the right people on this book. We are approaching 100 issues since the relaunch and 85-90% of it is gold. This is a great record.

I have read most of Bru's work (everything from Scene of the Crime to now except for Uncanny) and I am not the least suprised to see that he is such a perfect fit on Daredevil. I think the real test (how his Daredevil run will rate) begins now. He has taken the Bendis/Maleev run to a conclusion of sorts with his first 2 arcs and he has a chance to really put his stamp on the book from here on out. I hope he is around for the next couple of years. I hope Lark remains onboard too. I have liked his work for quite some time now. Not enough praise goes out to him on this site. Love ya' Lark! Very Happy

C.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Ed Brubaker - just like Brian Michael Bendis before him - has really nailed this character. I'm a little concerned at his work load, not that I don't trust Ed, but I don't want to see the quality on DD suffer simply because he gets more wrapped up in a particular Iron Fist story or something.

The only other thing is that, after seeing a bit of Lark's work, I prefer Alex Maleev's more realistic rendering of human anatomy (filtered, of course, through Alex's trademark style) to Michael Lark's tendency to depict Matt and others as a bit chunkier and to render details in a slightly vague way. A simple personal preference, not even a complaint, really, as I enjoy both artists' styles.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
I think that Ed Brubaker - just like Brian Michael Bendis before him - has really nailed this character.

Bendis "nailed" the character? I beg to differ. Bendis frequently depicted Matthew Michael Murdock as feeble, fragile and ineffectual ("Oh Foggy, how did this happen?"), which he most assuredly is not. His familiarity with the protagonist was definitely open to question (DD - who has fled the authorities countless times in the past - surrendering to the FBI?!). Brubaker's DD (resolute, purposeful, strong-willed and relentless) is more faithful and accurate.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
I hope Lark remains onboard too. I have liked his work for quite some time now. Not enough praise goes out to him on this site. Love ya' Lark! Very Happy

Agreed! Lark's work has the slightly abstract, gritty realism that artists like Maleev embrace, while still maintaining the organic flow and emotional expression of more traditional artists like Bagley. I cannot say that about any other artists, off the top of my head. Tons have that gritty tone (Maleev, Barrionuevo, Saiz, Pina, etc.) but they all have a neccesarily cold, sterile feel to their art. No offense to these artists; that is just the sacrifice that seems to occur for pursuing this art style. However, Lark breaks that mold fantastically!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: