Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Favorite Indie Creator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Favorite Indie Creator Reply with quote

I would define an indie creator was one who does most of their work with the indie/creator-owned published. So, Busiek wouldn't count for Conan, etc.

My fav is Jim Mahfood. (He's also my favorite comic artist, all around.) He packs more fun, energy, entertainment and life into his comics than any other creator I know. I highly recommend! Very Happy
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Forrest,

My fave indie creator is B Clay Moore, I've bought his last two efforts religiously, Battle Hymn and Leading Man. Leading Man only finished last month, but like Battle Hymn, really struggled with shipping, must take a year to get out five issues. He also writes Hawaiian Dick, but I've never read that. My only complaint about BCM is that he can't finish a book, Battle Hymn was an amazing book, but really sucked with #5 of #5, he seemed to weave a complicated web, good enough for a maxi-series or even an on-going and then smashes all that good work to pieces with a crap last issue. Leading Man was similar in this respect, but was left wide open for more issues or another series. So I always buy BCM and would recommend Battle Hymn and Leading Man dispite their failings.

Another Indie creator(s) that I would recommend would be Christopher Golden and Tom Sniegoski, this is purely on the back of the amazing Talent (From Boom Studios). My LCS mate forced me at point of rape to read "Talent", he was right in his insistence. An amazing read, though same as B Clay Moore, crap ending, 4 issue series about 3.5 issues of great set up and foundation laying and then 1/2 issue rush the ending. This is still open but should have been done better, again a Maxi or on-going was definately on the cards. This on how amazing this was, I would definately recommend Christopher Golden and Tom Sniegoski.

If any else does read things from other than the big two, then Boom Studios has had some pretty good stuff. One of my all-time top 5 favourite reads was from Boom Studios about 18 months ago called "10", this has nothing to do with Bo Derek, unfortunately! It was by Keith Giffen (who I hadn't heard of at the time) and I was totally blown away by the story, would make a great movie if someone ever decided. Link is attached below. I also picked up Whisper from Boom as well, never heard of the character, but really enjoyed the story.

http://www.boom-studios.com/ten.html
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahfood is going to be at CAPE in Dallas on May 5, Forrest. He and Mack will be participating in the live art night, and I can hardly wait!

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Robert Kirkman still count?

Invincible and The Walking Dead are both knock down awesome and unbelievably different.

With all his mainstream success lately he's a little less indy but his creator owned stuff is by far the best stuff he does so I say he counts.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
My fave indie creator is B Clay Moore

I'll have to check this out. I remember seeing Hawaiian Dick #1 and thought it looked interesting but I never picked it up.

Darediva wrote:
Mahfood is going to be at CAPE in Dallas on May 5, Forrest. He and Mack will be participating in the live art night, and I can hardly wait!

That's awesome! I have yet to make it to such an event but I think I'll make the trek to the San Diego Comic Con, this year. (Are these things as scary as they look? Razz)

james castle wrote:

I'm going to say "yes, but a special case." I've never read his indie stuff. Still, I appreciate fairly big name Marvel/DC creators who play in the indie sandbox. E.g. Kirkman, Vaughan, Busiek, etc. (As amazing as Busiek's DC and Marvel is, Astro City and Conan are his best. Cool)
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
The Privateer wrote:
My fave indie creator is B Clay Moore

I'll have to check this out. I remember seeing Hawaiian Dick #1 and thought it looked interesting but I never picked it up.

I've just found this Newsarama link to Leading Man's complete first issue on-line. May be worth a go, I enjoyed it anyway.

http://www.newsarama.com/Oni/LeadingMan/01/LEadingMan01_full.html
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

james castle wrote:

I'm going to say "yes, but a special case." I've never read his indie stuff. Still, I appreciate fairly big name Marvel/DC creators who play in the indie sandbox. E.g. Kirkman, Vaughan, Busiek, etc. (As amazing as Busiek's DC and Marvel is, Astro City and Conan are his best. Cool)

I'd say Kirkman and Vaughan are indie creators who play in the Marvel/DC sandbox from time to time.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, David Petersen (Mouse Guard).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: