Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil 8: Echo - Vision Quest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Daredevil 8: Echo - Vision Quest Reply with quote

Hello Might Marvelites! I have a big problem. Ever since discovering the site, I have begun getting everything DD I can find. In a bid to bring myself up to date with current continuity I have been purchasing all the TPBs of the Bendis run before joining in the new (and possibly improved) Brubaker run on DD. However, I am unable to find any copies of DD 8: Vision Quest. Its been out of print forever! And any searches on Amazon bring up ridiculously priced 2nd hand copies, of which I will definitely not be purchasing.

Long story short, does any one know if this will ever come back in print? If so, when? ALternatively, does anyone have a very good conditioned copy of this elusive TPB for sale?

Any info would be mucho appreciated!!

P.S Why are the 2nd hand copies so bloody expensive???
Marvel Knight
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a bunch of rare comics, graphic novels, and models from mycomicshop.com from Lone Star Comics based out of Arlington Texas. They're great, and their online store is pretty extensive.

You can get individual issues from the series plus the Daredevil: Vision Quest TPB (for a low price) right here: http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=daredevil+vision+quest&x=0&y=0&pl=&PubRng=&GrdRng=&PrcRng=
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marvel Knight. Its been bugging me, not being able to find that. I will place an order with them, and hope for the best. The grade selection is a little worrying, as I just want a brand new one. We will see how it goes.

Any thoughts on why this particular TPB is not being reprrinted, but the others seem to be? And assuming I dont get it, wiil it affect my reading by missing out on it all together and getting the DD #9 TPB?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started collecting DD in 1988 when I was 10. The first issue I bought "on time" (i.e. when it was released) was #258. From that issue onward I bought every issue of DD the week it came out...until Vision Quest. For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to buy the issues. I wasn't a big fan of Mack (as a writer) or of Echo (who is, in my not so humble opinion, crap) and I just couldn't do it. As I slipped further and further behind I ended up resigning myself to not buying the issues. In fact, I ended up using the break to switch to trades. I bought the first 3 HCs and then Volume 9 when it came out. Forever skipping volume 8.

To this day I'm happy I did. I think Marvel has actually confirmed that Vision Quest is actually an Echo mini-series that they shoe horned into Daredevil so that Bendis could take a break. Pretty cheap and crappy move if you ask me. That's also probably why it's out of print.

As for if it's necessary: if I can skip Vision Quest after two decades of DD, you can skip Vision Quest.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drazaq wrote:
Any thoughts on why this particular TPB is not being reprrinted, but the others seem to be? And assuming I dont get it, wiil it affect my reading by missing out on it all together and getting the DD #9 TPB?

If I may comment, I am inclined to believe that the print run for this tpb (vol.8 ) was rather small due to the demand. Bendis/Maleev had quite a following on DD. This 5-parter (vol.8 ) is an Echo story (by Mack) that does not factor in any significance towards the plotline of the Bendis/Maleev run on DD. You can quite easily read vol.7 tpb and then read vol.9 tpb without feeling any sort of speedbump or loss.

This is not to suggest that vol.8 is unworthy to have in your collection. No sir! This too beautiful! However, be warned. If you are not familiar with David Mack, this type of storytelling may not be for you.

C.
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all your help people! I have already ordered volume 8 from mycomicshop.com. However, I will probably be getting volume 9. before then, so at long last my DD fixes (currently supplemented by Y:The Last Man) can resume!

Quote:
However, be warned. If you are not familiar with David Mack, this type of storytelling may not be for you.

I am familiar with Mack...or at least his previous work on DD. I am expecting some strange panel layouts and good art from him. My main hope is that the story is a good one, and worth the hassle of tracking it down!

Once again, thanks! Very Happy
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being a little disappointed with Vision Quest - it would have worked well as a seperate Echo mini, but sat uneasily in the middle of Bendis & Maleev's run.

Having said that, I do like Mack's work a lot. It's probably worth a read for the artwork alone - although I wouldn't pay over the odds for it.
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be put off by any nay-saying! This is one of my favorite sections of the DD mythos. If you just read it without expecting something in particular, I bet you'll enjoy it. It's great. So great that I don't mind any of the beefs that others typically have about it.

You've read 'Wake Up' - right? I like it even more.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryhausen wrote:
Don't be put off by any nay-saying! This is one of my favorite sections of the DD mythos. If you just read it without expecting something in particular, I bet you'll enjoy it. It's great. So great that I don't mind any of the beefs that others typically have about it.

You've read 'Wake Up' - right? I like it even more.

But my point is that it isn't even a DD comic. Mack is a great artist and as far as I know Vision Quest could have been a really good story. Point is, however, that it clearly isn't a DD story. Therefore it's a bit odd that it was printed as a DD comic.

Why aren't you laughing?
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think it's cool that they slipped it to us in the guise of a DD comic - like when an established band makes a record with a bunch of idiosyncratic guests and it differs wildly from their canon, but is a marvelous anomaly.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryhausen wrote:
But I think it's cool that they slipped it to us in the guise of a DD comic - like when an established band makes a record with a bunch of idiosyncratic guests and it differs wildly from their canon, but is a marvelous anomaly.

Or like when an analogy goes way wrong and makes no sense but is different because analogies usually make sense?

Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry wrote:
But I think it's cool that they slipped it to us

Oh, they slipped it to us, alright. What an accurate way to put it harry.

This Vison Quest story was the darkest period in Daredevil history. For six long months there was NO Daredevil comic. Six friggin' months. You think they'd pull that in a Wolverine comic--in fact, Wolverine showed up in this arc!

Thanks alot, Editor in Chimp.

SKIP IT! Unless you like Taskmaster . . . uh, I mean "Echo."

rgj
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Point is, however, that it clearly isn't a DD story. Therefore it's a bit odd that it was printed as a DD comic.

You're right. Mack never held any illusions about this. The story was intended to be a Echo mini series....Marvel editorial made the decision to force this into the DD monthly. If fill in issues were necessary to give Bendis a break, I'd much rather look at Mack's pretty pictures than some crap that was cranked out at the last minute just to have DD in it.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
I'd much rather look at Mack's pretty pictures than some crap that was cranked out at the last minute just to have DD in it.

Eventhough it's Marvel, who says that the alternative DD story has to "crap." No, it's Marvel's responsibility, if a creative team needs a break, to then get a temp team to try to do something decent.

Mack's art is good, sure. But, his pretty pictures don't make up for no Daredevil comic. And, it's not as if the VQ script was all that great either. Serioulsy, Mack really beat you over the head, in just about every page, about Echo being deaf. Yeah, we get it.

rgj
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
james castle wrote:
Point is, however, that it clearly isn't a DD story. Therefore it's a bit odd that it was printed as a DD comic.

You're right. Mack never held any illusions about this. The story was intended to be a Echo mini series....Marvel editorial made the decision to force this into the DD monthly. If fill in issues were necessary to give Bendis a break, I'd much rather look at Mack's pretty pictures than some crap that was cranked out at the last minute just to have DD in it.

Yeah, I obviously blame editorial over Mack. Obviously it was their decision and thus their fault. It's also their scam. The thing that makes me mad about the whole thing is that Marvel got to make a bunch of money by mislabeling the story. I wonder if an Echo mini would have sold as well as it did while pretending to be issues of DD.

As for the "well, it's better than nothing" argument people keep throwing out: just because you like Mack's art doesn't justify replacing the DD monthly with an Echo mini for half a year. I really like the X-Men. If all the sudden the DD monthly was taken over by a six part X-Men story writen by someone I like I'd probably like it. But I wouldn't pretend it was anything short of ridiculous.

Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: