Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Murdock... Piano Man?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Murdock... Piano Man? Reply with quote

There's one thing about Murdock that has got me curious...

You see, in "Elektra Lives Again" we see him playing the piano at his apartment (Well, he just plays "chopsticks" there Laughing ). I know that ELA is not considered to be in regular continuity but, then, in Vol. 2 #9, we see him playing piano again.

I don't remember now any other story with Matt playing piano, but I think it is an interesting thing about him: being a blind person, music no doubt means a lot to him... which is his proficiency as a player? doesn't his fist-related "work" as daredevil damage his hands for playing? Does he play any other instrument?

Oh, well, just curious about the thing... And maybe I was just toying with the idea of seeing Matt and Foggy singing duets Laughing I'd particularly enjoy them giving a rendition of Lennon & McCartney's "Misery":
I'm the kind of guy
Who never used to cry
The world is treating me bad
Misery

... or "That's life", famously sang by Sinatra :
I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing:
Each time I find myself, flat on my face,
I pick myself up and get back in the race

Oh, and Echo plays piano, too

Authors: feel free to use the idea, I hereby relinquish any rights for proposing it Wink )

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! Smile I think Matt and Foggy duets are a great idea!

But no, I can't think of any other "piano issue" either, even though the Dark Secrets segment featured on the last pages of Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol 1 (#167) shows that Matt's house has a piano in it. However, I guess that, along with "the most extensive Braille library in the world," got squashed by the Kingpin in the first issue of Born Again.

It's interesting, though, that he feels that different notes have different colors. Sounds like a classic case of synesthesia, which can occasionally arise in people who have lost a sense (most people with synethesia have it all their lives though). I once saw a documentary on synethisia, and among the people featured was one guy who had been blind since late childhood, but felt very strongly that different numbers had different colors. Pretty wild... Then there was some other guy who would associate smell with different words, and some of the smells he was experiencing weren't very pleasant at all.

Anyhow, it's funny when you find out these little things about the characters. Like when Matt says that he never misses an episode of Law and Order (#360). He even tells the reader that it's on Wednesdays at 10. I wonder, were they reimbursed by NBC for that one? Laughing And, does he like all the shows of the franchise or just the original? I guess they all work pretty well as "audio only" with all the talking going on...
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:

Anyhow, it's funny when you find out these little things about the characters. Like when Matt says that he never misses an episode of Law and Order (#360). He even tells the reader that it's on Wednesdays at 10. I wonder, were they reimbursed by NBC for that one? Laughing And, does he like all the shows of the franchise or just the original? I guess they all work pretty well as "audio only" with all the talking going on...

The thought of a Lawyer watching Lawyer TV shows is funny. I recall an occasion when Foggy was trying to break the ice with Liz Osborn, and he asked her if she had seen a Law-related TV show.

Since Matt cannot see TV, I wonder how he watches/perceives TV series, I mean, without audio-comments! It is not, after all, a radio programme: I wonder how can he gather what's happenning when in a TV series there is a non-dialogue, strictly visual moment (unless he is lead to suspect what is going on thanks to the incidental music).

Your mention of synesthesia is very interesting. The whole issue of how Matt perceives the world is a vast field to explore... It's ironic how we perceive his adventures visually, and are so used to that. So I liked Brubaker's take on Matt's sense of smell in "The Devil Takes a Ride".

... This leads me to think: should be suppose that all of Matt's circle of close friends, and his lovers are perceived as "nice" by him? I mean, a man like him wouldn't like to spend too much time with people who doesn't have a nice voice or nice smell (or at least, bearable ones, LOL)

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:

Since Matt cannot see TV, I wonder how he watches/perceives TV series, I mean, without audio-comments! It is not, after all, a radio programme: I wonder how can he gather what's happenning when in a TV series there is a non-dialogue, strictly visual moment (unless he is lead to suspect what is going on thanks to the incidental music).

I think that would probably depend on the show. I'd imagine that Law and Order type shows (not to mention, say, CSI where all the characters are always commenting on what they're doing) would be fairly easy to follow by the dialogue alone, but that's certainly not true of everything. He'd probably not be interested in "watching" anything too visual.

Gloria wrote:
Your mention of synesthesia is very interesting. The whole issue of how Matt perceives the world is a vast field to explore... It's ironic how we perceive his adventures visually, and are so used to that. So I liked Brubaker's take on Matt's sense of smell in "The Devil Takes a Ride".

I totally agree. I think it's easy to be mislead into thinking of Matt's world as visual since comic books are such a visual medium. Until someone comes up with smell-o-vision, that's the interpretation we're stuck with, I guess. I know people tend to think of the sum of his experience as something close to actually seeing, but I think it would probably have to be quite different. I think he's even described his radar sense as a form of remote touching (for lack of a better term) rather than seeing, but I guess all writers interpret it a little differently.

Gloria wrote:
This leads me to think: should be suppose that all of Matt's circle of close friends, and his lovers are perceived as "nice" by him? I mean, a man like him wouldn't like to spend too much time with people who doesn't have a nice voice or nice smell (or at least, bearable ones, LOL)

Smile This reminds me of the sweat and alcohol soaked guy I sat across from on the commuter train yesterday. I mean, I could smell him twenty meters away, so I imagine that's not someone Matt would want to approach. But, yeah, I'd imagine that smell and sound of voice would be a huge part of his first impression of people. Oprah (of all people) once said: "If someone offers you gum, take it." I guess you could say that if Matt Murdock buys you an ultra-strength deodorant for Christmas, use it...
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
I think he's even described his radar sense as a form of remote touching (for lack of a better term) rather than seeing

I like that description. Makes matt's perception of the world sound quite unique... I wonder if his radar works underwater.

jumonji wrote:
Gloria wrote:
This leads me to think: should be suppose that all of Matt's circle of close friends, and his lovers are perceived as "nice" by him? I mean, a man like him wouldn't like to spend too much time with people who doesn't have a nice voice or nice smell (or at least, bearable ones, LOL)

Smile This reminds me of the sweat and alcohol soaked guy I sat across from on the commuter train yesterday. I mean, I could smell him twenty meters away, so I imagine that's not someone Matt would want to approach. But, yeah, I'd imagine that smell and sound of voice would be a huge part of his first impression of people. Oprah (of all people) once said: "If someone offers you gum, take it." I guess you could say that if Matt Murdock buys you an ultra-strength deodorant for Christmas, use it...

I am imagining a series of situations here... Wink

Foggy: Matt, my father will help me with money to start a lawyer's firm... will you be my partner?
Matt: UGH! Not until you change that after-shave of yours, Nelson!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Foggy: I hope you liked the girl I've hired as a secretary to work for us. She's very nice and a real cutie!
Matt: Yeah, yeah... but that girl, Karen Page, isn't a bit too fond of eating garlic? she will only work for us temporarily, will she?
Matt: So pleased to meet you... My! You smell like a thousand flowers! Could I ask you to... to have a cup of cofee with me? Again, what was your name? Lena? Oh, that's nice... Lena... Lena the Hyena (she sounds like a wonderful girl!)

Foggy: You're a lucky guy, Matt, ol' hound-dog! That Russian gal you just met... Natasha... Well, she's a real bombshell!
Matt: I don't know... she's got that raspy voice... It must be all that vodka she drinks: her breath smells like a cossack's wild party!

Last edited by Gloria on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious stuff Gloria! I'll have to think of a few myself. Hmmm, I'll get back to you on that one...

About the radar underwater, I've gotten the impression that it doesn't work as well as above ground, but I can't remember where I read it. Besides, his other senses get dampened by water, so I'd imagine that he'd want to stay above ground as much as possible.

/Christine
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a musician myself, I've often wondered about Matt and music. I'm still looking for a good example of him weighing in on music (other than that silly aside Bendis put in his mouth about Matt hating Bruce Springsteen, which seems unlikely to me . . .).

Interestingly, the composer Scriabin was supposed to have been a synesthete.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have ready access to my back issues, but i believe that Matt plays the piano brifely in "Parts of a Whole".
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some similar elements between Elektra Lives Again and Parts of a Hole... namely the piano playing, and also the "sounds" that the chain on a punching bag makes... Mack was probably very influenced by ELA.

Mack, if you're out there, let us know. Smile
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About the radar underwater, I've gotten the impression that it doesn't work as well as above ground, but I can't remember where I read it. Besides, his other senses get dampened by water, so I'd imagine that he'd want to stay above ground as much as possible.

During Lee's initial run, when DD took on Namor, DD fell into the water. DD said his radar (which was acting like sonar in this case) worked perfectly well under the water.

DD's "radar" has also been show to pass though walls, again, sonar like (ie. Matt spying on the captive Elektra and her father during the ELEKTRA SAGA). Some have claimed that this depiction is Matt "getting an idea" of what's going on inside a room, but it's curious that once Matt entered the room, he instantaneously knew where to throw his club and fight the bad guys (not to mention Elektra's position). I believe Matt's "radar" can pass though solid objects like walls. It would make sense, since it does work underwater.

His other senses being dampened has nothing to do with his radar ability. The radar doesn't rely on his other senses.

rgj
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Quote:

During Lee's initial run, when DD took on Namor, DD fell into the water. DD said his radar (which was acting like sonar in this case) worked perfectly well under the water.

DD's "radar" has also been show to pass though walls, again, sonar like (ie. Matt spying on the captive Elektra and her father during the ELEKTRA SAGA). Some have claimed that this depiction is Matt "getting an idea" of what's going on inside a room, but it's curious that once Matt entered the room, he instantaneously knew where to throw his club and fight the bad guys (not to mention Elektra's position). I believe Matt's "radar" can pass though solid objects like walls. It would make sense, since it does work underwater.

His other senses being dampened has nothing to do with his radar ability. The radar doesn't rely on his other senses.

rgj

Yes, I'm familiar with the issue you mentioned (and I think that sonar remark is pretty funny), and I know that his other senses don't factor into the radar, hence the "Besides..." remark. I do still have this distinct memory of some writer mentioning that the radar didn't work as well under water, though. I'll have to get back to you on that one... On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time writers contradicted each other.Smile

I think the whole radar penetrating solid objects idea is iffy (for a number of reasons), but it's been written that way since the very beginning, so I've learned to live with it!

UPDATE: Hmm, I think you may be right. The issue I was thinking of was the introduction of the Black Widow (#81) when she saves DD at the bottom of the ocean. There is no reference to the radar in those panels, so it's probably a case of false memory on my part (possibly planted by a supervillian of some sort).
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
... This leads me to think: should be suppose that all of Matt's circle of close friends, and his lovers are perceived as "nice" by him? I mean, a man like him wouldn't like to spend too much time with people who doesn't have a nice voice or nice smell (or at least, bearable ones, LOL)

Hey, Gloria, I told you I'd get back to you regarding those funny smell/voice exchanges you posted above, and it actually turned into a fanfic I just sent to Kuljit. We'll see when he posts it on the site. Anyway, it's called Revenge by Deodorant and most of it takes place in a drugstore. Despite what one might think, I wasn't high when I wrote it (I've never even smoked regular tobacco). Let me know what you think! Smile
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
it's called Revenge by Deodorant

"Revenge by Deodorant"... the title sounds very promising! I'll wait for it to appear here.

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till you see its sequel: "Revenge by ingestion of bean soup"
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Wait till you see its sequel: "Revenge by ingestion of bean soup"

If you're writing it, I'm reading it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: