Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil 504 Preview & Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Daredevil 504 Preview & Discussion *SPOILERS* Reply with quote

The Daredevil 504 preview is now up! This thread will be used for discussion when the issue comes out next week!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-504
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review so far:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Best-Shots-Advance-Reviews-100126.html

http://www.popcultureshock.com/marvel-advance-reviews-ultimate-enemy-1-kickass-8-fantastic-575/54544/

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/126453778196304.htm
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did everyone think? At least we have some idea of what Shadowland is all about... now hopefully we can get some info on when this project will come out.

It's certainly a change from when DD was in his own little world in the Marvel Universe.

I've added the summary: http://www.manwithoutfear.com/issuesIIinfo.cgi?issue=504
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the review, whilst I liked the first couple of issues of this story, I'm not particularly enjoying the lack of Matt Murdock, or the "Dark Reign" crossover elements.

It's certainly a big departure from the relatively self-contained nature of the book over the last few years, and I'm not convinced that it's a good move to involve DD in shared-universe stories to this extent.

I wonder if this new editorial direction was one of the reasons that Brubaker chose to end his run earlier than expected?
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed the Diggle/De La Torre run thus far. But I must admit that I am also a little leery of what's to come. Part of me is excited that it appears that the previously mentioned (in interviews) 'Shadowland' will be centered around DD and the Hand's clash with Osborn/HAMMER (as opposed to DD getting sucked into a major storyline put playing only a small supporting role). The only problem with this is that even if it is DD-centric, it does branch out into the rest of the Marvel U and that has not been familiar DD territory in quite some time.

My hope right now is that the DD corner of the Marvel U expands long enough for Diggle's Shadowland story then shrinks back to something fairly self contained as it has pretty much since the beginning of Vol. 2.

Maybe this is just me being afraid of change. I'm not so worried about this story arc as I am about the can of worms it can open up down the road. Once DD is running around outside of Hell's Kitchen, what's to stop him from being pulled into every Marvel event? I know I'm not trying to buy a dozen books a month to try and keep up.

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long while since any of the crossover events included DD as any more than a passing nod, so I'm not terribly worried about this one coming into the book. It makes much more sense for DD to be involved with this because Osborne taking over the government of NYC would surely affect what happens in Hell's Kitchen.

I can certainly relate to this more than I could with some of the earlier crossovers. The story can be read without having to know the extensive history of the entire Marvel Universe.

There were some things this issue that amused me among all the darkness of the story. I found it funny that the architect/urban planner/whatever brought in the blueprints and showed them to DD. I guess not all the flunkies got the memo that Lord Daredevil is visually impaired.
Razz Or the guy was just so intimidated to be in His Lordship's presence that he didn't realise the futility of his actions? Pretty funny, at any rate, whether it was meant to be or not.

I also laughed at the preposterous number of candles in the underground sanctum. Are they scented to overpower the sewer stench? Have to admit, they looked good in the art.

The prospect of what Shadowland will be is sort of eerie. Will it be the Hand's answer to the Baxter Building, only with a subterrainien prison facility? Will it be a complex that replaces the lost housing destroyed in the earlier debacle? Goodness knows, the Kitchen needs some good low-cost rent property. Is Matt tired of paying rent on his brownstone?

Guess we'll have to stay tuned for that part.

It's hard to know what's going on inside that red head these days, since the internal monologue has been missing. It makes the mystery a little deeper though, as we must figure out from a different viewpoint what Matt's reasons for action are right now. I like it when the story isn't telegraphed to me. Wait...what would that phrase be now? "Twittered" to me? Yeah, that's it. Don't tell me way in advance.

Laughing

I'm on board with the story. Way better than trekking off to Upstate with Number Nine for a plot.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the points brought up here... or at the very least, can empathize with the views.

I'd have to say that this issue was the most cohesive of all the issues since Diggle and De La Torre took over. That being a solid execution of the storytelling complimented by fantastic artwork (and there isn't enough adjectives to describe the fantastic colors that Matt Hollingsworth, month in and month out, truly brings to the artwork, no matter who is behind the pen / pencil).

There was grumblings of the issue feeling cheated by the lack of physical conflict as the confrontation was (finally) getting ramped up. Again, I can empathize with this... but I do not feel the same. This execution of the story, in my mind, makes the developments all the more intriguing (this is one of the situations, I believe, where less is more). Besides if we had five pages of fighting we would've ran the risk of losing the "dynamic duo" of Foggy and Dakota (there's just so many pages to fill, after all). The ambiguity of the Shadowland holds great promise... and this was a decent introduction to that facility / philosophy. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Then, there's the whole question: does it feel like it being dark for dark's sake? Yeah, frustratingly, it does.

Still, that said, the character development of the supporting characters was solid (it was actually good to no longer see Lady Bullseye sitting behind Wilson Fisk like his personal sometimes slackjawed, somtimes scowling puppy dog and actually DO something this issue). However, I would agree (and I pointed this out last month, here) that the lack of Matt's internal dialogue certainly weakens the story. It would've been a richer story, I feel (as a reader and an aspiring writer), to delve into Matt's thoughts as he sat sulking (again and again) on his throne in the sewers.

All in all, this arc was a good starting point for the new creative team to work and build off of (and in some ways, improve upon).
johnnym
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been enjoying the Diggle stuff so far. I don't mind the Dark Reign elements showing their face, because it is huge in the scope of the Marvel U and it's not really derailing the story. I thought the use of the dirty cops and judges showed us the effect of Norman's reign, but still fit in the DD story without seeming forced.

Totally agree that the art and coloring has been exceptional.

www.legionofdudes.com
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord the last page of this issue was Amazing! It almost made up for the gravely disappointing curtailed action scene that, under de le Tore's peciles, would have been an artistic showcase withot peer. The wake of the teh fight was still effective, but I can;t get over now incredible it would have been to actuallysee what that lone HAMMER agents described to Foggy and Dakoto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: