Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

UPDATED: Shadowland, a Daredevil mini from Marvel *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole villain thing got me thinking. If Marvel was going to switch writers, this would be the perfect opportunity. Think about it: Bendis put him in jail, Bru made him leader of the Hand, Diggle makes him a villain. Obviously Matt would never be a true villain, but someone like Garth Ennis or Jason Aaron could work with that.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Even if DD killed Bullseye, it wouldn't be that big a deal, in my opinion. DD has often killed those who put innocents in danger, and what's actually surprising is how he's kept himself from NOT killing Bullseye until now.

I find it sad that a Daredevil fan can view Matt as someone who would allow himself the option to kill. Historically, that's a territory he would never allow himself to enter.

Yes, in #181 he dropped Bullseye from the guywire. But his first instinct was to save him, and Bullseye was not going to have that, and attempted to kill Daredevil, who then let go of him. I don't think Bullseye was giving him much of a choice.

Yes, in born again, he blew up a helicopter with the pilot inside. But the pilot was killing civilians, and Daredevil had got his hands on Nuke's weapon. He couldn't allow more civilians to die. He fired and immediately asked for forgiveness.

Those are the two instances I can think of from Volume 1. In Volume 2 before Diggle, I can't think of Daredevil killing anybody (although I did skip the second half of Bendis' run). With Diggle, Daredevil has led the slaughter / torture of H.A.M.M.E.R. agents. I now believe that his behaviour can be explained because he is under the control of the Hand.

But my point is that I have always looked at Daredevil as a hero with a very strong moral centre who doesn't allow himself to waver. Read "The Death of Jean De Wolfe." Read David Lapham's "Daredevil vs. Punisher." To that end, read any encounter between Daredevil and Punisher in Volume 1. He was the noblest of characters. I'm hoping one day he can get back to that.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever The Hand has resuscitated a Marvel character (the attempted resurrection of Elektra, the resurrection of Doctor Octopus, etc.) the aim has always been to control the character. It is indeed likely that since Matt's revival by The Hand in DD Volume #2 #80, he has slowly come under The Hand's influence. Matt has undoubtedly put up a valiant struggle psychologically and emotionally - but he is now succumbing.

I cannot recall the last time Matt had a so-called "thought balloon." Perhaps there is a reason for this. It is entrirely possible that Marvel does not want the readers to fully understand the inner conflict that has been brewing within the protagonist.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, in born again, he blew up a helicopter with the pilot inside. But the pilot was killing civilians, and Daredevil had got his hands on Nuke's weapon. He couldn't allow more civilians to die.

And how is that different from what I said? I think it's pretty simple: you put civilian lives at risk while DD is around? Well, watch out, because it's highly likely that DD will kill you for that.
This is what is historically proven, more than "he would never allow himself to enter that territory".
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of bummed to see that all the tie-in books will carry the $4 price tag. I was hoping they would be $3.
Marvel Knight
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
I cannot recall the last time Matt had a so-called "thought balloon." Perhaps there is a reason for this. It is entrirely possible that Marvel does not want the readers to fully understand the inner conflict that has been brewing within the protagonist.

I'm fairly certain that's true given what Andy and Antony have said in recent interviews.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy's Pal wrote:
This whole villain thing got me thinking. If Marvel was going to switch writers, this would be the perfect opportunity. Think about it: Bendis put him in jail, Bru made him leader of the Hand, Diggle makes him a villain. Obviously Matt would never be a true villain, but someone like Garth Ennis or Jason Aaron could work with that.
Since Diggle only started his run but a year ago, it's highly unlikely he'd be leaving already, but your surmization there is just as interesting if not more so than the aformentioned unlikelihood. Turning DD into villian would put Matt into a morally compromsing position and leave way for the following creator like Aaron or anothercreator adept in crime stories with wealth of story possiblities to mine from. Jason Aaron as invariably come to mind when I'd think of who could succeed Diggle should he choose to leave the title early or when he does eventually. All in all, you may have something here, and it's something I wouldn't mind seeing happen.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:
Yes, in born again, he blew up a helicopter with the pilot inside. But the pilot was killing civilians, and Daredevil had got his hands on Nuke's weapon. He couldn't allow more civilians to die.

And how is that different from what I said? I think it's pretty simple: you put civilian lives at risk while DD is around? Well, watch out, because it's highly likely that DD will kill you for that.
This is what is historically proven, more than "he would never allow himself to enter that territory".

I don't think this instance indicates a pattern. In fact, his prayer while doing it proves his reluctance. I think that historically, what has been proven that he will protect the innocent while doing everything in his power to make sure that no one dies. He's never been about vengeance or cleansing. He's always been about justice.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'm not saying DD kills for vengeance or cleansing. He kills whenever innocent lives are seriously threatened.
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
Foggy's Pal wrote:
Since Diggle only started his run but a year ago, it's highly unlikely he'd be leaving already, but your surmization there is just as interesting if not more so than the aformentioned unlikelihood. Turning DD into villian would put Matt into a morally compromsing position and leave way for the following creator like Aaron or anothercreator adept in crime stories with wealth of story possiblities to mine from. Jason Aaron as invariably come to mind when I'd think of who could succeed Diggle should he choose to leave the title early or when he does eventually. All in all, you may have something here, and it's something I wouldn't mind seeing happen.

I think Rucka would be a great choice as well. His crime/noir sensibilities would make him a perfect choice. I would also like to see Marcos Martin on art.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Rucka wouldn't be a bad choice. His co-scribe stint with Bru during the latters run is undoubtably one of my favorite arcs. However, I must say his recent run on Detective Comics left me with a poor impression of his creative abilities. If he was to be chosen, I'd at least like to know every other possibility was combed through throroughly for an offer. There are much worste choices than Rucka, but, as I said, thanks his recent run om Detective Comics, he wouldn't really be my first.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say I've added all the covers and solicits now to the SHADOWLAND hub on the site and will continue to update it as more info comes out. The checklist has also been updated, as Marvel switched the Ghost Rider issue to September.

There will be a checklist postcard and mini-poster coming to your comic shop soon!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/shadowland
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help people out on the SHADOWLAND page, I've added the summaries of DD501-507 and the history of the <SPOILER> from issue 507.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/shadowland
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2' x 3' promo poster shipped this week which is double-sided and has the Spidey/Punisher teaser image and the Wolverine with Bullseye mask teaser image on the other side. Ask your local comic shop if they got one. It is free!
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyway to know when the comic gets to comic stores?
Amazon says it available on july 7th
is that when it gets to stores too or would I have to check individual stores?
maybe i should just buy it on amazon but does amazon get the release dates right usually?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: