Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

November Solicitaions *SPOILERS*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisjw1975
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: November Solicitaions *SPOILERS* Reply with quote

So does the "FINAL ISSUE" mean the final issue of this volume of daredevil or the final issue of Shadowland tie ins? i am assuming the former with that Daredevil: The End teaser poster
zabrmc
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/daredevil-ongoing-series-to-end-in-november-109501

Unbelievable.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zabrmc wrote:
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/daredevil-ongoing-series-to-end-in-november-109501

Unbelievable.

I dunno. I think given the current "SHOCK! SHOCK! SHOCK!" mentality of Marvel, I think it's the height of believable.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
zabrmc wrote:

Unbelievable.

I dunno. I think given the current "SHOCK! SHOCK! SHOCK!" mentality of Marvel, I think it's the height of believable.

Sadly, I agree. Believable. But I also must add -- stupid. One of the stupidest moves Quesada has made so far in his interminably long run as Editor-in-Chief, especially since Daredevil is one of the reasons he has that job in the first place.

Now how could Shadowland suck more?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil ending and being canceled? What a bunch of disappointing crap.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post usually. I don't think the title will be "cancelled" in the "literal" sense. We will definitively get a relaunch in some form soon. But it's also the proof to me that, for sure, we probably won't see Matt as daredevil for one of two years Sad

We may not know, but if it's the case, I will drop a book I have enjoyed and bought eagerly since its relaunch. I have never complained of the artists changing, but I have just no interest in seeing a gimmick.

That being said, I knew that DD secret identity crisis will become a problem at some point. On the short term, it gave us some great stories. But it could only send us to darker stories with a darker Matt, bringing him to self destruction. It was also clear that Bendis didn't knew how to get out of this.

When Andy Diggle took the book, I've had a bad feeling. The quick and unexpected departure of Brubaker after the 500's issue left me with a strange sensation. I felt something happened, that Brubaker had more stories to tell but that there were some editorial disagreement about it, that maybe Brubaker's idea of Matt being in charge of the Hand had given some bad ideas to Quesada (and maybe Bendis)

With time, I forgot it. But, sadly, I may be right. I still hope Matt will stay has Daredevil. You can clearly see the Daredevil two "D" in the missing part of the combined "new Man without Fear" poster. That being said, I fear the worst.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to back up what others are saying...

stupid..stupid..stupid.

I've been reading DD since 69...when I was 6yrs old...quit comics in the early mid 90's..stayed gone till last year and it was DD that brought me back..I have since collected all issues of the new run and found most to be great.....now this.

It is a slap in the face to DD fans everywhere....and worse of all it feels like a stunt..nothing else...

and gael..great username..my family name is old Gaelic...
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF????? What are they thinking (if they're thinking at all)?? I'm very disapointed....
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Shocked
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess this is a stunt, probably due to low sales. IIRC, until Shadowland, it was doing about 10,000 fewer per month once Brubaker left. It's lingering in the mid 30s now. Hopefully we will get a relaunch with a great team.....Rucka maybe.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a stunt too, but for how long?? One,two months?? More?? A year?? I don't want to think about it!!!!
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Smith will come back to relaunch it again!!! I wonder which character he'll needlessly kill off this time!

Overall, it's disappointing but surely long time DD fans should be used to this by now. DD has a long tradition or having dry spells where the comics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. In my view, that's all that's happening right now (I just picked up The Devil's Hand and I can't tell you how shocked I am at just how badly they dropped the ball on Matt running the Hand. it could have been so cool. as it is it's just predictable, boring and confusing). We're in the middle of a slump. Let's all just sit tight and wait for some relatively unknown writer to come along and start writing good DD stories (I'm predicting somewhere around 2012).

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted on another thread that I have no problem with gimmicks at all. But this one is just utterly stupid on every level. I mean, granted DD has not been doing well. But thanks to Shadowland we have returnees and new readers as well. I assume that is the case with all the sold-out issues of Shadowland. So why end a book that just spiked its sales. I just don't get Marvel.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I hate to see Daredevil canceled, I think it would be worse if it kept going as it was with sub-par writing. We got almost 100 issues straight of the best DD ever, then Diggle comes and writes one of the worst books he's done. If they do relaunch, they need someone who will do a phenomenal job.

And Brubaker definitely should've stayed on. He had just introduced Master Izo and Lady Bullseye, and then quick as that he gives up the book. Now Lady Bullseye is hardly used at all. And didn't Brubaker say he wanted to stay on the book longer than Bendis? He was twenty issues short. Just think of how different life would be if Brubaker was still on the book. If Shadowland and the Hand DD were written by Brubaker, it'd be sick.

I was mad initially, but I'm over it. I just hope all of this doesn't affect End of Days.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baker wrote:
And Brubaker definitely should've stayed on. He had just introduced Master Izo and Lady Bullseye, and then quick as that he gives up the book. Now Lady Bullseye is hardly used at all. And didn't Brubaker say he wanted to stay on the book longer than Bendis? He was twenty issues short. Just think of how different life would be if Brubaker was still on the book. If Shadowland and the Hand DD were written by Brubaker, it'd be sick.

I'm pretty sure Brubaker hates "events." He quit Catwoman immediately after "War Games", and it felt very sudden. That was probably his first encounter with an "event." During Civil War, that event only touched his Captain America series in a minimal way. (I have never followed X-Men, so I can't comment on Brubaker's work there). I'm willing to bet that he was told what Marvel wanted to do with Shadowland, and that's why he announced he was handing it off.

I would have dropped the book if someone other than Matt Murdock became Daredevil, but I really can't understand ending the series, especially since they just resorted to the original numbering last year. As for Tom Brevoort's comments, the Captain America series continued once Steve Rogers was shot. The Amazing Spider-Man continued with Ben Reilly. Hercules took over the Incredible Hulk after World War Hulk. The last two are very bad examples I realize, but look at what we're talking about here. I'm not dispensing advice on how to do an amazing thing. But Brevoort has no reason to be stunned by how surprised everyone is, especially since Joe Quesada wouldn't be Editor-In-Chief if it wasn't for this character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: