Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Next DD Creative Team Speculation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Next DD Creative Team Speculation Reply with quote

I think I read it on Twitter; Daredevil Reborn will be Andy Diggle's last work on Daredevil. (I read so much information that I can no longer reference where I get it from, but that's another discussion for another day...)

So, isn't about time we speculate on who will be taking over the relaunched Daredevil around April/May of 2011?

Dream teams? Half-assed detective work? Guesses? Nostalgic desires? Isn't that what comic book forums are all about?

Let the rampant speculation begin...

--Tom
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be filed unashamedly under Nostalgic Desire - I would love to see Ann Nocenti work on a regular basis on this title again. The odds are against it, but her comic book work has increased of late and she did do the thing for DD Black & White not so long ago.

I've no desire to see Miller work on the title again as the last decent thing he did in the world of comic books was probably about 18 years ago.

Whoever it is it seems they'll have some kind of clean slate, and it will be so much better than Diggle. I hope what you think you saw on Twitter has some truth to it.
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marvel has a number of writers who would do a good job with Daredevil right now.

I don't think Bendis or Brubaker are coming back to the book. They were both excellent, but I don't see them as the kind of people to revisit their past too much.

Matt Fraction doesn't seem the type to write Daredevil. He's a great writer, don't get me wrong. I think that Thor and Iron Man plays more to his strength. Plus, he seems to have a full slate of work at Marvel right now...

Rick Remender is a possibility. He writes a fairly gritty comic book. I read some of his Punisher. It was decent. I have read his first two issues of Uncanny X-Force and think it's great.

Jason Aaron is a possibility. He's written some things that I have liked -- Astonishing Spider-Man /Wolverine for example. Some things that I am lukewarm about, his Wolverine stuff. Plus, he's one of Marvel's "architects".

Jonathan Hickman is also on Marvels's list of "architects". He's working on three books right now -- Secret Warriors (which is so-so, in my opinion), Fantastic Four (which is getting better and better) and S.H.I.E.L.D. (which is really good, insofar as it's really offbeat and full of good ideas). He might be in Daredevil's future.

Dan Slott's plate is full. He's said in the past he can do 2 or 2 1/2 books a month and he's got that with Amazing Spider-Man. I think he could do a good DD book, but he's off the table for now, as I see it.

Duane Swierczynski would be a logical choice -- he did a very good job on Iron Fist, and a decent job on Cable given the fact that he had to keep Cable in the future for two years worth of comic books. I don't think he's enough of a marquee name to get DD's sales higher, which is always a concern.

Mark Millar writes an exciting book. Sometimes his writing doesn't match the character's voice. Sometimes his writing goes so far over the top that it just seems ridiculous. But if Marvel's ultimate goal is to get Daredevil in the spotlight and increase sales, Millar would be able to do that.

Jeph Loeb seems to be very busy, and that's OK with me.

And the chances are extremely small, but if Frank Miller were to ask for Daredevil -- I am sure Marvel would let him back on the book. But realistically, this isn't going to happen.

DNA (Abnett & Lanning) already are writing Heroes for Hire, which is a street-level book. While they are a great team, they don't seem to sell a lot of books just with their names. They don't seem like a decent possibility.

Fred Van Lente gets better and better all the time. He made Chameleon awesome in ASM. His Taskmaster was an awesome mini-series. His Comic Book Comics shows his deep love and respect for the history of comics. The only way he would get DD would be if he were paired with a "superstar" artist.

Peter David and Mike Carey seem to be working on one (616) book each and doing other stuff. Good writers, but doubtful they will be on DD.

Am I leaving anybody out?

Anyway, my predictions are either Hickman or Aaron.

--Tom
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Whoever it is it seems they'll have some kind of clean slate, and it will be so much better than Diggle. I hope what you think you saw on Twitter has some truth to it.

Give Diggle credit for that.

It definitely seems as if Diggle is about to wipe the slate clean for the next writer.

But what happened to the tradition of leaving the next writer in an impossible situation with Daredevil?

I guess if you want to be snarky, the impossible situation would be to get Daredevil back into the top ten in sales each month.

But I digress,
Tom

Last edited by tmckenna on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DD: REBORN is Andy Diggle's last work on Daredevil. He had mentioned this on his formspring a few weeks ago and he also confirmed it again today on Twitter ("Starting work on my final DAREDEVIL issue today. *sniff*")

I wouldn't mind Jason Aaron taking over. I think his SCALPED work is some of the best writing out there.
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, Rucka had a not so great parting with DC, and has openly criticized them lately. I could see him taking a shot at this, and he would be perfect. Plus, he got his feet wet on an arc with Brubaker.

If they go with a lesser known/up and comer, I wouldn't mind them giving Jason Henderson a shot. His "Daughters of the Shadow" mini was very good.
I also like what Kieron Gillen has been doing. He seem to be able to write anything.
Joe Kelly has written DD before and seems to be getting better. I wouldn't mind seeing hime writing and Chris Bachalo on art- that would be a unique book.

I would love to see Matt Wagner take a shot, but it's not going to happen.
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy's Pal wrote:
Don't forget, Rucka had a not so great parting with DC, and has openly criticized them lately. I could see him taking a shot at this, and he would be perfect. Plus, he got his feet wet on an arc with Brubaker.

If they go with a lesser known/up and comer, I wouldn't mind them giving Jason Henderson a shot. His "Daughters of the Shadow" mini was very good.
I also like what Kieron Gillen has been doing. He seem to be able to write anything.
Joe Kelly has written DD before and seems to be getting better. I wouldn't mind seeing hime writing and Chris Bachalo on art- that would be a unique book.

I would love to see Matt Wagner take a shot, but it's not going to happen.

All of your ideas, especially Rucka, are fine by me. (Well I haven't read anything by Jason Henderson, but the rest of them...)

I think Kieron Gillen is being groomed to take over Uncanny X-Men. He's got a mini coming up, I believe. He's a possibility.

I forgot a few other writers that Marvel has around, too.

Greg Pak -- No feelings one way or the other...
Daniel Way -- No way. (Pardon the pun.)
Victor Gishler -- Not my cup of tea.
Jeff Parker -- Like Gillen, I think he could write anything.

--Tom
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about Parker. He would be a great choice as well.
Minion
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would love Abnett and Lanning. I love their work, and having a book with a built in fanbase rather than starting from the ground up like they had to do in the cosmic marvel universe will bump their sales and let people see how awesome they really are.
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minion wrote:
Personally I would love Abnett and Lanning. I love their work, and having a book with a built in fanbase rather than starting from the ground up like they had to do in the cosmic marvel universe will bump their sales and let people see how awesome they really are.

I would be all for that if they could handle three books at the same time. Heroes, another cosmic book, and this one.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope it's a writer who REALLY wants the job. I think Greg Rucka and Jason Aaron would be my top two choices.

For art, delays aside, Lee Bermejo.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only name I read in this entire thread that I thought was appropriate was Greg Rucka.

I also enjoyed Daredevil: Noir, up until the sudden ending, so I would consider writer Alexander Irvine and especially artist Tom Coker.

Last edited by Dimetre on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to read Rucka's take on DD.

If the slate is indeed wiped clean (and maybe some of the now-required tragedy with it) then I think Peter David would be an excellent choice for this. His characterization is always top-notch.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Aaron would be ideal.

As of right now, he's actually utilizing two Daredevil villains, Kingpin and Bullseye, brilliantly in his PunisherMax series. Very jealous that he's not writing that story for Daredevil.

Once he finishes his run on PunisherMax this summer, hopefully he'll take on our beloved DD in the fall.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add that my "pipe dream" writer for DD would be Grant Morrison. I love that man and would have his children. I LOVE his run on Batman and even as it's winding down, the stuff he's currently doing with Batman, Inc is exactly what Diggle should've done with DD leading the Hand.

Oh well. Realistic choice is Aaron. Wouldn't mind Rucka either, although I'm not sure I want to read a crime DD book. I want to keep his superheroism at the forefront as much as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: