Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Fox's Reboot Of DAREDEVIL Looking For A New Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Fox's Reboot Of DAREDEVIL Looking For A New Writer Reply with quote

Word has it that the script for the planned reboot of Daredevil is such a mess, the studio are now on the hunt for a new writer! Hit the jump for a few more details on The Man Without Fear's troubled journey back to the big screen.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58646

Last edited by Guardian-Devil on Wed May 16, 2012 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wonder if this is true? Im 50/50 on this one because the source is just one guy.

However, it would explain why the film is taking so long to develop. If Kane's script is that terrible, they should hire someone like Hossein Amini (Drive, 47 Ronin).
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this is true cause we have a new guy writing the script, David James Kelly. Does anybody knows who he is?? I googled him but nothin...
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did not see this coming at all. I have no idea who this guy is, the only thing I can find is that he revised the Akira movie Hollywood was doing.

This is a good thing I suppose though. Hopefully things will start moving now. I wonder what Kane did so bad? I do recall Slade tweeting that he did a really good job with the script, but I guess it was just something to keep us happy.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe at the time he was doing a good job with the script but in the end it was not as good as they wanted... We'll see!!! *fingerscrossed*
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's being re-written and the director liked it then that means Fox execs disliked it or possibly even hated it to warrant a rewrite. Now Fox doesn't have the greatest track record for CBM decisions (that being said First Class and X2 is still gold by them) but i think a rewrite is in our best interest if only to sharpen this movie. Maybe it's because Born again style of a script is shallow if you have no emotional attachment to the protagonist and would be a wasted opportunity. we all agree it's better sequel material and hopefully (in my opinion) we get a proper origin movie that doesn't skip the best parts of the origin (anything by Frank in short). let's look at it from a tragedy writing point of view: you need to have a protagonist rise before you can have the protagonist fall so why would they use movie one to rush to the best run of the characters madness? (well Bendis was my favorite point of his madness but that's the not the point). Point being is we've waited nearly 10 years for a new movie so i'm sure we can wait alittle longer for a decent rewrite.
dsugar
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many great Daredevil stories but I wouldn't go with another Miller/Kingpin movie. I think the V2 Mysterio story, Shadowland (seeing a good guy turn evil on screen, The Hand) or origin story yellow transitioning to red. Unfortunately I don't have any faith in Fox.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsugar wrote:
There are so many great Daredevil stories but I wouldn't go with another Miller/Kingpin movie. I think the V2 Mysterio story, Shadowland (seeing a good guy turn evil on screen, The Hand) or origin story yellow transitioning to red. Unfortunately I don't have any faith in Fox.

I agree that it would be a mistake doing another Kingpin movie. I think a Guardian Devil movie isn't the best idea, since even the comic has plot holes, and Mysterio really isn't a big Daredevil villain. I would like to spend the rest of my life pretending that Shadowland never happened, and I think we should move on from the origin.

Since the Mark Steven Johnson movie did a sub-standard job with Daredevil's most iconic comic story (Miller's initial run with Elektra, Bullseye and Kingpin), I think it it would be a good idea to do a proper Typhoid Mary movie, and pretend that the Elektra movie never happened. She's a fascinating psychological study. But on the other hand, since she forces Matt to act out of character, it might be best to save her for a sequel so you can spend the first movie establishing his character.

So maybe someone like Gladiator would be better for the first movie, since he's also a good psychological study, and he also allows for some heroism on Matt's part while out of costume as well.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're going to steer clear of a Kingpin/Bullseye reboot, which I think they should, ( as the Directors Cut of the 2003 film was fine) then I can only think of one DD villan who it could be. The whole thing about 'The Man Without Fear' vs Fear itself has yet to reach its full potential in the book, but could work well on screen.

So, although there are possible similarities to the Scarecrow character in the Batman Begins movie, I'd go for Mr Fear
dsugar
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
dsugar wrote:

I agree that it would be a mistake doing another Kingpin movie. I think a Guardian Devil movie isn't the best idea, since even the comic has plot holes, and Mysterio really isn't a big Daredevil villain. I would like to spend the rest of my life pretending that Shadowland never happened, and I think we should move on from the origin.

Since the Mark Steven Johnson movie did a sub-standard job with Daredevil's most iconic comic story (Miller's initial run with Elektra, Bullseye and Kingpin), I think it it would be a good idea to do a proper Typhoid Mary movie, and pretend that the Elektra movie never happened. She's a fascinating psychological study. But on the other hand, since she forces Matt to act out of character, it might be best to save her for a sequel so you can spend the first movie establishing his character.

So maybe someone like Gladiator would be better for the first movie, since he's also a good psychological study, and he also allows for some heroism on Matt's part while out of costume as well.

I agree a Typhoid Mary movie would be great (Romita Jr had a great run). OMG did they actually call it (Elektra) a movie lol.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
If they're going to steer clear of a Kingpin/Bullseye reboot, which I think they should, ( as the Directors Cut of the 2003 film was fine) then I can only think of one DD villan who it could be. The whole thing about 'The Man Without Fear' vs Fear itself has yet to reach its full potential in the book, but could work well on screen.

So, although there are possible similarities to the Scarecrow character in the Batman Begins movie, I'd go for Mr Fear

I think if they use Mr. fear the movie will seem too similar to Batman Begins for the general audience to be impressed by it. These themes were already used in Batman Begins.

I don't see a problem with Kingpin appearing as a presence in more then one film. Magneto is in 4 of the 5 X-Men films, but he is only the main villain in two of them. You can do more then one story with him, a gang war between Owl and Kingpin can be a movie, Born Again can be another movie.

Typhoid Mary is normally paired up with Kingpin in the comics. I like Purple Man, but I'm not sure he can carry a movie on his own. Also Sony owns Mysterio, so he can't appear in a DD movie. DD doesn't have the best rogues gallery around, so its kinda slim pickings in terms of villains who can carry a whole movie.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Mr Fear is way to similar to Scarecrow for the masses to enjoy. Same with Gladiator, all viewers will see is muscles and a bald head - Bane.

Purple Man would be great, only dont refer to him as Purple Man in the actual film. I think Kingpin/the criminal underworld is the way to go. This way, the storyline will be very mature and grittier than any other comic movie out there.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all about escalation within a certain amount of time: are we getting a trilogy or is there a market to warrant a 6 picture saga?

major tragedy arc themes the movies could cover

starting up/ origin

nelson murdock fallout

relocation to east coast

losing liscense/ homeless and hunted by fisk

fake death= jack battlin'

outted

kingpin of hells kitchen

prison

a europe hunt

a japan travel

owning the hand

losing the hand

final battle in the streets against fisks hand for hells kitchen

death

you see it's all about escalation and going bigger with each movie. The villains have little to do with it as it's more about the circumstances of Matts life. Even though it resets the status quo from time to time to give him back his life it still gets worse and worse and i want to see this translated on film. if you do an entire graphic novel for one film you WILL NEVER tell the whole life story.

a trilogy means you have to compact ideas and rush the best moments but is more likely to happen and can still do well if the ideas are connected. Drop certain character and replace them. Think outside the box and incorporate something that maybe works well with an idea.

My original thoughts back in 2010 were:

movie#1: origin, events, someone outs him, prison

movie#2: prison, born again, leader of the hand (this is the film where he goes crazy so the most amount of hell he faces)

movie#3: shadowland/ king of hells kitchen, lose the hand, fight with the chaste and the people in the kitchen against kingpins hand/ major villains, resolution. (keep in mind i hate shadowland like all of you but i love the idea if done realistically in a movie. IT CAN work if you know what your doing. It doesn't get more epic for a daredevil ending in all honesty)

ignore the plots of gaurdian devil, father, parts of whole, fall from grace but take story elements from them. Keep it smooth, simple and a plot progession. Take arguablely the best moments of his life and give him a tragedy that he not only survives but rises and becomes a symbol of someone who never gives up. this is what defines him and sets him apart is the movie needs to show what he can take and still keep going.

loves: i only want to see Karen and i'll explain why. There is not enough TIME to develop all the girls we want to see. MSJ gave us the elektra story the same way Raimi gave us the mary jane story. Now it's time to hit a different angle. MAYBE elektra in the third movie but it has to be only Karen and this is why typhoid mary is a problem because she is a love of his and she distracts. She's an antagonist when Matt and Karens relationship is developed not when it's developing because it's too soon. She's a moment of weakness where he cheats and becomes a character flaw for him. This is also a problem because she's perfect for an origin story since she fell out the window in MWF and he's responsible.

wow.....no wonder they need to rewrite, this IS hard. 0_0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: