Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil film: New director? Marvel lets Fox hold rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Daredevil film: New director? Marvel lets Fox hold rights? Reply with quote

http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-movie-rights-daredevil-director-joe-carnahan/

I have mixed views about this but in short Marvel wants Galactus and Silver Surfer character rights in exchange for giving Fox a few more months to produce a DD film before the rights automatically revert.

Joe Carnahan is in talks to helm the film after the departure of David Slade. Notable works include Narc, The Grey, Smokin' Aces and and the new A-Team movie.
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the post of Indie-Wire's choice of directors on who should take over the DD film and Carnahan was on top of the list.
If Carnahan wants to do a 70s esque DD film I say go with it. Narc, The A Team, The Grey. Those 3 films are sure enough to show that he has the tools.
Smokin' Aces. In my opinion was a spectacular mess. It was all over the place, but, spectacular.

Now with this news of Fox letting DD go
http://www.slashfilm.com/fox-denies-reports-galactus-trade-marvel-studios/

I honestly would like to see Fox go straight forward with DD with Carnhan on a lower budget so the rights stay with them. I mentioned this on another thread, but, with Marvel's Cinematic Universe where would the character of DD fit?
Sure it would be nice to see DD hook up with Black Widow and all, but, that's just fan service in my opinion. DD should be in his own universe much like Nolan kept Batman into it's own.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the more reason why it's okay for Marvel Studios to get DD back. They can give him his dark little corner of the universe where it ain't all rays and sunshine all the time. He can be in the same Universe(Studio outfit really) as the others, but his movie is dark and gritty.

Carnahan on DD? Please God no!

Other than 'Narc' he has nothing to show for. 'The A-Team' was such a big pile o' mess that he even tried to distance himself from it.

Let's face it guys. The one and only director that can give us an awesome DD movie is the one guy we can't get...

DAVID FINCHER!!!

But if Marvel Studios get DD back. They better nab him before WB gets him for the next Batman Trilogy.

Last edited by Ryu Murdock on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah news came in:

“Those insiders said that with Josh Trank aboard to direct, Fantastic Four is a big priority and the studio would be crazy to give away a cornerstone villain. Especially when the studio is very lukewarm about rebooting Daredevil, which focuses on blind lawyer Matt Murdock and his emergence as a crime fighter powered by heightened sensory perception. [Despite considering Carnahan], it sounds like Fox is ready to let it revert to Disney-owned Marvel, unless Disney is interested in co-financing.”

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=65226#qF59X4ABJTpSEEPR.99

i've said before if it goes back to Marvel we won't see Matt until stage 3 after the cosmic stuff because they have film overkill right now but let this idea to sink in my friends:

6-8 years later

-Daredevil
-Punisher
-Luke Cage
-Iron Fist
-Nova
-War Machine
-Doctor Strange

Stage 3: Secret Avengers

villains: Kingpin, The Hood (or *insert terrorist group name*)

i know i know it's a stretch but with Punisher back and DD likely coming back now, a seperate team that focuses on street or terrorism level threats could be really cool and likely a setup for a Avengers 3 civil war (if they were going that route).

i know we'll have to wait and i previously posted that maybe going with Fox is a good idea for a seperate darker universe but how awesome would it be to see Danny Rand, Frank Castle, Luke Cage and Matt Murdock in the same freaking room! Razz maybe with that their side of the MCU is a darker gritty street world at night.

That's a possibility now and i guess time will tell to see what happens Smile oh btw Fox has two monthes to get a movie started or they lose the rights just to be clear. I believe October 10th is the celebration day.
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I would LOVE to see David Fincher or someone of that caliber take on Daredevil.

I too did not think that The A Team was phenomenal, but, there are elements there that shows Carnahan can stage grand action. Which would be the eventual end fight???

Anyways,
Wish List would be Fincher
Reality List Carnahan, Francis Lawrence?
Why did they List...I personally wouldn't want to see the guy who directed Safe or Len Wiseman.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox must be insane if they are "lukewarm" about rebooting Daredevil, but want to keep Galactus and Surfer. Seriously, wtf...

But I'm so ridiculously stoked that they want Carnahan to direct. He's perfect. I agree, his other films are not great but he himself has described them as "cartoonish", while acknowledging thre gritty realism of Narc and The Grey, which imo are two beautiful films. I hope this co-financing thing works out, because like we all know, Marvel wont do anything with DD once they get him back, whereas Carnahan has the potential to create something never before seen in a comic book movie,
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
Fox must be insane if they are "lukewarm" about rebooting Daredevil, but want to keep Galactus and Surfer. Seriously, wtf...

like we all know, Marvel wont do anything with DD once they get him back, whereas Carnahan has the potential to create something never before seen in a comic book movie,

I agree fully, Carnahan is one of those directors where they can pull out a true rabbit out of their hat. Given DD it could probably propel Carnahan into Nolan status. Bold claim but I can see it happening.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK47DD wrote:
Ash-n-Bone wrote:

like we all know, Marvel wont do anything with DD once they get him back, whereas Carnahan has the potential to create something never before seen in a comic book movie,

I agree fully, Carnahan is one of those directors where they can pull out a true rabbit out of their hat. Given DD it could probably propel Carnahan into Nolan status. Bold claim but I can see it happening.

I'll have to look up David James Kelly's short film "Straw Man" since he was named as screenwriter. It's his only other credit. Has anyone else watched it.

Carnahan's credits don't wow me.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent got a clue about David James Kelly, but from these new updates, it might be that hes not involved any more.

Just been reading Carnahan's tweets, I really do think he'll knock it out of the park should the deal go through. I still cant get over the fact that Fox declined Marvel's offer. Disney/Marvel have already established a universe for FF and like characters to enter, so Fox really should have just let them have it and focused on DD. Interesting msn article here: http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/socialvoices/blogpost.aspx?post=213aba93-9e28-4f45-ae07-95a6b497243c
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best comment I found in the article:

"But DD (whether it goes back to Marvel or stays with Fox and Joe Carnahan directing) is indeed the closest thing to Batman there is."

There's always Moon Knight. Wink

It would risk being a Nolan clone (and the cynical part of me believes the studio would/will push for that) but Daredevil does have the feel of those movies without ripping them off. Frank Miller, a major influence on the Nolanverse, went from Daredevil to Batman after all.

A focus on the character - lawyer by day/vigilante by night (and a Catholic who dresses as the Devil) - could make for a very good film. Hell, Matt Murdock is basically what TDK's Harvey Dent would have been if his Batman confession was true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: