Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil TV Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Daredevil TV Show Reply with quote

I saw this article talking about a DD TV show.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-daredevil-tv-show/

Now I thought it be interesting to discuss a DD TV show. Now besides the characters mentioned on that article I think they will need lots of others. You can't just rely on Kingpin, Bullseye and say Typhoid Mary be the sole villains of the series. You have Kingpin always in the back ground, being the Big Bad of series, only coming into the foreground as needed. I also think it might be better to save Bullseye for the first season finale or have him show up in the middle of the first season and have him beat DD and then have a rematch at the season finale. Bullseye should be used sparingly so he remains menacing.

You need other villains for DD to fight besides Kingpin and his assassins. Now some villains could be given their own episodes and advance the Kingpin stuff as sub plots at first. Although you can have episodes where DD interferes with Kingpin's operations and Kingpin begins to see DD as a threat. Now not all DD villains are going to work in a live action TV show, I don't think they have the budget to do Bushwacker and Mr. Hyde right. Purple Man is easy enough, Mr. Fear is somewhat more tricky, but can work if his costume is toned down. Gladiator would need some episodes.

Also I think they would need to balance the legal stuff with the action, weaving sub plots with law cases that tie into the action plot.

The biggest pitfall is budgetary concerns, it would be hard to do the kind of action you see in a DD comic with a TV budget and it would hard to portray DD's super senses on a TV budget.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Daredevil TV Show Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
The biggest pitfall is budgetary concerns, it would be hard to do the kind of action you see in a DD comic with a TV budget and it would hard to portray DD's super senses on a TV budget.

This is my primary concern too. Doing a live action super-hero story on a weekly basis with a TV budget risks chintziness. Someone out there is welcome to prove me wrong. I just think it would be easier if you took the approach of the Avengers animated serious: a smart and very serial show with animation that allows you to do anything and go anywhere.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Daredevil TV Show Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

This is my primary concern too. Doing a live action super-hero story on a weekly basis with a TV budget risks chintziness. Someone out there is welcome to prove me wrong. I just think it would be easier if you took the approach of the Avengers animated serious: a smart and very serial show with animation that allows you to do anything and go anywhere.

Well an animated series has its own pitfalls, mainly this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto

An Daredevil animated series similar to BTAS could be interesting, though it would have some restrictions. Joker didn't have a massive body count in BTAS. Usually in cartoons that aren't adult comedies, onscreen deaths are usually not tolerated, usually characters have to be killed off screen, though there are a few exceptions. Also I would hope an DD animated series would be more like BTAS and less the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, which had all sorts of stupid restrictions, like forbidding real guns, punching and the word "kill".

Now that Marvel has rights to DD again, I am wondering if they can make a PG-13 animated DTV that covers DD's origin, taking aspects from both Man Without Fear and DD Yellow.

Now getting back to the live action TV series, I think the fact that TV budgets often limit what you can do with a hero. That's why there has never been a really good live action super hero TV show. Smallville for example, was hardly quality TV and the budget restrictions got in the way (Clark having a fight with Doomsday off screen, for example.) I think DD has a bit of an advantage because many of his villains have low key powers and gimmicks, but the fight scenes would be hard to make impressive on a TV budget, as well as the effects for Matt's super sense.

Well we will have to see the new SHIELD and Green Arrow TV series do, to see TV makers can successfully adapt a super hero to the small screen, nowadays.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Daredevil TV Show Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Well we will have to see the new SHIELD and Green Arrow TV series do, to see TV makers can successfully adapt a super hero to the small screen, nowadays.

I didn't know a Green Arrow series was coming. As for SHIELD, I doubt it will be treated like a "superhero" series.

Many would argue that Buffy was a superhero. (Danny Fingeroth did in his book Superhero on the Couch.) That was a very successful series. I suppose she wasn't a comic book superhero yet.

I am skeptical whether a live-action Daredevil series could work. If the actor they hire to play Matt is an actual martial artist, that would be a huge help. The budget though...
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Daredevil TV Show Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

I didn't know a Green Arrow series was coming. As for SHIELD, I doubt it will be treated like a "superhero" series.

Many would argue that Buffy was a superhero. (Danny Fingeroth did in his book Superhero on the Couch.) That was a very successful series. I suppose she wasn't a comic book superhero yet.

I am skeptical whether a live-action Daredevil series could work. If the actor they hire to play Matt is an actual martial artist, that would be a huge help. The budget though...

Yeah there is a Green Arrow show coming out in October:

http://ca.eonline.com/news/342327/five-fall-shows-we-love-arrow-hits-its-intended-target-our-hearts

Also I never saw Buffy, so I can't comment on it. But how much was it like a comic book super hero, what kind of fight scenes could they do a TV budget on that show?

Something like Star Trek TNG, knew would tell a good story on a TV budget. They used models for the space ships, most of the aliens were either energy creatures or guys in makeup. I have only seen a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones, but that has good set pieces for a TV shows. The new Battlestar Galactica series was able to work around the budget by having human Cylons.

I think it would be very hard to find someone who is both a martial artist and a good actor. I do think its hard to pull of really good action scenes on a TV budget.
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, HBO spends a lot for Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Those are mini-films per episode.
Rome was their highest cost when it comes to a series.
So the money is there the question we have to ask is DD a gamble for them?
I personally say yes, take the gamble at least you have one season of 13 stellar episodes. Alas, I am not an HBO or Showtime or an FX executive to make that decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: