Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #26 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #26 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #26, a double-sized special issue by Waid, Samnee and Rodriguez ships May 22nd. It's $3.99, and the cost has been helped out by the American Cancer Society.

Please use this thread to discuss everything about the issue.

Here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V3-026
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was him all the time. I ruled him out because it wasn't his Modus Operandi. But, well, Mark Waid never hide who it was, finally. I just hope he use the Deathstalker and/or Paxton Page in the future.

I like the issue overall, a good 4/5. It's just a little quick sometimes. I like how Matt trick Ikari in the hospital, to go to his "target".

I like also the Matt and Foggy scene at the hospital, with Matt aknowledging that he now fears to die because it would let Foggy alone with his cancer.

I didn't like that much how quick and easily Matt took off "the woman", consdering how she was dangerous for him in the past.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gael wrote:
So it was him all the time. I ruled him out because it wasn't his Modus Operandi. But, well, Mark Waid never hide who it was, finally. I just hope he use the Deathstalker and/or Paxton Page in the future.

I like the issue overall, a good 4/5. It's just a little quick sometimes. I like how Matt trick Ikari in the hospital, to go to his "target".

I like also the Matt and Foggy scene at the hospital, with Matt aknowledging that he now fears to die because it would let Foggy alone with his cancer.

I didn't like that much how quick and easily Matt took off "the woman", consdering how she was dangerous for him in the past.

Yeah this is kinda of odd, he has never been much of a mastermind in the past. I guess he is smarter then I thought he was.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another stellar issue from Waid and Samnee. I think for the most part, this is Samnee's best issue (save for one sketchy panel in the back-up story where Foggy barely has a face). Things moved at a good pace. My favourite part was Matt's method of eluding Ikari in the hospital. I didn't have a problem with his handling of "the woman" given how he had just dodged Ikari a few pages before.

I'd give this issue a 5. I can't wait for the next one!
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was totally unexpected, but it made sense. I didn't rule out it was him because of a supposed lack of money (it has been stated elsewhere that he is, in fact, very rich, often way richer than his employers). I too ruled him out because of the M.O. instead.

As for how DD took out the woman, well it didn't strike me as odd. It is coherent with how she's been depicted. Agile, deadly, but physically weaker than the average combat-based villain. Two well placed punches and it's bed time for her.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/5

It's a good thing I stayed off twitter the other day. Otherwise, I would of been quite negative about this reveal/payoff. I sometimes forget that the journey is sometimes greater than the actual destination. Comics are very much like this.

I think I came of across the cover of #27 and wondered how they were going to squeeze him in this conclusion. I never took this cover solicitation quite literally. It was right there in front of my face the whole time. Well, for the past 2 months.

It's not a bad reveal. Especially when you go and read the cbr interview and the USA Today one. It sort of fits. My problem really stems from having to have Shadowland readdressed. I have done a wonderful job in my mind of blocking that stuff all out up to this point. Wink

Everything else about #26 was just a pure joy to read. Absolutely everything. What a gifted creative team.

C.
Skaughtto
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait for the story arc to finish before laying down anymore ratings and I may need to go back an re-visit some issues. I felt like the sequence of events went something like...

#1 - DD intercepts the Omega Drive (fends off crime sydicates)
#2 - Latverians nab DD and tinker with his noodle for #1
#3 - Dogs, cats and escaped prisoners pop up in the Kitchen with radar sense
#4 - Ikari appears and beats down our hero
#5 - Issue 26...

I'm curious how they are going to tie the crippled(previously dead) archenemy to what's going on. He doesn't seem like the right kind of psychopath to be behind this, create Ikari, etc. I'm looking forward to how it's explained - there's got to be a lot more to the story. How he's alive? Who helped him? What's he doing in the giant metal waterbottle?

I'm really eager to know about the origins of Ikari. Clone of Bullseye? Lady Bullseye's baby from a future timeline? Clone of Daredevil? Child of Stick? Demon offspring of Daredevil? It seemed to me like he could really replace Bullseye as Daredevil's nemesis. I wanted to see him stand more on his own or beside a new criminal mastermind.

Overall the story was really drawn and told well. It kept me flipping pages and rushing to read the next frame. I felt like some of it was a little over the top(the interviewee and the brail on the needle), but it was interesting to see someone playing Daredevil like a fiddle. The way Daredevil evaded Ikari was pretty cool too, really amped up the following battle.

The story in the back with foggy was well written and appreciated.

I would think DD is going to have to track down who isolated his radar sense ability and put an end to it. What's stopping an army of Hand ninjas w/radar?

Where's Jack Murdock? Do you think his body is going to show up somewhere? Maybe it was used for DNA samples to create the radar enabled prisoners?

There's a lot going on that I'm really anxious to read!
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Clayton, I thought the cover to issue #27 was just a trick, but they really went through with it.
I guess this revelation makes more sense than dragging out a villain that hasn't been seen for so many years (and casual DD fans wouldn't even know).
That back-up story was excellent too.
abcdavid01
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newsarama.com/17921-spoiler-sport-behind-daredevil-26-s-surprise-return.html

Wacker mentions another classic DD villain showing up, one who's recently been in a book he edits. Any idea?
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've certainly enjoyed the run this far but the reveal of Bullseye initially disappointed me. I didn't actually consider him because

1) other than Kingpin, Bullseye has been overused. And although I get it that characters continue to come back, the issue way back during the Bendis (or Brubaker, I can't remember) when DD beat the daylights out of Bullseye and decimated him psychologically when DD called him out as the loser, son of a prostitute "Lester," I felt we could put him to rest. But then Shadowland happened and he came back fast.

2) continuing in denial, I really enjoyed everyone's speculation on this board about some of the silver age characters. So I tried hard to to believe Kingpin or Bullseye would come not back. But as Kujiit mentioned, an old school villian might be cool for folks like me who are old and would think it was clever, it wouldn't be too relevant for more recent readers.

3) Bullseye never really was much into strategy. Don't quite buy it that he was a master tactician. I think issue #27 will likely make me ok with this as we learn how this all came to be.

So I said I was initially disappointed. The Bullseye reveal is growing on me and I'm looking forward to having the story played out in #27. I returned to comics a couple of years ago (after a stopping in 1979) by buying TPBs. Daredevil is the only comic I buy month to month and I've loved waiting for each issue each month. I also like DD because it is one of the few comics that generally isn't tied to these large Marvel "epic" storylines like Fear Itself, Siege, etc. Can't keep them straight and can't afford to either.

More than I meant to type, but I have had 3 cups of coffee this morning. I must also say that I really enjoying reading everyone's postings.

--Gordon aka Grinchiedog
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can't keep them straight and can't afford to either. "
As another older reader, even one who , unlike yourself, can't stand Waid, I have to agree with you on that Smile
Skaughtto
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I can handle a one or two issue crossover, but the larger events can be financially prohibative. I bought the whole Shadowland event(after the fact)and I don't think it was really worth it. Crummy ending that doesn't seem to carry much weight in volume 3... The recent crossovers have been alright though Omega Effect and that one issue Spidey crossover.

I read X-Men 15 years ago, but feel really lost now after missing some of the major events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: