Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe Reply with quote

Has anyone read this book? It was a Christmas present this year and I just finished it. Great book. I had hoped that it would spend more time on Miller's run on Daredevil but that time period of the book focused more on the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run.

A couple of things that jumped out to me:

It's tough to figure out Stan Lee. The book made him out to be a good enough guy, but it seems like he was so desperate to be famous outside of the comics field that he was willing to sell his soul to make that happen. The sad part is that it didn't happen and he threw Kirby and Ditko under the bus.

The Stan Lee vs. Jack Kirby character creator debate really didn't need to happen. From what I read, the whole Marvel era was an amalgam of those two guys with neither one making a greater contribution to the finished product. To me, it was a couple of guys with huge egos trying to be 'the guy'

Jack Kirby got screwed by Marvel.

I never read Kirby's DC stuff. In fact, other than Vertigo, I haven't read much of the DC line. But after reading tis book, it sounds like Star Wars is a rip off of Kirby's New Gods series...I wonder if anyone has asked Lucas about that. New Gods: Mark Moonrider, Darkseid and the Source. Star Wars: Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader and the Force. Makes me want to find a TPB of the New Gods to see if there are any other similarities.

I also want to read the late 60s and early 70s Dr. Strange. The creative team would drop acid and the write the scripts. It has to be good reading.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the way it tried to explain all the different artists at the start of DD's publication. Makes more sense now.

Overall I thought the book was pretty good, but I think it could have used some photos... but Sean has posted a lot of the images that he references on his tumblr

http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: