Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E1 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E1 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E1.
Please only discuss elements in this episode, not any others that follow.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know next to nothing about Jessica Jones other than her relationship with Luke Cage and that they had a child together. I've never been inclined to read Alias. In fact, the only reason I decided to check this out is because of David Tennant.

That being said, this first episode was good but very dark, very adult, and violent. I can't comment on how faithful an adaption this is of her comic character, but I thought Ritter did a good job portraying a woman lost, struggling to survive while still suffering from guilt and loss. Tennant, whose sighting is few and far between here naturally, comes off as elusive, highly dangerous, and scary in an unnatural way. I did like how they built up the fear, anxiety, hopelessness of handling a threat like Killgrave.

As for Luke, eh, he was okay. I can't recall though if they even mentioned his name in this episode.

My only question is how are they addressing her abilities. I don't watch Agents of SHIELD anymore, so are they implying that she may be an Inhuman?

Overall, a good start though I'm not sure how far I will follow this series. As with DD, it's so dark and violent that I can only watch a few episodes at any given time.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS for future episodes:

It's pretty faithful to the book. Car accident and chemicals. There may be more to it than that, but it's not explored in this season.

Anyway, I wrote reviews for another forum when I started watching Friday night. I'll repost those here for each episode:

I try to make a drink appropriate for the show. Unfortunately, the drink for this show would just be straight whiskey (or Four Horsemen) and I don't hate myself as much as Jessica Jones does. So I'm going to take a shot of whiskey, chase it with some Miller High Life, and then chill and drink beer for the rest of the night. After that (tomorrow?), I'll switch to some kind of purple drink in honor of Killgrave. OK, here goes:

To me, this starts the opposite of Daredevil. That one was superheroics from the opening scene. This one is very human, very personal. I like the noir-ish voiceovers. The opening credits are very David Mack, but they're also kind of like this episode. Subtle at first, but building to a crescendo.

I'm really curious to see what the backstory is between Jessica and Killgrave. I'm assuming it's a change from the books. It seems to me to be connected to Luke Cage in some way, but I'm not sure. The reveal that he's with Purple Man was great - I love the trippy camera work (although it doesn't work well with the whiskey). And the ending was completely shocking.

Five Stars

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
GratefulFred
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica Jones, PI, is a perfect match for our Daredevil Defender's series, in that PIs and lawyers can work together, and keeps with the gritty approach we have grown to love from the magical Netflix Daredevil season 1.

Since not everyone has plowed through the binge watching experience with JJ and to keep things focused on the 1st episode, it like DD, sets the stage for a 13 hour movie with a plot that will grow during the course of the season.

Just as Frank Miller breathed fresh life into Daredevil, Kingpin, Electra, Bullseye, the Punisher and I might as well throw in Turk in the mix, Bendis deserves credit for bringing justice to the campy Purple Man in his Alias comic as well as creating a dark burnt out ex- super hero in Jessica Jones.

Though it is unfair to compare, as we like to do, the Purple Man, as an antagonist, to Kingpin, I feel as Daredevil fans we will all love this rendition of a Daredevil nemesis. Bendis infused the Purple Man/Killgrave with a wickedness of what his powers are really capable of doing and episode 1 shows you a small rendition of his powers in action.

Watching Jessica Jones reminded me in a small way to one of the most awesome superhero movies "Unbreakable" where the hero doesn't wear a costume and the world around is cruel and redemption is not a simple path.

Episode 1 set the stage and do stick with it if you love great original story telling.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first watched this episode, it didn't quite gel for me. Lots of setup, which for a plot-driven modern noir like this, is to be expected... but the pacing feels just a hair behind the curve and some of the humor doesn't land. Not quite as good out-of-the-gate as Daredevil was.

I've warmed to it over subsequent viewings (between friends and my significant other, I've seen it three times as of this post). I think maybe the plot was a bit much to take at once or something.

If I have one critique, it would be of Krysten Ritter. Usually, she's great. However, she occasionally lapses from 'sympathetic antihero' to 'catty bitch'. The little bit with the dude filming the time-lapse film sticks out. "Mercy killing" and so forth. None of the jokes in that scene really hit, so it didn't work on a humor level, and her delivery just seemed slightly out-of-sync.

It's a good show, and in retrospect, a better pilot than I gave it credit for. But the show really doesn't 'pick up' for me until 3 or 4 episodes in.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GratefulFred wrote:
Jessica Jones, PI, is a perfect match for our Daredevil Defender's series, in that PIs and lawyers can work together, and keeps with the gritty approach we have grown to love from the magical Netflix Daredevil season 1.

Since not everyone has plowed through the binge watching experience with JJ and to keep things focused on the 1st episode, it like DD, sets the stage for a 13 hour movie with a plot that will grow during the course of the season.

Just as Frank Miller breathed fresh life into Daredevil, Kingpin, Electra, Bullseye, the Punisher and I might as well throw in Turk in the mix, Bendis deserves credit for bringing justice to the campy Purple Man in his Alias comic as well as creating a dark burnt out ex- super hero in Jessica Jones.

Though it is unfair to compare, as we like to do, the Purple Man, as an antagonist, to Kingpin, I feel as Daredevil fans we will all love this rendition of a Daredevil nemesis. Bendis infused the Purple Man/Killgrave with a wickedness of what his powers are really capable of doing and episode 1 shows you a small rendition of his powers in action.

Watching Jessica Jones reminded me in a small way to one of the most awesome superhero movies "Unbreakable" where the hero doesn't wear a costume and the world around is cruel and redemption is not a simple path.

Episode 1 set the stage and do stick with it if you love great original story telling.

Well a lot of people are saying Kilgrave is one of best villains in the MCU (though in that regards his only competition are Loki and Fisk, most of the other villains are okay or just plain bad.) I would also argue that Ennis redefined Punisher more then Miller did, if they give Punisher his own show, I would like them to adapt Ennis stories more then anything else that was written about him.

An adaption really allows you to focus on the elements that can make a villain compelling or add new elements. Mr. Freeze was a joke till he appeared in Batman the Animated Series and was given some pathos.

Its really hard to compare Fisk with Kilgrave, they are very different characters, Kilgrave is more comparable to Bullseye then Fisk. Kilgrave is more creepy and sinister then Fisk in the Netflix shows, but Fisk is more layered and morally complex. Kilgrave does do some things in the Jessica Jones show that are interesting and wouldn't work with other villains. I also feel like you can do more with Fisk long term, he can develop into the Kingpin over time in the Netflix show, while Kilgrave will always remain the same entitled psychopath, no matter what.

I will say in the Marvel TV shows, it seems like some of the Daredevil related villains are the most compelling in the MCU. Not only do you have Fisk and Kilgrave, but apparently Mr. Hyde is one of the better villains that appears in Agents of Shield, Owl and Gladiator were also decent in the DD show (I'm sure we will see more of Gladiator and have Owlsley Jr. appear in the show later.)

Really there are no bad villains, only bad writers and most B-list villains can improved in an adaption in other media. Except for Stilt-Man, he will be forever relegated to Easter Egg status in the MCU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: