Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E13 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E13 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Jessica Jones S1E13 or any episode before this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finished it today and I have to say I'm really a bit dissappointed by the show. I liked it overall, but there are so many flaws that I can't recommend it wholeheartedly.

pros:
- Kilgrave. DAMN. spot on casting and expertly written. You'll be glued to the screen every time he is on.

- Feeling. It really nails the gritty-noir-crime genre as interpreted by the MCU.

-Chemistry. though I didn't like a lot about her per se, I think the chemistry between JJ and her friends and foes is pretty great. marvel really seems to get the witty banter and the back and forth between people.

- tension. Yeah this is something worth mentioning. the story was thrilling and even though I didn't care for the main character that much, I really wanted to see how all of it ends. the show definitely gets more interesting and exciting with every episode

cons:

- Jessica Jones. I dont like her and never did during the 13 episodes. her personality was just too exhausting to stand a lot of the times. there were times when I actually rooted for kilgrave to torture her a bit.

- the sex. I think if placed correctly, a good sex scene can help develope the characters and story. but I couldn't help but feel annoyed by how often this was used for no apparent reason other than to show how much of a "free spirit" Jessica is. we get it, she is not the typical girl next door and she doesnt play by the rules yaddayadda... this should have been done more subtle I think.

- the action. now don't get me wrong here. I understand perfectly fine, that Jessica and Luke aren't ninjas and the fighting should look more like a pub brawl or something. but hot damn, the fight scenes were plain awful. the directors really should have been more creative in their ways to depict their powers. every time they fight, you will see the same **** over and over again. you will loose count on how many times Jessica punches someone and then a cut is made to show us the stuntmen throwing "themselves" into walls and tables in the next shot. at one point Luke Cage even punches a guy with an uppercut so he can fall doing a backflip. what the hell were they thinking?[/u]

-

All in all I think Jessica Jones is a worthwhile show for marvel fans. especially those who yearn for some more female representation in the MCU, will find a lot to love. just dont make the mistake and compare it to the Daredevil show, which is pretty much better on every level.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching the last episode... It was a good show!! As good as Daredevil? It could be but i wasn't paying as much attention to details as I was in Daredevil. Kilgrave was awesome. He was the highlight of the show. I really hope to see him interact with Daredevil someday (cause i don't think we've seen the last of him). I wasn't hooked immediately, not until episode 6.

I give it 3,5(maybe 4)/5 stars, if i may...
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished watching it last night. I really liked it, but it's not without its faults. Many of the things other people complained about got to me as well. Too much sex. Jessica could be a little overbearing sometimes, especially in later episodes. I like a protagonist who has personality flaws, it makes them more realistic. Sometimes, though, Jessica was just insufferable to the point where I didn't want to watch her anymore. They could have toned it down a bit.

I didn't notice the lack of swearing until somebody else pointed it out, although there were a couple instances that had me scratching my head. The big one was the infamous "screw yourself" joke. I'm honestly not sure how I was supposed to interpret that. The tone of the scene, and the fact that the people I was watching it with laughed, means I think it was supposed to be sex joke. If he had said the f-word, it would have been funny. Instead, I pictured a guy torturing himself with a drill, which is about on par with the other stuff he did in the series.

Those aren't really big deals to me, though. There are two other big flaws that really got to me. I'm in a rush and don't have time to type it all out, so maybe I'll edit this later to talk about them.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was really good with some excellent moments. The Sin Bin episode was incredible. Jessica drank too much at the beginning and it could make it seem that she acts the way she does because she's either drunk or hungover and it isn't the case.

Everything about it was as spot on as I'd hope for an adaptation of Alias because an adaptation will never be the same (as good?) as the source.

I've read places that the show did the Kilgrave/Jessica relationship better than the book. I disagree, it was given depth in the show because I read the book way before. Not to say that it wasn't excellently done it just built up to the reveal and conclusion better in Alias.

The ending was very suitable: maybe if I try hard I might do some good. A great way to leave the story for a while. Much more understated than Daredevil's rise from brutal vigilante to hero. It just underlines the difference that can occur even though it's the same neighbourhood in the same format from the same company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: