Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How much of a team player should Daredevil be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: How much of a team player should Daredevil be? Reply with quote

Daredevil has recently acquired a partner in the main DD title. DD was also recently a Avenger for a bit. DD also led a team of street level characters back in the early 2000s. However for most of his career DD was a loner.

How much of a team player should Daredevil be?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him as a gruff mentor because he is about as pleasant a teacher as Stick (you can see this when he was trying to teach that blind kid during Nocenti's run). However, I don't see him as a traditional team player. His skill set isn't well-suited for it, at a minimum.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the kind of guy who you want teaching you but you'll only appreciate it later when the things he refused to explain would click. Exactly the kind of teacher you want to learn to fight from. It would be hell while it was happening though.

He should only ever help out other teams if he feels like it and on a temporary basis. How well does the most stubborn and determined guy with the weakest power set fit in to something like the Avengers? Neither of them really do much for the other.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayle88 wrote:
He's the kind of guy who you want teaching you but you'll only appreciate it later when the things he refused to explain would click. Exactly the kind of teacher you want to learn to fight from. It would be hell while it was happening though.

He should only ever help out other teams if he feels like it and on a temporary basis. How well does the most stubborn and determined guy with the weakest power set fit in to something like the Avengers? Neither of them really do much for the other.

Well the Netflix Daredevil will be working in a team when the Defenders series premieres. I can imagine DD could work in a small team of street level heroes dealing with street level problems, similar to the team he was on in the early 2000s. Such a group may not last very long and DD would likely only join if there was a threat he couldn't defeat alone. DD hasn't had to deal with a bunch of his villains teaming up to take him down since the late 80s and when he did, he got pretty badly beaten. That might be a threat he would need other heroes to help him with.

DD has teamed with Spidey a lot, he had a small team to help him defeat those Yakuza guys.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he works great with duos. I am sympathetic to Mark Waid's Original Sin tie-in where he was saying that he's ill-suited to the big Avengers fights because his radar sense gets confused in the chaos and his power-set isn't the strongest.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about small teams but I don't really consider them teams that you're referring to. It's more like contemporaries lending a hand. The great part in Bendis' run with Iron Fist, Cage and Spidey was just going in and kicking the crap out of the bad guys. It wasn't so much operating as a unit like the Avengers.

I don't think he is incapable of being on a team it's just not the best situation for him on anything other than a temporary basis.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have never been made an Avenger (much as I believe that Spidey should never have been one) in that, in the grander fights and conflicts, the focus would have been lost upon him. Plus, his mentality, personality, powers, he's never quite been one to play well with others.

If it's street-level crime, that I can see, if he's part of a similar group of street heroes. But the more cosmic you go (as can happen with the Avengers), the less I think Matt becomes effective.

It's the same type of reasoning why I hate Batman being part of the Justice League. Fighting the levels of street crime in Gotham is perfect but when Bruce starts slapping Darksied around, that's when I start having problems. It's incongruous.
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daredevil is really suited for a mentor or leader type role as has been mentioned but I also think he can do a proper team as well. But when I think of what the Defenders can potentially be and the type of teams I think DD should be a part of it's nothing like the Avengers.

What I mean by that is instead of being a group of heroes that band together to fight a more powerful foe I think of the Defenders as being more like a network or cell. No uniforms or clubhouses but they each have their own areas they work in and they share information on what villians work where and when need be they team up in twos and threes if someone needs a help with a specific problem..
patrek
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny_Anonymous wrote:
I think Daredevil is really suited for a mentor or leader type role as has been mentioned but I also think he can do a proper team as well. But when I think of what the Defenders can potentially be and the type of teams I think DD should be a part of it's nothing like the Avengers.

What I mean by that is instead of being a group of heroes that band together to fight a more powerful foe I think of the Defenders as being more like a network or cell. No uniforms or clubhouses but they each have their own areas they work in and they share information on what villians work where and when need be they team up in twos and threes if someone needs a help with a specific problem..

Seems like the majority would prefer DD as a mentor or leader but as you pointed out units with skills that are properly placed in a specific team will be just as effective as any other team regardless of their level of power. Yes, he's not as strong as the other heroes but he can do extremely well in a team that is assigned to a mission well suited to his skills. Besides if any body of the other heroes get sued, at least they know who to call. Right? Laughing
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I think he works great with duos. I am sympathetic to Mark Waid's Original Sin tie-in where he was saying that he's ill-suited to the big Avengers fights because his radar sense gets confused in the chaos and his power-set isn't the strongest.

I agree. I think he's great as part of a duo. Three is kinda pushing it and leads to some strain. Anything over that doesn't really fit.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: