Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

just a little talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneranger
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: just a little talk Reply with quote

I`ve just started watching Daredevil this weekend and I just wanted to get some opinions.
I really like the story eventhough I´m struggling a bit with the vigilante justice. And in my opinion it is very brutal and bloody.
Is that just me? and are the books also that brutal?
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the books are not as brutal. They can be action heavy. There are beatings and injuries. But the kind of stuff shown at say... the ends of episodes 3 and 4? Won't be shown on-panel.

(It might be helpful to remember that mainstream Marvel and DC generally don't go R-rated with imagery. That's what the MAX line was—and DC's Vertigo line is—for.)
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the show but I've always been a bit torn in terms of the ridiculously inconsistent tone. One minute Foggy is all "aw, shucks Matt, can't we just have some fun?" and it's all light and happy and then the next Punisher is literally and graphically punching someone's face off.

I mean, it has ninjas and a clearly sort of goofy comic book tone. In some ways I just feel like the story, etc. doesn't justify the over the top violence.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
loneranger
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
One minute Foggy is all "aw, shucks Matt, can't we just have some fun?" and it's all light and happy and then the next Punisher is literally and graphically punching someone's face off.

I mean, it has ninjas and a clearly sort of goofy comic book tone. In some ways I just feel like the story, etc. doesn't justify the over the top violence.

yeah I feel the same way.
I really like the idea of the story but all the violence is just way over the top.
Maybe I should start reading the comics Very Happy
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I think the tone remains largely consistent (in regards to the violence and graphic nature anyway).

Take S1 E1 for example. As soon as you see Matt uncontrollably pounding away on the thug on the ground you know it's gonna be violent. And then the series progresses to blood and gore (Fisk smashing the guy's head in the car door).

It's not as brutal in the comics, but I don't think it's worlds away. If we saw that type of violence in say Guardians of the Galaxy then yes, but the DD comics head in that direction anyway.

And this season with the addition of the Punisher it was bound to get even bloodier but I don't think they crossed any lines yet. We haven't really seen anything in the show that has been inconsistent between episodes. The brutal nature of the show has been there since the first episode.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
I disagree. I think the tone remains largely consistent (in regards to the violence and graphic nature anyway).

Take S1 E1 for example. As soon as you see Matt uncontrollably pounding away on the thug on the ground you know it's gonna be violent. And then the series progresses to blood and gore (Fisk smashing the guy's head in the car door).

It's not as brutal in the comics, but I don't think it's worlds away. If we saw that type of violence in say Guardians of the Galaxy then yes, but the DD comics head in that direction anyway.

And this season with the addition of the Punisher it was bound to get even bloodier but I don't think they crossed any lines yet. We haven't really seen anything in the show that has been inconsistent between episodes. The brutal nature of the show has been there since the first episode.

The violence has always been over the top in terms of episode to episode so it's consistent in that way. But what I'm saying is that the tone is inconsistent within each episode or within the show itself. The violence is realistic but nothing else in the show is.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ok, yeah, I guess I can agree with that. There has been some tonal shifts here and there, much more in this season than last.

I thought the zombie like teens in the hospital seemed more DC TV universe than the Marvel Netflix world.

And the second half of the S2 finale came off like an 80s action parody at times.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do find some of the violence excessive at times, or at least overly gory, I don't have a problem with the switch in tone, often supplied by Foggy, within the episodes. I find that welcome, actually.

It's not unusual to have supporting characters provide a contrasting brightness within a dark story. Think of the fooles in Shakespeare's tragedies. The porter in Macbeth is a good example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: