Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #8 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #8?
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #8 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #8 is already coming next week.
As you may know, the original solicit for this issue was moved to issue #10, and this issue will be drawn by Goran Sudzuka.
Looks like a James Bond homage, and if you look at the preview, check out the easter egg about Matt's alias.

Here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-008

DAREDEVIL #8 by Soule, Sudzuka and Milla ships June 8th. Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue.
ManWithoutBeer
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point my expectations are very low, but a sidebar Bond-style Hold'em night with DD should be fun.

Since I'll have no expectations that any ongoing questions I have about the identity genie being back in the bottle, the black costume, Foggy, etc. etc. etc.. Deal me in. I could actually use a 2 month break from being frustrated with the main story.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have to admit that the opening page sold me on wanting to read this issue. That really made me smile. Ultimately, this is an odd issue. The important parts are about Matt and his risk-seeking behavior. Certainly, neither Poker nor psychic battles are anything that'll stick in my memory (and I feel I have to suspend my disbelief since this isn't really the time of his life for this). I'm curious to see where this goes, but I'll give this a Three and a Half. It's pleasant, but that's about it.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
thennings
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best issue of this run so far. I like a comic that can be read as single issue as well as part of an arc. Love the reference to one of the worst DD stories ever. Finally starting to do something significant to illustrate Matt's senses.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it, had most of what I like in a DD story, his fearless attitude shining through as a positive and negative, creative use of his senses, good action (this time a psychic battle which was fun) and some good art. Great stuff, DD needs fun stories like this to break up the dark gritty ones, it has to be a roller coaster.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this issue. I think this is Soule's best Daredevil issue yet.

First off, it was very cool to get Goran Sudzuka to do an issue. He's an awesome artist, and easily has contributed the best art of the volume so far. I haven't seen his work since Y: The Last Man.

Secondly, it was nice to see Matt taking so many risks this issue. It kind of brought me back to what I liked best about Waid's run: Matt's impetuousness. At first, it seems crazy for Matt to take part in a high-stakes poker tournament, especially if the cards are "covered in a coating to protect them from wear. It also means I can't read them with my fingertips, enhanced senses or no." But half of poker seems to be reading the other players, and that's something Matt can do better than anyone else. It was very cool to see how he could work his way through the tournament with such a huge disadvantage on one hand, and such a strength on the other.

If Soule can, from here on in, continue to give us scenes like the one where Matt pushes a mountain of chips into the centre of the table while thinking, "Let's just see what happens," I'll keep buying the issues. I love seeing Matt throw caution to the wind like that. I can't afford to, so it's exciting to read about someone who does.

I just read "Flying Blind" a few months ago when I picked up the Widow's Kiss trade. Based on what I heard, I expected it to be a lot worse. It was cool to see the reference made. I don't know how many casual readers would get the reference.

I don't know if Alexander Apex has any earlier appearances. A Google search turned up nothing. I don't know who fed Matt the intel on Apex, but it was great to see him operating so confidently at the table. Of course, now Apex knows that Laurent Lavasseur is blind. Or maybe he knows that Lavasseur has strong mental defenses.

I don't know whether I buy that Stick trained Matt to build up his mental defenses. I guess it's possible, but Matt has fallen to people's mental attacks before. Of course, in the case of Killgrave, I think Matt's heightened senses give him an extra foothold in reality that us normal people couldn't achieve. Perhaps that helped him here as well.

Again, we don't get many answers as to why things are the way they currently are, but this issue was entertaining enough for me to be distracted from all of that. For now....

Matt at least seems to have regrets for whatever deal he made.

I gave this a four.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a boring issue.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my biggest curiosity is what people thought of the psychic battle. I'm a little torn on it. It was obviously done to add some action to a non-action issue. On the one hand, this is a Marvel book and I have absolutely no problem with a Daredevil writer acknowledging the character doesn't exist in a bubble. On the other hand, a fight on the astral plane makes far more sense for an X-Book than a Daredevil book.

I do like that he fought with boxing gloves. IMO, that was a nice touch. I'm not saying the fight wasn't handled well, for what that's worth, but it does seem a little odd, no?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was easily Soule's best written issue.
It was fun and engaging. Great artwork.
I liked how Soule remembered that this isn't the first time Matt has hustled his way through Texas Hold'em. He did the same thing way back in the glory days of Brubaker's wonderful run.

I absolutely loved the psychic battle. I loved that Soule brought it to the forefront that Stick (and others?) taught Matt to defend against psychic assault. I wish Remender had used that in the rather pointless AVX fight with Psylocke instead of her being overwhelmed by his senses for some "reason" when she tried to get in his head. Most writers have sadly avoided that particular skill Murdock has, which is weird considering it was an addition from Frank Miller and his stuff is usually gospel. I remember the great moment from Elektra Lives Again when a member of the Hand tried to get into Matt's head and it didn't end well.

These last 3 issues have been great and I hope maybe this means Soule is starting to hit his stride and we are in for some greatness ahead.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this was a fun issue. Soule takes Matt out of his usual environs and lets his wild side and love of taking risks show.

Apex appears to be a non-mutant telepath (for one thing, he's not suffering from M-pox) and his psychic confrontation with Matt added some nice action to this story. I have no qualms over Matt having been trained in mental defenses by Stick; it makes sense given the mysticism aspects of both the Chaste and the Hand. Mental defense could be a by-product of training your mental disciplines.

Although Matt seems overly concerned about Apex breaking through and learning his secrets. That makes me wonder if there is some kind of fail-safe in the method Matt used to fix his secret identity. For example, if someone learned his secret and then publicly revealed it, would it unlock everyone's former memory/knowledge of it and undo everything Matt changed?

I'm interested to see what Matt is chasing after here. Black Cat has made recent moves towards establishing her own criminal empire in NY so this was a nice acknowledgement from another street level title of that. So meeting Peter at the end makes even more sense and I'm looking forward to what happens with the duo next issue.

Art was great, Matt lost some of his recent resemblance to Charlie Cox which was nice.

Four stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: