Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil Epic Collections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Daredevil Epic Collections Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of the solicitation of the 2nd Daredevil Epic Collection ?
On Amazon's site, it has the first Daredevil Epic Collection: The Man Without Fear release date August 2nd which contains DAREDEVIL (1964) 1-21.

The next solicitation is on March 7th, 2017 which is third Daredevil Epic Collection: Brother, Take My Hand and contains DAREDEVIL (1964) 42-63.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm aware. I don't know why they made these choices, though. Here I am, crazy about obtaining some rare stuff collected in Epics (the premise of collecting the whole of volume one through these editions is quite nice) and they decide to relaunch stuff that's already available in Marvel Masterworks, Essentials AND in the omnibus to be released early 2017! Mad Evil or Very Mad
MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are saying there is a solicitation for a 2nd Daredevil Epic Collection that would contain issues 22-41? Could you point me in the direction of such a solicitation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like the way they seem like they're doing it (bad if you bought that Epic Collection with the first twenty or so issues, though). There's the Oversized Daredevil Omnibus - Issues 1-41. Then they're adding Brother, Take My Hand TPB, which is 42-63.

Granted, Take My Hand is called Epic Collection 3, so I have no idea the order of these things.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Epic Collections are not released in order, so you may not see the second volume for awhile.

They've come out like this so far...

2014 - Vol. 18 - Fall From Grace
2015 - Vol. 25 - Widow's Kiss
2016 - Vol. 13 - A Touch of Typhoid
2016 - Vol. 1 - The Man Without Fear

And the only one we know about so far next year is:

2017 - Vol. 3 - Brother, Take My Hand
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That would suggest these have been planned out. I could see myself wasting so much time trying to map these.

The only obvious one would be 22-41 (Mike Murdock Saga, I suppose), which, if I were the, I couldn't bother making since the Stan Lee Omnibus is 1-41. However, it does make me realize that Brother Take My Hand starts at the wrong place. #41 is the beginning of a decent Jester story arc that continues for the next several issues.

When I tried plotting Brother Take My Hand to A Touch of Typhoid, I found it doesn't work smoothly. At least, it won't be 21 issues a piece. Maybe I'll look at story arcs and see if that works.

ETA: Here is my take so far (issue count in parentheses):

1. 1-21 The Man Without Fear (22)
2. 22-41 (19)
3. 42-63 Brother Take My Hand (21)

Then I'm not sure for awhile. I decided it was easier to work backwards.

13. 253-270 A Touch of Typhoid (17)
12. 234-252 American Dreamer (18 ) (basically early Nocenti, wasn't sure a better title)
11. 215-233 Born Again (18 ) (late Denny O'Neil plus Born Again)
10. 192-212 Micah Synn Saga (20) (all the issues following Miller's original run until #215, which is a Miller fill-in)

Then things get tricky. I want Volume 9 to be 168-191, but I feel I had to split it, so I went with:
8. 155-172 (17)
9. 173-191 (18 )

7 will probably be Purple Man/Maxwell Glenn, but I'll admit my knowledge gets shaky there. I'm also not counting Annuals, which I probably should.

MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an incorrect post and that date will be the solicitation for the 2nd Epic Collection for issues 22-41 and that info is for the next solicitation. I want to purchase all of these, but if they are ignorant enough to jump around like that, they have lost a buyer.
I don't buy the omnibus books.

Last edited by MWOF on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see that there's a new Daredevil Marvel Masterworks solicited for March as well.
Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Vol. 11 Hardcover – March 21, 2017
by Steve Gerber (Author), Chris Claremont (Author), Gerry Conway (Author), Tony Isabella (Author), Bob Brown (Illustrator), Gene Colan (Illustrator), Don Heck (Illustrator), Sal Buscema (Illustrator)
Daredevil teams up with not just one, but two stunning women of Marvel when the Black Widow and Shanna the She-Devil join the battle against the Black Spectre. Together, they must uncover the secret leaders of an organization bent on bringing the United States to its knees. It's a massive saga that will pull in heroes from across the Marvel Universe including Moondragon and the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing, culminating in a battle on the White House lawn! Classic villains like the Gladiator and the Owl abound, and new enemies emerge when Death-Stalker hatches a plan that brings the Man-Thing into the fray. Add in a return to Fogwell's Gym, where it all began, and what we have in store and true Marvel Masterworks!

COLLECTING: DAREDEVIL (1964) 108-119, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) 3
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWOF wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an incorrect post and that date will be the solicitation for the 2nd Epic Collection for issues 22-41 and that info is for the next solicitation. I want to purchase all of these, but if they are ignorant enough to jump around like that, they have lost a buyer.
I don't buy the omnibus books.

They've already jumped around with Typhoid Mary and Fall From Grace happening first.

I don't see any point in buying 22-41. Just buy 1-41 instead.

Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWOF wrote:
So, you are saying there is a solicitation for a 2nd Daredevil Epic Collection that would contain issues 22-41? Could you point me in the direction of such a solicitation?

Sorry man, didn't mean to mislead or anything.
I just assumed that you'd made a little mistake and went on talking about the Epics (with vol. 3 in mind) Laughing . Vol.2 really isn't available right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: