Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil's Love Interests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Daredevil's Love Interests Reply with quote

There seems to be a pattern with DD's love interests:

Karen Page, Heather Glenn and Gloriana O'Breen are dead.

Elektra died and came back, but I doubt she and Matt are going to get back together.

Typhoid Mary is insane and Milla Donovan was driven insane by Mr. Fear.

Black Widow and Kristen Mcduffie are the most stable former love interests at this point.

This is getting a bit silly, what's next, Matt goes starts dating a cut girl and Bullseye shows up out of nowhere to kill her on the third date?

Do think the writers have put Matt's love life in a depressing rut? Should the next love interest stick around for a while and not get murdered by super villains or go insane or befall any sort of tragic fate?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason's pretty straight forward. Once Karen left originally, they abandoned the idea of giving Daredevil a concrete permanent love interest. They'd have one for awhile and then get bored and move on. But you run into the problem of how you get rid of the current one. Having them die is a pretty straight forward way to solve the problem. Combine this with the popularity of the Elektra Saga and you have your answer. Karen's death, for example, was deliberately invoking the earlier death.

That being said, Heather Glenn committed suicide, Glori was killed long after she was relevant (and some people think D.G. Chichester was just being vindictive when he did it) and none of the other love interests are currently dead.

I also think they're aware this is a thing (obviously, they reference it a lot of times). Milla's fate, to me, was deliberately designed to avoid killing her, even if they basically wrote her out. Kristen and Tasha are doing just fine. I don't think it's fair to say there's an overabundance of deaths caused by Bullseye at this point. I don't really even count Elektra, so it's just Karen.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really thought Matt and Dakota North could have been something great. Daredevil 111 is still one of my favorite issues.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always uncomfortable with that one because it was such a moral failing on his part. He's cheating on his wife and then fighting an annulment.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I was always uncomfortable with that one because it was such a moral failing on his part. He's cheating on his wife and then fighting an annulment.

I see where you're coming from, but it didn't bother me too much. I thought it was insane of him to marry Milla in the first place, and he had never truly worked through his grief over Karen. I'm also a huge Brubaker fan, so I may have been more open to the idea of what happened in that issue, simply because he was writing it.

I'm hoping Daredevil stays single for the next while, although if he wants to engage in more illicit fun with Black Cat, I'm not going to complain.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I love Brubaker's writing too, but I don't think Brubaker wants us to feel comfortable with what's happening.

As for Daredevil/Black Cat sex, I don't think anyone can draw that hotter than Samnee did.

Kirigi8487
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I really liked the Misty Knight/Daredevil pairing in Dark Nights. The whole thing was very James Bond-ish where Matt had no qualms or reservations about hooking up with a hot and willing character like Misty. The panel where Matt's driving and Misty nuzzles up to him was pretty hot.

I never liked Matt and Kirsten as a concept (not just because I hate Kirsten's character) but the idea of a prominent defense attorney and ASA hooking up just seems like it be a bad ethical idea for both parties involved because they'd have to recuse themselves if they were assigned to the same case.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's ethically tricky. That being said, it worked better in Volume 4 where she seemed to be on the defense.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
The reason's pretty straight forward. Once Karen left originally, they abandoned the idea of giving Daredevil a concrete permanent love interest. They'd have one for awhile and then get bored and move on. But you run into the problem of how you get rid of the current one. Having them die is a pretty straight forward way to solve the problem. Combine this with the popularity of the Elektra Saga and you have your answer. Karen's death, for example, was deliberately invoking the earlier death.

That being said, Heather Glenn committed suicide, Glori was killed long after she was relevant (and some people think D.G. Chichester was just being vindictive when he did it) and none of the other love interests are currently dead.

I also think they're aware this is a thing (obviously, they reference it a lot of times). Milla's fate, to me, was deliberately designed to avoid killing her, even if they basically wrote her out. Kristen and Tasha are doing just fine. I don't think it's fair to say there's an overabundance of deaths caused by Bullseye at this point. I don't really even count Elektra, so it's just Karen.

I would count Elektra, just because she came back doesn't negate the fact that Bullseye killed her (Miller wanted her to stay dead.)

And really if we count Elektra, that is 4 dead girl friends.

Also Milla was driven insane and Typhoid Mary was insane from the beginning and Echo was planning on killing DD when she was dating Matt.

So like 2 women Matt has dated have not met some horrible fate.

Compare that Spidey, he has one dead love interest, two if you count Jean Dewolfe.

Most of his love interests are alive and crazy or super villains (though Black Cat seems to become more villainous lately), Betty Brant has been through some bad stuff in her life, but she has not gone insane.

Also why would the writers abandon giving DD a stable love interest after Karen left? Peter Parker broke up with Betty Brant and moved to other more iconic love interests like MJ and Gwen Stacy.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fond of Dakota North myself!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirigi8487 wrote:

I never liked Matt and Kirsten as a concept (not just because I hate Kirsten's character) but the idea of a prominent defense attorney and ASA hooking up just seems like it be a bad ethical idea for both parties involved because they'd have to recuse themselves if they were assigned to the same case.

In my experience prosecution and defence lawyers hook up/date/marry each other all the time. Not only is such a thing not rare it's downright common. The fact is that criminal lawyers, no matter which side they are on have more similarities than differences. Plus, lawyers know lawyers and spend all their time with other lawyers so naturally they end up marrying lawyers. Finally, lots of lawyers switch sides so "mixed" couples can come about that way.

There's really no ethical issue and if there is it's only on the prosecution side. Accused people have a right to have their counsel of choice. So in the very unlikely event that a prosecutor gets assigned a case that their spouse/partner is dealing with they just step aside and have another prosecutor deal with it.

So Matt dating a DA is actually a realistic detail. Which was nice because, generally speaking, most details dealing with Matt as a lawyer that have been in the comic/movie/tv show over the years have been laughably inaccurate.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about sugarcoating the ethical issues. Certainly, prosecutors and defense attorneys often socialize together and are friends, but when they're dating it makes things more complicated. I think Kirsten can solve the issue in cases she's not personally prosecuting by making sure she's completely kept out of the loop (what they call a Chinese Wall in legal terms). If she's prosecuting, Matt can't handle the case, though.

Of course, Matt wasn't involved in a professional capacity on quite a number of cases, so I'm not sure how that changes things.

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil and Elektra made Marvel’s Top Ten Couples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8zpgfwJ7k

According to the video, the couples were ranked by Marvel.com’s editorial and social teams on their overall influence and importance.

Marvel's Top Ten Couples:
10. Agent 13 & Captain America
9. Daredevil & Elektra
8. Black Panther & Storm
7. Cyclops & Phoenix
6. Kitty Pryde & Colossus
5. Black Widow & Winter Soldier
4. Wiccan & Hulking
3. Jessica Jones & Luke Cage
2. Spider-Man & Mary Jane Watson
1. Reed & Susan Richards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: