Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #15 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #15?
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #15 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #15 by Soule, Sudzuka and Milla ships January 11th and here's a preview (cover by Dan Panosian):

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-015

Please use this thread to discuss the issue when it ships!

There are also variant covers by Lee Bermejo, Afu Chan and Neal Adams.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a pretty good issue, but also confusing when it didn't need to be.

First off, while the cover art by Dan Panosian is nice, the #1 in the upper left hand corner confuses me. Does this issue mark Daredevil's official entry into the new NOW age? I find these era's that Marvel divides it's history into absolute nonsense. This issue acknowledges events from Volume 1, Volume 2, Mark Waid's issues and Dark Arts. How is this a new jumping on point?

The other confusing thing are the time stamps that appear on the upper left corner of certain pages. "Day Two." "Day One." Day Three." Matt goes to a villain bar on Day Two, wearing a fake beard, since he was clean shaven one day before. We see events take place without Matt on Day Three, but then we cut to Matt walking around the streets with the beard, and there is no time stamp. Is it Day Three? Then we cut to Day Four, and Daredevil has no beard. There is a new scene, and then we cut to Matt entering the church he saw in his previous beard scene, but again, no date stamp. By now it was obvious to me that all the beard scenes take place on Day Two.

Now, it's obvious that Matt is traumatized by what Muse did to Blindspot. However, he has agreed to fund this highly expensive procedure so Sam can have cybernetic eyes. How much money does Matt have these days? All the money from the autobiography went to fund Foggy's cancer treatment. Nelson and Murdock is no more. Working for the public can't pay as well as being a being a highly regarded lawyer with your own private practice, and it doesn't seem like he's been doing that good a job for his new employers.

So I don't know where Matt is getting the money for Sam's treatment, as well as the money he's paying Freddy Thick.

What I do like about this issue is Matt's mood. He's lost, and I get it. He doesn't know to whom to turn. Because of the choice he made before Volume 5 started, he can't turn to any of his old friends for guidance. In a way, I see his decision to put a hit out on Daredevil as a way to punish himself for putting Blindspot in harm's way.

I don't know what the rest of you think of this Marvel-wide story with the terrigen cloud. A lot of people hate it because of what it means to the X-Men. I have never been an X-Men fan, and Civil War 2 was a disaster (even though I thought "The Accused" was excellent). But I like the father and son in this issue, and I like that the father is in a position where he feels the need to do something he can't justify to himself. Of course, he's a new Inhuman. It makes sense that Soule is weaving Inhuman elements into Daredevil, and I don't mind. I don't always need Daredevil to feel so removed from the rest of the Marvel universe.

The cliffhanger is great. Without spoiling anything, if anyone doesn't understand how this cliffhanger is possible, I recommend reading the Elektra series written by Haden Blackman with art by Mike Del Mundo.

This is a strong opening for this latest arc called "The Seventh Day." I gave it a four, I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue, as well as finding out how Matt got everyone's memory of his secret identity erased (except for Foggy).
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, cool cover. I think I would have loved it if it had a bit higher of a production quality with a more metalic, reflective coating on the stained glass. I don't think it's necessary, of course, but it would have been cool.

Interesting set up with Matt putting out a hit on Daredevil. I think the pacing and the build up is well-handled. It's clear he wants to do this, but it's not immediately clear why. It's interspersed with Blindspot and his recovery. So much for the Inhumans helping, I guess. The fact that the Marvel universe offers these promises, but isn't going to help a poor illegal immigrant stings a bit. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of Blindspot, but what happened to him was still very senseless. It almost gives a sense that Daredevil might turn to corruption, but I don't think it's quite that.

The fight with the Brothers Grimm was kind of funny, have to say. Either I've gotten used to the colors or they've gotten far more vibrant. It's actually quite fun to look at. Each fight continued basically to set up the ending with the Inhuman father who wants to get the money to help his son. It's really quite sad, leading to tension, release, and then tension again.

I'll go Four and a Half Stars. I thought this set things up well, even with the motivations still being unclear. I thought the story hit the right emotional notes. I think we need to see where things go, but, for act one, it worked very well.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, I'll comment on other people's posts separately.

Dimetre wrote:

First off, while the cover art by Dan Panosian is nice, the #1 in the upper left hand corner confuses me. Does this issue mark Daredevil's official entry into the new NOW age? I find these era's that Marvel divides it's history into absolute nonsense. This issue acknowledges events from Volume 1, Volume 2, Mark Waid's issues and Dark Arts. How is this a new jumping on point?

Basically, it's the start of a new arc. They've done that for a lot. It's Daredevil #15 on the bottom of the page. It's sort of a compromise they've been doing. People hate constant relaunches, but there's no doubt they sell. This issue says "if you pick this up, you won't have to be confused about what happened last arc."

Quote:
The other confusing thing are the time stamps that appear on the upper left corner of certain pages. "Day Two." "Day One." Day Three." Matt goes to a villain bar on Day Two, wearing a fake beard, since he was clean shaven one day before. We see events take place without Matt on Day Three, but then we cut to Matt walking around the streets with the beard, and there is no time stamp. Is it Day Three? Then we cut to Day Four, and Daredevil has no beard. There is a new scene, and then we cut to Matt entering the church he saw in his previous beard scene, but again, no date stamp. By now it was obvious to me that all the beard scenes take place on Day Two.

I actually hadn't noticed that. It's definitely oddly arranged. I don't think it has to be all on the same day since it's a fake beard, but two days at most. It's definitely told out of order. I wonder if they'll cut back to some of these scenes in the future (particularly the scene with the Priest).

It's also not entirely clear to me where the Seven Day thing is quite going just yet.

Quote:
Now, it's obvious that Matt is traumatized by what Muse did to Blindspot. However, he has agreed to fund this highly expensive procedure so Sam can have cybernetic eyes. How much money does Matt have these days? All the money from the autobiography went to fund Foggy's cancer treatment. Nelson and Murdock is no more. Working for the public can't pay as well as being a being a highly regarded lawyer with your own private practice, and it doesn't seem like he's been doing that good a job for his new employers.

Honestly, I don't think he has the money. I get the impression he's gambling on his future for some way to get it and the only money he actually has is what he's directing towards this thing (obviously, he's not planning on paying triple since, if he's dead, he's not paying anyone).

FWIW, criminal law doesn't pay a ton regardless. Particularly not Matt who doesn't regularly take high-paying clients (or corporations, which is what he'd have to do to make a lot of money). He certainly isn't going to make a lot as a baby ADA. But, once again, I don't think he was being truthful about how he was going to make that money.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this issue. Matt calling everyone idiots was pretty funny along with the return of Mike. There was so much great stuff, especially the scenes with Father Jordan. I’m really happy that Soule was willing to touch on Matt’s faith, and I hope we’ll get a flashback of some of the walk next issue. The only minor complaint I have is while I think Milla’s day-glo coloring is fantastic, I missed the halftone effect that we’ve seen previously.

Matt states in #8 that he’s broke, and Genesis says, “On the seventh day God had completed the work he had been doing. He rested on the seventh day after all the work he had been doing.” Therefore, given that it's day six, Matt has nothing else to give, and the initial seed money for the hit came from selling his old costumes and weapons to collectors, I’m stuck on how this plan is supposed to work. Did he take an insurance policy out on himself or a bet in Vegas or something? How else can he make money on increasingly dangerous villains coming after him when he’s tripled the take with no way to pay for it?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good issue. A bit of direction finally hit that needed to start earlier but it's here now.

I agree on the money thing. He isn't going to pay out for a hit because he isn't going to get killed and he says in the issue that he sold some old costumes and billy clubs on the collectors market to get the bag of cash. As far as paying for treatment for Blindspot there is a bunch of ways he could get money and he has time as Sam's wounds have to heal before anything else can be done anyway.

I don't think the villains have anything to do with making a profit. He's obviously after someone specific. Maybe he is simply going to steal from Bullseye the hired killer?
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On it's own, this was good, showing Matt's response and sense of responsibility to Sam and his injuries. The purpose behind this hit contract on DD remains cloudy though Matt's thoughts on the villains who stepped up were fun.

The Inhuman father-son dynamic was a welcome, street-level view. From what I understand (because I don't care to read any Inhuman titles), the father may have been able to move New Attilan and perhaps have access to their technology to help his son. Maybe he doesn't know or he refused for some reason, but seeing him use his new situation as a possible way to help his son and then become conflicted over what that decision would entail, was a nice contrast to Matt's own guilt over Sam.

Four stars.

Dimetre wrote:
The cliffhanger is great. Without spoiling anything, if anyone doesn't understand how this cliffhanger is possible, I recommend reading the Elektra series written by Haden Blackman with art by Mike Del Mundo.

That's nice to know. An editorial footnote highlighting that for unaware readers would have been better. Think of your readers, Marvel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: