Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bullseye #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Bullseye #1 Reply with quote

I thought this first issue was delightfully twisted.

A nice, concise recap of his status changes over the last couple years, I liked his characterization here, bored and restless, wanting the big job to find that big thrill. A dark sense of humor was seen throughout and the amount of violence and bloodshed were what you would expect in such a title featuring this character. How his initial assignment in the beginning leads to a new hound dogging his trail was nice too (it's good seeing other governmental law agencies that exist beyond just SHIELD still seek to perform their duties)

The backup story by Wolfman was good too, showing the lengths that Bullseye will endure to complete a job.

Although I've never been a fan of the Colin Farrell look for the character.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised how much I liked this issue. The art was the highlight - there's a lot of visual gags throughout and I think the tone is right. The only thing that surprised me is, given the Parental Advisory, I don't know why they didn't go full MA rating and uncensor the cursing too. Odd choice, although ultimately irrelevant.

I like the Marv Wolfman backup - particularly because Wolfman invented the character. I pretty much knew how it was going to end, though, with the "I'll have to kill you" part.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullseye #1 Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
How his initial assignment in the beginning leads to a new hound dogging his trail was nice too (it's good seeing other governmental law agencies that exist beyond just SHIELD still seek to perform their duties)

Agreed, and I’m curious to see if she really did kill Bullseye’s agent. It’ll be interesting to see who makes it out of this mini-series alive.

Mike Murdock wrote:
The only thing that surprised me is, given the Parental Advisory, I don't know why they didn't go full MA rating and uncensor the cursing too. Odd choice, although ultimately irrelevant.

The censoring takes me right out of the story, and I’d rather have someone get cut off mid-sentence or something instead. But that’s not this particular comic's fault.

I really enjoyed this issue, and I thought both stories were a nice contrast to each other as Bullseye was an over the top improv showman in the first and a secretive driven planner in the backup. He’s a very versatile killer. Nice fluid art and coloring by Sanna and Mrva and Morgan and Martin too. I even liked the recap page background with the throwing implements and playing cards.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Censoring depends on the type of story. I'm fine with it for the most part (although I think it helps if I can't quite be certain what words are supposed to be there). Bendis's Daredevil felt too forced to me, for example. It just seemed unnecessary if they were having an advisory anyway.

Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it!! I like the fact that they keep his continuity intact, even if nobody read it in the (short lived) Elektra comic. The think is that I don't want to read a story of him being a hero at all, i hope the tone of the comic doesn't change at all!
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred Marv Wolfman's story to Ed Brisson's main feature. My problem is that Bullseye is a great antagonist, but no protagonist has shown up in this issue. Maybe it will Joy, but her character was awkwardly handled this issue. She lost her husband, but she seemed to be all business until we saw her shed a tear almost two pages later.

The carnage Bullseye wreaks from the upper floor with the paper clips is horrific, and it seems to play out very coldly, with the resulting deaths having no impact on the narrative. That just leaves me numb.

So, this appears to be a dark crime comic, perhaps along the lines of those produced by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, and I love those. However, the main character in Kill Or Be Killed is relatable, and readers tend to cling to that shred of hope that maybe he'll be redeemed, or somehow escape this life. Bullseye doesn't offer that hope. He's irredeemable, and he likes this life. He's an antagonist, and if you're not a sociopath he's not relatable. Hopefully Joy will turn into the hero and get more panel time. However, there wasn't enough here to make me want to pick up the next issue.

Also, can writers stop with the Godfather references when they bring up the Kingpin? His criminal operation isn't a "family." Fisk is unique in that he runs the gangs with mega-corporate efficiency. He is nothing like Vito or Michael Corleone.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone catch issue two? I didn't like it as much as the first one (some of the whimsy was missing and, as horribly unlikable as the villain is, Bullseye is just as bad). However, if you're an Ann Nocenti fan, there are two of her characters that seem like they'll play an important role.

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Anyone catch issue two? I didn't like it as much as the first one (some of the whimsy was missing and, as horribly unlikable as the villain is, Bullseye is just as bad).

Yes, and I agree with your assessment that it wasn't as good, but for me it was the other way around with Bullseye and the villain. I don’t mind Bullseye being unlikable since that’s what I expect from him, and I enjoyed the last two pages at the motel. Yet Teodor is banally evil except for the joke he made about the telenovela when I was hoping he’d be more compelling.

Mike Murdock wrote:
However, if you're an Ann Nocenti fan, there are two of her characters that seem like they'll play an important role.

Brisson mentioned in an interview that he’s a Nocenti fan, so that’s why he’s using them.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up issue #1, didn't like it that much, and decided I wouldn't pick up #2. You just had to mention Nocenti. I loved her run.... that alone may make me go back and give it another look.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed issue #3 much more than the last issue. Considering my disappointment with Teodor not having more of a personality, I found Bullseye flippantly making fun of him and not taking him seriously hilarious. The SUV chase was well executed, and I did not see the twist at the end coming. Sanna’s kinetic art really worked well also, especially on the last page with Fabian standing over Bullseye.

Now the last two issues of this mini-series are going to be really interesting. Will Joy, Bullet, and Shotgun have to team up with Bullseye to escape Teodor’s compound? Or is Bullseye going to be the only one who makes it out alive?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to this one.

This issue was a lot of fun. It's either this or the first one that's my favorite so far. There's just good kinetic violence from beginning to end. The highlight remains the Nocenti characters. They're very much written true to form. Shotgun is just selfish. Bullet on the other hand is much more noble. I got choked up when I found out why he wanted to take this job. I hope things work out well for him. I literally don't care who else dies as long as Bullet and Bullseye make it out alive.

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
This issue was a lot of fun. It's either this or the first one that's my favorite so far. There's just good kinetic violence from beginning to end.

If Marvel does another Bullseye mini in the future, this one provides a nice template to follow.

Mike Murdock wrote:
The highlight remains the Nocenti characters. They're very much written true to form. Shotgun is just selfish. Bullet on the other hand is much more noble. I got choked up when I found out why he wanted to take this job. I hope things work out well for him. I literally don't care who else dies as long as Bullet and Bullseye make it out alive.

It would be senseless to off Bullseye again considering everything he’s gone through recently to make it back to where he is now, and I think Bullet and Shotgun might make it too. Joy is more problematic as she’s a little too revenge focused unless her FBI training or her husband’s memory jars her out of it.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daredevil and Kingpin shoutouts in the fourth issue make me wonder just how well known are all the superheroes and supervillains in the Marvel universe. Bullet holding the tiger was amazing and unexpected. Bullseye himself was very funny in this issue, and I liked how he even got personal admitting that killing his father was liberating. Joy’s interplay with him was also really well done. Bullseye is correct that killing him is not going to make anything better for her because he never cared in the first place. Is it bad that I want S.H.I.E.L.D. to save everyone in the final issue?

In addition, Sanna and Mrva did a great job drawing and coloring the Electroblade scenes; the sound effects and blue and white really made those scenes pop with how painful that would be.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue five was a good, impactful ending to this mini between Teodor’s end and the ship escape, so Brisson, Sanna, and Mrva should be proud. I’m happy that Bullseye, Joy, Bullet, and Shotgun made it out alive. Bullseye dealt with Fabian in an imaginative way, and his last two lines were chillingly perfect. I’m glad this story didn’t try to excuse his actions, and I wonder when he’ll turn up next.

The only thing that wasn’t wrapped up was Joy’s hunt for Bullseye, so if there’s ever a sequel to this story, she needs to show up. She can bring The Punisher along and tell Bullseye she took his dating advice.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a good ending (although I think Bullseye is a hard character to sustain). To me, her story was wrapped up because the ineffectual attempt is the point. Obviously, this wasn't going to be a story where she kills Bullseye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: