Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #16 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #16?
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Nah, "Draco Draconis" is third declination. Draconum is genitive plural. Accusative plural would be "Dracones". So it's correct. It means "Order of the Dragons".

I stand corrected. Thanks. Smile
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciurid wrote:
Sam seems to have as much self-preservation instinct as Matt does. I just reread all of Soule's run, and Sam gets progressively more banged up. Not sure where he's going with it.

Maybe that Sam needs Matt even after everything that’s happened? Unless they have a change of heart due to his injury, Sam’s mom and sister aren’t good people as shown so far. His mom wanted Sam to move up in Tenfinger’s church like she did, which would have required murdering Billy Li and Matt as Tenfingers ordered him to, and Hannah has no problem with Sam working long hours to support them while she spends her time clubbing and eating his food.
Rand
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHORT VERSION

Worst-case interpretation of this issue: The plot doesn't make sense. End of story.

Best-case interpretation of this issue: Let's all delude ourselves into believing that the plot does make sense. Even if we succeed -- SPOILER! (for a 23-year-old comic) -- we're talking about a plot that rips off the last big scene of MWF.

LONG VERSION

Page 2: We're explicitly told that Bullseye is 500 yards -- i.e., more than four football fields -- away.

Pages 3-4: Bullseye fires, and we get an overhead view of just how incredibly long a shot that really is.

Page 8: The sniper round looks like it's about four meters away from Matt in panel 2, then about one meter away in panel 3. Matt's hand is still at waist height in panel 2, then about chest height in panel 3.

(We may not be able to "trust" the art, but that's what the art is showing us.)

Page 14: The sniper round -- inexplicably -- looks like it's somehow back to being about four meters away. Matt's hand is still hovering around chest height.

(Again, we may not be able to "trust" the art, but that's what it's showing us.)

Page 16: Matt deflects the round. This is simply not believable.

At least in Man Without Fear, Matt was deflecting small-arms fire. I mean, that didn't make all that much sense either, but at least it was more believable. (Not to mention that MWF was never intended to be a canonical story.)

Page 16 (continued): Matt casts off his baton towards Bullseye.

[It's worth pausing here to remind ourselves that Matt's powers include neither superhuman strength nor superhuman speed; he's just an athletic guy, albeit one with extensive training.]

Page 17: Matt has -- evidently -- baton-swung his away across more than four football fields to dropkick Bullseye in the face. Bullseye is so caught off-guard by this that he hasn't even had time to set his rifle down in order to defend himself!

(Let's set aside the fact that we have no idea what Matt was baton-swinging from; focus on the speed.)

Page 18: Bullseye has been beaten seemingly unconscious.

Page 19: Matt apparently took some serum off of Bullseye after beating him half to death. Are we meant to believe that Bullseye carries a vial around with him just for fun? Or are we instead meant to believe that Matt patiently waited for Bullseye to regain consciousness, in order to -- I don't know -- threaten to beat him unconscious again unless he told Matt where to obtain said vial? (Neither option makes much sense.)

POST-SCRIPT

This is not intended as a full review of #16. There were several things I did like about this issue, as well as several more that I didn't; I've ignored all of that to focus on the main plot.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand wrote:
Page 16: Matt deflects the round. This is simply not believable.

Daredevil thinks, “And it’s then that I realize my hand was moving before Bullseye even pulled the trigger,” so it’s muscle memory plus his twitch reflexes. Matt knows that Bullseye wants to headshot him, so he’s already anticipating what is going to happen before it does. IMHO the sequence of events is not Bullseye gets ready to shoot, Bullseye fires his sniper rifle, Matt reacts, and Matt deflects the round. It’s Matt expects the shot, Bullseye gets ready to shoot, Matt reacts, Bullseye fires his sniper rifle, and Matt deflects the round.

Rand wrote:
Page 17: Matt has -- evidently -- baton-swung his away across more than four football fields to dropkick Bullseye in the face. Bullseye is so caught off-guard by this that he hasn't even had time to set his rifle down in order to defend himself!

Bullseye was surprised long enough for Matt to get over there, however long that was, which I agree couldn’t have been too long considering Bullseye’s superb skills.

I also agree that Matt is just an athletic guy without superstrength or superspeed, so how does Matt do extraordinary things like this? Personally, I think he has to have a superhuman nervous system as a secondary byproduct of his accident in order for him to process all the information his supersenses take in, which Waid supported in his Latveria story with the whole restarting his eyes/creating a new sense development. It wasn’t a big deal to Matt to go over there; his internal monologue doesn’t even talk about closing the 500 yard gap.

Rand wrote:
Page 19: Matt apparently took some serum off of Bullseye after beating him half to death. Are we meant to believe that Bullseye carries a vial around with him just for fun? Or are we instead meant to believe that Matt patiently waited for Bullseye to regain consciousness, in order to -- I don't know -- threaten to beat him unconscious again unless he told Matt where to obtain said vial? (Neither option makes much sense.)

I like Ikari, yet I had serious problems with his origin (even within a fictional comic book world, I have a hard time believing they’d be able to recreate the exact radioactive chemicals and environmental conditions for Matt’s accident; similarly, sure, exactly, no IMHO), but I put that on Waid rather than Soule, so given the previous Ikari story, yes, I buy either Bullseye is arrogant enough to have a clear advantage on him that he’d choose not to use anyway or Matt would provide sufficient pain threshold incentive for Bullseye to cough up his last vial stash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: