Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

This comic arrived in the mail today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: This comic arrived in the mail today! Reply with quote

I'd like to share a very special comic (sorry about the bad camera).

This is Daredevil #341. What's special about it? Absolutely nothing. I don't even have a clue what the plot is or who wrote it. However, it happens to be the last issue to collect every issue in Volume One of Daredevil!

A couple of caveats:
1. By every issue, I mean every issue in some format - it's a mix of individual issues, Trade Paperback, and the black and white print Essential Daredevils.
2. I'm not counting Annuals. If they're in a TPB, great. If not, I probably don't have it.
3. Full disclosure: I totally meant to brag how I now got every issue of Daredevil. Then I remembered Playing to the Camera isn't collected. I have to get that before I get full bragging rights.

Still, I'm pretty proud at what I got (more photos below):

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive.

Since you have different formats though, what's the earliest individual issue number you own?

I've always wondered how cheap (or expensive) it would be to gather a full run of DD Vol. 1. I've heard that building a Thor run is rather inexpensive, nowhere near what it may cost for say, FF or Amazing Spider-Man.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Daredevil #146. It's actually one of the earlier comics I bought too. I had finished reading Frank Miller's original run and the final issue references a fight between Bullseye and Daredevil on television. I got it in my head that this was some big defining moment in Daredevil's history and I absolutely had to own the issue. I actually didn't even know the main websites to buy back issues from so I had to find it on eBay.

As much as I prefer the convenience of trades, there's something special about actually having an old comic in your hands. Even though I didn't grow up in that era, there's almost a sense of going back in time and being a little kid. Plus, it feels like a part of history that I have to be delicate with or it will crumble into dust.

kmcmanus2814
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome man congrats! I finished my set a couple weeks ago with the Stan Lee Omnibus (I have floppies from 42 up) so I can relate to your excitement. Now I'm thinking about doing a reread of the whole series in order, but I think it'll be a pretty ambitious effort... Congratulations again!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm technically doing that as well, although it's been going on for a very long time (usually, about two-three issues a week). I'm up to Marv Wolfman right now.

WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collection of Volume 1 is missing 13 issues (1 - 10, 16, 131, & 168). Through the Essential collection, I have collected 12 of the missing 13 with only 168 still needed. Still, I would love to have the entire run as I come from the generation of comic collectors where the single issue was the way we read comics. TPBs are nice to have but the single issue brings back childhood memories.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you don't have any of the Frank Miller collected runs?

WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. Haven't given it much thought about the completion of Volume 1 until this thread but seeing as how 168 is the only issue I need to complete the entire run of Daredevil (Volumes 1 - 5), I will look into picking it up.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably fewer than a dozen issues in volume 1 I know by heart by issue number. #168 is at the top of that list because it's that famous/important. I don't know how you managed to get everything else first, but that comes close to saving the best for last.

WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just now gone back into picking up the TPBs for Volume 1. Other than the Miller collections, is there another TPB that contains 168?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of, although there are two different collections of Miller's work.

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: This comic arrived in the mail today! Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
This is Daredevil #341. What's special about it? Absolutely nothing. I don't even have a clue what the plot is or who wrote it. However, it happens to be the last issue to collect every issue in Volume One of Daredevil!

Congratulations, Mike! Well done.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, quite a collection there.

I've got all the single issues of Vol 1 and am happily collecting any relevant Omnibus and Masterworks collections of 'Ye Olde DD' stuff. Lovely reproduction in these editions, and for one brief moment I was actually toying with the idea of selling off my individual issues.

Right now...just can't bring myself to do it. Yes, they're printed on cheap paper and one or two look a bit worse for wear. Yes they're full of advertisements for cheap products I'd never want. But...as someone said earlier, as part of a generation of readers brought up on single issues ( I well remember the time having to wait two months between DD issues and even then here in the UK distribution was poor and it wasn't a cast iron certainty I'd find any new issue!) ...there's just something about them. Probably a lot to do with nostalgia, the times they're from, the places I bought each issue, etc. They're artefacts from another world almost.

I'll probably end up passing them onto my kids who, who although big fans of some of the Marvel movies, have no real affinity with the character and will probably decide to cash in. That's fine, as the complete collection sold together ought to be worth a few pennies by now.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the collection! I have been trying to do this for years, have all the single issues back to #171, and a few before that (including #168). Thinking that I will have to do the really expensive ones by collections, but who knows. There is a coin / sports card show in my town, and one of the coin guys always brings a few boxes of comics, and I usually pick one up each month rather cheaply.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic but I said earlier that Daredevil #146 was the first individual issue I bought. I can now say that it's the first issue that I read previously that I know have read while reading all of Daredevil in order. I also read it as part of the Book Club. So this is the third time I've read this story.

Two thoughts come to mind with the benefit of context:

1. Jim Shooter kind of sucks as a writer. In particular, I noticed that he went back to the trope of "I can't be with someone who would just pity me." It's been years since Karen Page and I thought we put that behind us, so it was painful to see it here.

2. I can see why Jim Shooter would be valued as an editor. Marv Wolfman introduced some interesting story ideas (the kidnapping of Debbie, Heather Glenn's father being corrupt, etc.) and then promptly forgot to address them in any way. With Jim Shooter on board, there's a sense of him going "enough of this crap, I'm cleaning this up." This is the first time I felt intentional forward momentum on a plot since maybe Gerry Conway was on the book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: