Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

This comic arrived in the mail today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to disagree about Shooter. Whilst not having much time for him as a writer per se, his efforts on this particular title, few though they were, remain a real highlight of the issues pre-Miller.

The issues themselves, especially the handful with art by Kane and Janson, almost read like pre-Miller Miller. The title has a gritty 'street-level' feel to it in parts, and his depiction of the likes of Bullseye and Killgrave were easily the best up to that point.

I know that Miller gives Shooter a lot of credit for helping him find his feet with the characters and the book as a whole, not just from the relatively new lofty Editor In Chief role but deeper discussions about his own time on the book and Daredevil / Matt's personality and methods.

I always found #146 to be a fairly solid issue, even if #147 and #148 are much superior.

Wolfman's run on the title was great, but even by his own admission he begins to lose its way quickly following the Jester trilogy. Shooters arrival was much welcome and too short-lived (even if I wouldn't change a single thing about what followed from MacKenzie or Miller.)
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two updates. One, I went ahead and ordered Playing to the Camera to complete my collection (with possible exceptions of Annuals). Second, my readthrough of Daredevil in publication order has reached a milestone. I've re-read issue #158, meaning I've officially reached the Frank Miller era of Daredevil. Also, I read #156, which marks the last pre-Miller issue that I've read for the first time (before I knew where else to get comics, I ordered them off of eBay and one of the 140 issues I bought came with 157 for free). And I have to say, what a terrible issue it is. The best part is it's cover. But it starts a long history of Daredevil fighting other versions of himself - particularly with the yellow uniform.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
And I have to say, what a terrible issue it is. The best part is it's cover.

I agree the cover is quite striking and it's unfortunate that #156 itself is a below par issue. it is, however, a move in the right direction from what came immediately before. Colan makes a quick return after the severe jolt of seeing Frank Robbins work on the title in #155.

Robbins himself was a respected comic book artist, and not a particularly bad one at that in my opinion. I remember being familiar with his work through reading UK reprints of Roy Thomas' 'The Invaders' where I thought his style kind of suited the retro-gun-ho WWII heroics of that particular title.

I wasn't prepared for the shock to the system that presented itself with opening #155 which to this day remains, for me, one of the worst issues put out under the banner of the title. His style just did not suit this book and the whole thing just looked a mess, memorable if only for the introduction of Becky Blake. #156 certainly wasn't anything to shout about itself, but at least it saw Colan back on the art.

The real frustrating thing about reading the book then was the bi-monthly schedule. A bad issue or two meant months between anything of real quality or substance.

Still, I've always had a soft spot for #157, and with #158 and beyond...well, the rest is history.

Last edited by Pete on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against 157. Death Stalker is a very cool villain. I have to imagine it was really cool seeing the transition at the time. I kind of want to buy the original Frank Miller issues for the letters page alone (I want them anyway, but price is a factor). I saw at the bottom of the title page that this book was bi-monthly. I knew it from reports about the book, but it's stark seeing it on the page.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: