Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #19 Previews, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #19?
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #19 Previews, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #19 by Charles Soule, guest artist Marc Laming and colour artists Miroslav Mrva and Matt Milla, ships April 19th. Covers by Dan Panosian and Dan Mora.

Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-019

Please use this thread for all comments and reviews when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping that by the end of this issue everything will be explained.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ SPOILER ALERT:

No, not yet. Maybe next time. We're doubleshipping for some reason, so the story progresses much faster.

My thoughts:

There's a wonderful tradition of Daredevil dealing with other versions of himself with J.M. DeMatteis, Roger McKenzie, and metaphorically other times like with my namesake, Mike Murdock. The scenes in the bar with the different versions of the character fighting themselves was absolutely the highlight. I also like some of the tension with Matt under the control of the Purple Man, although it's undercut a bit by being a flashback. What lines Daredevil might cross are fascinating. My one complaint is that his recovery was without much explanation. It sort of just happened. At least, I was unclear on that.

Four and a Half Stars, though. There was a lot I loved about this.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man have I enjoyed "grim and gritty MWOF-Matt" beating up on "pretty-boy metrosexual Waid-Matt".

That said, this was an excellent issue. Very exciting and powerful. The whole idea of Matt's most dreaded thing to do would be "doing nothing in the face of evil happening" is brilliant. As was the "been there done that" as he was about to have a girlfriend killed.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was such an enjoyable read. I really enjoyed Marc Laming's art, the beautiful colours provided by Miroslav Mrva and Matt Milla, and Charles Soule is so good at writing Killgrave. I'm not sure anyone understands this villain more.

Each version of Matt had a unique voice. I loved how "Man Without Fear" Matt spoke in Milleresque descriptions. I actually smiled when Chichester Daredevil said the word "extreme." I would have loved to have heard what classic red-suit Daredevil's voice would have been in that bar, but I loved what we were given.

I agree, however, with Mike Murdock. The way Matt pulls himself out of Killgrave's spell doesn't feel honest. I think Soule has a point about Matt not knowing who he really is. As much as I enjoyed Mark Waid's time on the title, I never thought Matt was addressing his depression as much as he was running away from it. (To Waid's credit, Matt admitted as much during the run.) Still, would Matt's epiphany pull him out of the spell, given how amped up Killgrave's power was? I don't think so.

Still, this issue gave me so many reasons to smile. Is Soule suggesting that the chaos generated by Killgrave is the cause of Civil War 2? I so want that to be true. I also like the big purple jewel in the laboratory, which I believe to be a nod to Emporor Doom.

I truly wanted this issue to tell me how Matt restored his secret identity, and I resent how this is being dragged out, but I can't deny how good this issue is. I gave it a 4 out of 5.
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
^ SPOILER ALERT:

My one complaint is that his recovery was without much explanation. It sort of just happened. At least, I was unclear on that.

My take on it was that he figured out the worst thing he could do, and to figure that out, he had to know himself with perfect clarity, which was previously established as the only way to throw off Purple Man's mind control.

I love, with all my heart, Man without Fear Daredevil taking umbrage with Waid's "I am Daredevil" Daredevil. The "EXTREME" line made me smile, too. The juxtaposition of the various iterations of the character was pretty perfect.

The use of the ZNN news broadcast as some tiny corner of Matt's mind screaming at him was clever, too.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it. My favorite single issue of this run since #8. Soule just gets Daredevil, Mrva and Milla’s colors were wonderful using the soft pastels for the bar lighting, and Laming’s art was stunning with the clean yet detailed lines for Matt and everything else. If the run needs another additional artist in the future, I hope we see Laming again. Just phenomenal work.

Francesco wrote:
The whole idea of Matt's most dreaded thing to do would be "doing nothing in the face of evil happening" is brilliant.

I agree as it’s a great summation of the character and brings to mind Burke’s notable quote that “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Mike Murdock wrote:
My one complaint is that his recovery was without much explanation. It sort of just happened. At least, I was unclear on that.

Dimetre wrote:
I agree, however, with Mike Murdock. The way Matt pulls himself out of Killgrave's spell doesn't feel honest. I think Soule has a point about Matt not knowing who he really is. As much as I enjoyed Mark Waid's time on the title, I never thought Matt was addressing his depression as much as he was running away from it. (To Waid's credit, Matt admitted as much during the run.) Still, would Matt's epiphany pull him out of the spell, given how amped up Killgrave's power was? I don't think so.

Sciurid wrote:
My take on it was that he figured out the worst thing he could do, and to figure that out, he had to know himself with perfect clarity, which was previously established as the only way to throw off Purple Man's mind control.

My interpretation was Matt’s revelation that he is fundamentally a good man and that’s why he’s a superhero isn’t the only reason he woke up. His supersenses were trying to snap him out of it this entire time.

Sciurid wrote:
The use of the ZNN news broadcast as some tiny corner of Matt's mind screaming at him was clever, too.

Exactly. Throughout the story the TV ticker says “Zebediah Killgrave a.k.a. The Purple Man in total control of Daredevil”, “Wake up, Matt. Wake up!”, “This isn’t real, Matt.” and “Running out of time!” It’s why Zebediah tells Matt not to worry about the TV on page 4. So Matt’s supersenses kept telling him he can escape; he just had to realize he could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: