Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #24 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #24?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #24 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #24 by Soule, Morgan and Milla ships July 19th and here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-024

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Supreme" story continues, and we have another issue from artist Alec Morgan, who makes me yearn for more Sudzuka art. I'm not claiming to be able to draw, but Morgan is a real step down.

There are some huge developments happening off panel throughout this storyline. We find out that Matt lost an appeal 4-3, but we're not shown it. That is a mind-boggling storytelling choice. We have a villain called Legal, but we haven't been allowed to see him do his thing. Soule is a writer who knows the law. Wouldn't that mean he would be excellent at showing us courtroom drama? Why doesn't he?

The cover shows a beautiful David Lopez image of Tombstone standing over a fallen Daredevil. Inside the issue, that doesn't amount to much. I don't believe for one second that dumping beer on a newspaper and throwing it on a hot dog cooker would generate enough smoke to fill a tavern, let alone cause the flames Morgan draws. I also don't understand why Matt would turn up in his own radar point of view. Don't draw Daredevil in his own radar image. That makes no sense. The Tombstone fight was just to fill out the action quota for the issue.

The reason to read this issue is for the Matt and Foggy friendship that has been on hold for all of Volume 5. I have mixed feelings about it. On the positive side, I'm happy Foggy accepted Matt's apology. I'm happy Matt apologized. I liked the way the apology was played out. I'm happy that their legal goals are still one and the same.

On the down side, I hate the way Morgan draws Foggy. I find it hard to believe this is Matt's first attempt at apologizing to Foggy. It's possible that's true. Maybe Matt's first instinct is to defend himself. Also problematic is that Soule wrote before that the reason Foggy is angry is because Matt left him as the only person who knows Matt is Daredevil. That isn't brought up in this issue. If Foggy is truly angry about that, he's completely overlooking that fact to help Matt with a cause he thinks is "dumb." Now, Alina is in danger.

I gave this issue a three, but if I can I might lower it to a two. I don't want Morgan to draw another issue, and I want "Supreme" to have some well-written courtroom drama. I want Matt and Foggy to deal with their issues. I'll continue to follow this story and see where it's going.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Soule is a writer who knows the law. Wouldn't that mean he would be excellent at showing us courtroom drama? Why doesn't he?

Not trying to bash Soule because to each his own but I get the impression that he isn't really much of Courtroom lawyer. His website and profile suggests he's more of a solicitor than a barrister. Which would mean he doesn't have a great deal of experience with Courtroom drama.

That probably explains why there's so little of it in the comic.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ He's an immigration attorney. Much of that is in gathering evidence and presenting arguments and applications (as well as filling out forms), but far less in trial work. Regardless, I would argue it also is just that his interests are away from trial work. That being said, I believe he did show a full blown trial in She-Hulk when it was Jennifer Walters vs. Matt Murdock. However, an appeal is not as dramatic as people think it is and probably doesn't make for compelling comics.

My thoughts:
This issue has a pretty abrupt beginning. Last time, they were arguing (iirc) in the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court (the middle level). Here, we find out Matt lost at the highest court in New York. Now this was probably a good call because we don't really want to see the wrangling at the appellate levels (which are generally full of being boring and long waits). But it puts Matt in a longshot position for the US Supreme Court (which would, btw, decide nationally whether superheroes can testify anonymously).

Unfortunately, the art in this issue is terrible. I frankly didn't even recognize Foggy. It wasn't good last issue, but there's less consequence to not recognizing Tombstone than Foggy. The conversation between Matt and Foggy is nice, but so sad. The idea that Foggy is happier now is frankly very plausible, but it kind of sucks because I love their relationship.

The ending was nice. Even if Matt loses this case, if it ends up being a redeeming story about the power of friendship between the two characters, I would enjoy it a lot. Complete side note: you want to moot a case to prevent superheroes from testifying? Don't kill the lawyer, kill the defendant. If Sluginsky is dead, it wouldn't matter whether or not a superhero is allowed to testify against him and the previous lower court order would either stand or the case would be vacated entirely. Either way, it would be back to square one for Matt Murdock.

Three and a Half Stars. Nothing against Soule's writing here. The conversation between Matt and Foggy was wonderful. But this art just wasn't good at all.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue was average, I can't give it more than 3 stars because of the art.
As for the fact that Matt's defeat in court was shown off panel, I don't think it was a problem. In fact, the way I see it it was a good choice. It wouldn't have added anything to the story. I'd take a fight vs Tombstone where Matt has to use his wits over some boring legal drama anyday.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
The issue was average, I can't give it more than 3 stars because of the art.
As for the fact that Matt's defeat in court was shown off panel, I don't think it was a problem. In fact, the way I see it it was a good choice. It wouldn't have added anything to the story. I'd take a fight vs Tombstone where Matt has to use his wits over some boring legal drama anyday.

I would agree with you if the fight with Tombstone was of any consequence. Tombstone doesn't seem to have Matt shaking in his boots, and he beats him with a broken pool cue and weiner smoke. It added the requisite action per issue, and nothing more. This story is about Matt's legal quest, and we're being told about it rather than being shown it. That's a bad storytelling choice in every way.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does actually mirror real experience to a degree, fwiw. Oral arguments might be the most visible part of an appeal, but they're often the least important. The process usually is: Write a brief, wait for oral arguments, argue, wait and see what happened. You'll find out you lost in an email months after the fact. I guess this captures the anti-climax of the whole thing.

That being said, the typical idea would be to use creative licsense to highlight the exciting parts.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
That being said, the typical idea would be to use creative licsense to highlight the exciting parts.

I think that's what a writer has to do, otherwise how would it be entertaining for the reader? We know this is fiction, so we're willing to suspend our disbelief. If there was a super-hero who was also president of the condo board, I would expect some creative license to add some drama to the condo board meetings. Otherwise, why are we reading about them?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
It added the requisite action per issue, and nothing more.

Good. Panels well spent in this sense, the way I see it.

Dimetre wrote:
This story is about Matt's legal quest, and we're being told about it rather than being shown it. That's a bad storytelling choice in every way.

Oh please. It's the legal quest, all right, but we were shown all we needed to know. Matt lost and his opponent in court is formidable. If I needed legal drama I would watch reruns of The Practice.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, the Practice was an awesome show.

Maltus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i´m the only one person who dosn´t dislike Morgan art.

Not my favourite either, not anatomycally perfect..but his storytellyng is refreshing, the way he place the camera, the secuency of the panels...etc. I´m tired of artists who draw every one like model posing, who draw perfect looking persons... but dont know how to tell a story.

Sorry for my english.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maltus wrote:
Maybe i´m the only one person who dosn´t dislike Morgan art.

Not my favourite either, not anatomycally perfect..but his storytellyng is refreshing, the way he place the camera, the secuency of the panels...etc. I´m tired of artists who draw every one like model posing, who draw perfect looking persons... but dont know how to tell a story.

Sorry for my english.

That's pretty good for someone who doesn't have English as their first language.

I think my biggest problem with Morgan's art is that the characters are off-model. It's my understanding that the big two publishers have models for their top characters. When the Kingpin appears in a comic drawn by Samnee or Sudzuka, you immediately recognize him to be the Kingpin. The issue before this one opened with Fisk hitting a punching bag, but it took me a page to realize it was him, and that's a big problem. Morgan didn't adhere to the character model. People had the same problem this issue when he drew Foggy Nelson. It's a distraction that takes you out of the story.

But, as they say, one man's meat is another man's murder. It's good that you're finding something to enjoy in Morgan's art.

I just hope he doesn't draw Daredevil inside his own radar point-of-view panel again.

Last edited by Dimetre on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maltus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dimetre.

You are right on this: "I think my biggest problem with Morgan's art is that the character's are off-model."

But, i just was saying that Morgan has his specifics strengths (have you seen how naturals are his shirts?). No perfect art, but i prefer this than many others.

Take David Finch for example, is impressive, but i dont like the way he tell the storys, how he distribute panels, and how he place the cam. Also dont like how he draws clothes, his figures are rigids... He also has strengths, but they are others.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the issue. The Bugle headline was laugh out loud funny. I also liked the insulting article that went with it, and I liked even more that Matt just rolled with it. As for being his own worst enemy, eh, I don’t think he’s worse than any other superhero in that respect; they all hold themselves back in one way or another.

Maltus wrote:
But, i just was saying that Morgan has his specifics strengths (have you seen how naturals are his shirts?). No perfect art, but i prefer this than many others.

As do I. As I said last issue, I like Morgan’s backgrounds and sense of movement. I don’t like how his figures look two dimensional instead of three dimensional, but Garney’s back for #26-28, and then we’ll see what Legacy brings. Since Daredevil is double shipping again in October, if they need to add another artist to the art rotation, I nominate Laming as #19 was spectacular.

Dimetre wrote:
I just hope he doesn't draw Daredevil inside his own radar point-of-view panel again.

I think that was just an artistic choice, the same way sometimes people see themselves in flashbacks even though technically they shouldn’t since they should be from a first person point of view.

Dimetre wrote:
Also problematic is that Soule wrote before that the reason Foggy is angry is because Matt left him as the only person who knows Matt is Daredevil. That isn't brought up in this issue. If Foggy is truly angry about that, he's completely overlooking that fact to help Matt with a cause he thinks is "dumb." Now, Alina is in danger.

She’s at risk just by living in the Marvel Universe. If it’s not Secret Empire, it will be something else.

Dimetre wrote:
There are some huge developments happening off panel throughout this storyline. We find out that Matt lost an appeal 4-3, but we're not shown it. That is a mind-boggling storytelling choice. We have a villain called Legal, but we haven't been allowed to see him do his thing. Soule is a writer who knows the law. Wouldn't that mean he would be excellent at showing us courtroom drama? Why doesn't he?

I was surprised we skipped it, but I’m okay with it if Soule’s saving that for next issue. I’m hoping we get some of that here before the Supreme Court as it would be a nice finale to the arc. If we don’t, it’s a clear missed opportunity.

Mike Murdock wrote:
The conversation between Matt and Foggy is nice, but so sad. The idea that Foggy is happier now is frankly very plausible, but it kind of sucks because I love their relationship.

I think it’s completely accurate. I really enjoy their friendship, but this interaction was a perfect example of why Foggy also really annoys me half the time and why I’m fine with not seeing him every issue. It bothers me the way Foggy berates Matt and acts like Matt’s such a burden to him, so Matt feels terrible and has to apologize. Foggy thinks he’s justified calling out Matt’s bad behavior and therefore doesn’t realize he’s actually feeding into Matt’s guilt complex when he’s always the wronged party. It is selfish of Foggy to expect that Matt has to act the exact same way Foggy does. It’s like, Foggy, Matt’s a blind supersensing ninja. He’s never going to be happy with your staid boring life. The fact that you go to the same seedy bar so you can get free hot dogs six times a week sums up why you’re lucky Matt puts up with you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: