Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #595 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #595?
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #595 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

Marvel Legacy begins for DAREDEVIL as issue #595 by Soule, Landini and Milla ships November 8th.
Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-595

Please use this thread for all discussion!
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 from me as I thought this was a great start to the arc. Stefano Landini’s art is fantastic. It’s got the movement of Garney with the cleanness of Laming along with strong shading which makes sense with his background as an inker. Milla also did a great job setting the mood as he usually does with his coloring, and I’m happy to see we’re keeping the textured backgrounds. As for Matt, Foggy, and Fisk looking like their Netflix show counterparts, I wonder if it’s not artistic license but editorial edict as the same thing has happened to other characters. Then again, that didn’t extend to the Marvel Legacy primer pages at the end of the issue, so who knows. It’s a good thing Matt is blind so he can’t see how much he fluctuates between being a redhead and a brunette. While I’m not sure if Stick would let Matt wear a coat that warm in the cold, I thought Robbie Thompson and Rod Reis did a nice job explaining Matt and his world in three pages.

I’ve liked Hochberg since the beginning of Soule’s run, and I appreciate the intent of his advice from his experienced perspective to Matt since he doesn’t know he’s talking to Daredevil. I enjoy the incongruity of Matt being assigned to make a case against himself. But while I understand where Ellen is coming from, I can’t agree with her position. First, much like living in a flood plain or tornado alley or wildfire hotspot, superhero and/or supervillain activity is a known hazard in MU NY. If she can’t afford the extra insurance, then she can’t actually afford the car. Secondly, she’s looking at this backwards. The superheroes and villains only exist because ordinary people have had their lives ruined by crime. How many superheroes and villains got their start because they lost a loved one to violence? In the Marvel Universe, the government and society itself continuously fail to keep people safe because the police and military are corrupt and/or incompetent, the legal system lets criminals walk, prisons are revolving doors even for mass murderers, and quite a large section of the citizenry seem to think turning to a life of crime is a viable career path. If the superheroes are removed, then there will be more vigilantes like the Punisher. And if they go away, then it will be the supervillains throwing cars at each other with no one to stop them.

I could really feel Matt’s rising frustration at Fisk’s election throughout this issue and his sheer anger at the end. I also appreciated how Kingpin just wanted to gloat to Daredevil about the whole situation and was unconcerned about his exit as he’s got plenty of time and resources to track him down again. Finally, I didn’t have a problem with how Soule set up the logistics of their meeting or Matt’s escape. Not only was Matt distracted as he himself says, but he’s used to blindly (heh) rushing into danger to quickly get to someone calling for help before they can get hurt, not checking to see if there’s any threat to himself first. And the police not taking his billy club away from him is that incompetent policing that led Daredevil and Kingpin to this state of affairs in the first place.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:
5 from me as I thought this was a great start to the arc.

I liked it, but not as much as you.

First off, this issue had a mountain to climb. My suspension of disbelief is being tested by the idea of Wilson Fisk being elected mayor of New York. I know there is real life precident of questionable people being elected into public office (Oscar Goodman was elected as Mayor of Las Vegas, Marion Berry was re-elected as mayor of Chicago, Rob Ford in Toronto...), but Fisk has actually been convicted of crimes. He has failed to keep his hands clean. Denial and pivoting are only going to get you so far. I realize that the current American president is evidence that those two things will actually get you all the way, but someone with criminal convictions? His opponents must have really sucked.

I also liked Stefano Landini's art less than you. There are times when it impressed me, but there were other times when the lack of detail reminded me too much of Rob Haynes etch-a-sketch-esque art in Daredevil: Ninja. It also makes me a little uncomfortable when an artist traces photos of actors instead of doing their own thing. I hope someone got a copy of this to Vincent D'Onofrio.

I can understand where Ellen is coming from, but it's shocking that someone in the district attorney's office can't look outside their own circumstances. She is however right about one thing -- Matt had no business asking her how she voted.

Personally, when Matt asked himself, "Should I quit?" I answered back, "Hell yes!" Matt should refuse to do work that rolls back everything he did before. As he said, "Any firm in town would kill to have me on their masthead." I think he should talk to Foggy and bring back Nelson and Murdock. I bet Matt's going to get in touch with Foggy next issue somehow.

Throwing the billy club through the window seemed like a dumb thing to do for Matt. Also, taking a meeting with Hammerhead just to tell him to leave seemed like a dumb move for Wilson. Matt and Wilson are being written well otherwise, but I don't think they're being written to the peak of their intelligence, and that's kind of a shame. The confrontation scene is merely adequate instead of great.

I'm looking forward to reading on, to see if it draws me in more. I love the move back to original numbering, and I hope it lasts for a while. I gave this issue a three.[/b]
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue had a lot going for it, but I really don't feel the tension since Fisk doesn't know who Murdock is any longer. I think if their history was still intact this could have been huge. And yes, please bring back Nelson & Murdock. 3 stars for me.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always a fan of stories that feature Wilson Fisk's childhood (such as Parts of a Hole) so I appreciate this one quite a bit. I feel there's a subtle (not so subtle) allegory going on with Wilson Fisk's election, how he campaigned, and why people voted for him.

The status quo change is a subtle one, but a throwback - the city is going after superheroes, particularly that wallcrawling menace, uh, Daredevil? I do like how Matt is focused on what he wants to do, but finds that, in a government entity like a prosecutor's office, there are priorities. He can't freelance. I also like that we finally get some actual interaction with his co-workers. Ellen is someone negatively impacted by superhero crime fighting. It reminds me of a less popular story - Playing to the Camera, which has a premise of suing Daredevil for property damage caused in crime fighting.

In my "hey, Soule is a lawyer" moment, I like that he used the term "put out a shingle." It's a term I hear a lot, but I doubt non-lawyers hear it. Daredevil, however, makes the argument that something is entrapment when it clearly isn't. Maybe Matt does know better and he's trying to argue his way out. Who knows? I'm sure those who complain about the excuse of Daredevil missing things his senses should pick up should have problems, but I love the complete change in status quo and the power Fisk now possesses. It's quite scary.

Some of the more stylistic art stands out in this issue. In particular, the near full page splash of Daredevil crouched in the shadows and the one with DD swinging with his billy club making an interesting pattern. It's very cool to see him in red again.

I'm really enjoying the new status quo. Four and a Half Stars.

The Legacy Primer pages are cool. The story is obviously well-known and doesn't add anything new, but Rod Reis's art is quite cool. There's nice touches both to Chris Samnee and Alex Maleev in it that I like.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the art. Thought it was very crisp & clean.

I thought that the meeting between Fisk & Daredevil was too early in the story, kinda forced. I highly doubt that Matt would just blindly jump in to aid someone and not notice all the extra police on the roof, no matter how "distracted" he was. And Matt just producing another Billy Club in Fisk's office... kinda ridiculous. just seems to be a couple of things ignored just to move the story along.

But... I still gave it a 4! I like where the story is headed, I just think the storytelling was a little lazy just so they could get a meeting between Fisk & Matt, and have him escape. I can honestly say that I don't know what's going to happen at the end of this story.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, who ended up getting the Lenticular cover?

I've been praising my local comic shop for getting the Lenticular covers for all the Marvel Legacy books no questions asked (even in cases where I actually like the regular cover more). This week, they didn't have any - I suspect because they didn't sell enough to justify the extra volume.

I ended up ordering it online because, at this point, it feels like I might as well get all of them. But I do also really love the regular cover.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
jimdare
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great issue. Loved the scene in Mayor Fisk's office between him and Daredevil. Some excellent dialogue from Fisk here, I'm sure giving DD a sense of "cognitive dissonance" (if not us readers as well!). And that Sienkiewicz cover is, of course, gorgeous! I give this issue 4 out of 5!
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Sunni wrote:
5 from me as I thought this was a great start to the arc.

I liked it, but not as much as you.

First off, this issue had a mountain to climb. My suspension of disbelief is being tested by the idea of Wilson Fisk being elected mayor of New York. I know there is real life precident of questionable people being elected into public office (Oscar Goodman was elected as Mayor of Las Vegas, Marion Berry was re-elected as mayor of Chicago, Rob Ford in Toronto...), but Fisk has actually been convicted of crimes. He has failed to keep his hands clean. Denial and pivoting are only going to get you so far. I realize that the current American president is evidence that those two things will actually get you all the way, but someone with criminal convictions? His opponents must have really sucked.

Look up Buddy Cianci the longest serving mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, he got arrested for assaulting a man in his house (burning him with a cigarette) admitted it and resigned, but he still won a third term as mayor.

Frankly when it comes to politics, truth is stranger then fiction, my bar is pretty low when it comes to what is unrealistic in politics at this point.

Back in 2000, people thought it was unrealistic that Lex Luthor became President in the DCU, now that does not seem far fetched, same deal with Fisk getting elected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: