Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #596 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #596?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #596 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #596 by Soule, Landini and Milla ships December 13th and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-596

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor Fisk part 2

First off, the art is spectacular in this issue. Landini's art is dynamic. More impressive are Milla's colors. This issue is a visual treat. I think Soule's book started off with extremely muted colors. For me, I appreciated it, but I never really liked it. But it seems once Legacy hit, things changed. The brightness of this, particularly with the neon blues and the police siren reds really stand out. I mean, in fairness, I'm pretty sure they copy and pasted the same panel four times in a row at the end, but the rest was great.

The issue was relatively simple and action focused. But the character moments towards the end worked really well. I liked Sam's disappointment that he might not be able to get asylum and stay in America. That's a subtle thing that took a lot of build up to work effectively. Also, I'm curious to see where this ending will go.

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this issue and I am really excited about this arc in general. It's a unique twist that if done right could make for a great DD story. Between the return of Muse and Matt's decision to join Fisk there are some really great angles for which this arc could go.

And I agree with Mike that Blindspot's call out to Matt about not being able to keep promises was really powerful and it made me reflect not only on Matt's failure as it relates to Blindspot, but the many tragedies that Matt has experienced.

I also agree with Mike's post that the art in this is really great. While I have been enjoying Soule's run overall from a story perspective I've felt that the art at times hindered me from enjoying the story as much as I should. This has been particularly true as I am also reading The Defenders and David Marquez's art is absolutely breathtaking. So I am glad that there has been the improvement in that area.

For me this issue was 5 stars
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great and fun issue!! I was really uninspired by this story at first but now I'm becoming very engaged!! Blindspot still sucks and feels unnecessary. His little comment to Matt fell on deaf ears. Nobody asked him to be a superhero and nobody told him to chase after Muse and disobey orders that ultimately cost him his eyes. The dude also backstabbed Matt and is coming across as a whiny prick. Wish Black Tarantula, Echo or White Tiger was getting the panel time and push Sam's getting.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this issue very engaging and fun. I think Landini's art took a big step upward this issue. I loved the cover by Dan Mora and Juan Fernandez -- it seemed like such a throwback to the Volume 2 days with Kevin Smith and David Mack, with Quesada's art and especially Richard Isanove's awesome colours.

I enjoyed how caught by surprise Daredevil was that Fisk has set the police against him. I only got to read this yesterday, and I have been wondering about this one thing for 24 hours: Now that Wilson Fisk doesn't know that Daredevil is Matt Murdock, does it make sense that he knows what Daredevil's powers are? It was established that people know about Daredevil's powers in the "Supreme" story. With this purple remedy, does that mean people keep their knowledge of Daredevil and his powers and deeds, but all they lose is their knowledge of his secret identity? Does that mean they also lose their knowledge of what he can't do -- see? This issue made me slightly confused about how the purple children's remedy works.

I think Milla's colour choices since he started working with Landini bring a lot of life and vibrancy to the series, which has been missing for a bit. The cliffhanger has me stoked for the next issue, as does the return of Muse.

However, I thought Muse's single page ended sloppily. He tells the guard in New Attilan, "But I've finally chosen my next project, so I'm going to leave you now," and then we abruptly leave the scene. Um, I kind of want to see what happens next. That line implies some sort of attack or violence or hijinks of some sort. If there isn't space in the issue to bring in Muse properly, it would have been better to save a more complete Muse scene for the next issue.

I'm feeling genuine excitement for this story, so I gave this issue a four.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue would have been four stars, but then I hit the last three pages, which bumped it up to five for me. I was genuinely shocked as I would have thought Fisk would have offered Matt another position in his administration, not deputy mayor. I wonder if Fisk will make Matt get him coffee.

I prefer Matt being more off the radar, so I am apprehensive about his new job as a very public servant of such a major metropolitan area. But one of the things I like about Soule’s run is how well structured it is (Matt threatens Fisk’s grip on NYC through his Supreme Court victory so Fisk counterpunches by becoming mayor yet inadvertently undercuts himself by attempting to shore up his rule through choosing Matt), so I’m willing to see where this goes. I also thought it was interesting that Matt was referred to as a metahuman as it used to be that DC used the term metahuman and Marvel used the term mutate, but it doesn’t really matter as it means the same thing.

Mike Murdock wrote:
First off, the art is spectacular in this issue. Landini's art is dynamic. More impressive are Milla's colors. This issue is a visual treat.

macjr33 wrote:
While I have been enjoying Soule's run overall from a story perspective I've felt that the art at times hindered me from enjoying the story as much as I should.

It’s spectacular. I especially like Landini’s use of shadow. It’d be wonderful if we could have Garney and Landini switch off. As much as I personally have liked the variety of art, consistency would be better for sales as I’ve heard people say they’ve jumped on and off the book due to the different artists. And I know I say this every time it pops up, but I also really like that the halftone effect is back again; I just think it adds an extra punch to Milla’s already great coloring.

Dimetre wrote:
I only got to read this yesterday, and I have been wondering about this one thing for 24 hours: Now that Wilson Fisk doesn't know that Daredevil is Matt Murdock, does it make sense that he knows what Daredevil's powers are? It was established that people know about Daredevil's powers in the "Supreme" story. With this purple remedy, does that mean people keep their knowledge of Daredevil and his powers and deeds, but all they lose is their knowledge of his secret identity? Does that mean they also lose their knowledge of what he can't do -- see? This issue made me slightly confused about how the purple children's remedy works.

I would think people would know Daredevil has certain skills, just not his identity itself. As for Matt’s blindness, wouldn’t the police have used that against him if they knew? Presumably the blindness is connected with memories of Matt and the supersenses with memories of Daredevil. Wasn’t it GrinchieDog and jriddle that said having Daredevil’s abilities on record would come back to haunt Matt? Nice continuity leading to perilous consequences here.

Daredevil24 wrote:
Blindspot still sucks and feels unnecessary. His little comment to Matt fell on deaf ears.

I’ve been one of Sam’s supporters since the beginning, but I’ve been very disappointed in him the last few issues he’s been in. All his complaining to Matt when this whole situation is Sam’s fault (if he hadn’t lured Matt to China, Matt would have stopped Kingpin’s election) just makes him an ungrateful whiner. Speaking of broken promises, didn’t Sam vow to save his mom? Sam needs to be quiet and take a good look in a mirror.

Dimetre wrote:
However, I thought Muse's single page ended sloppily. He tells the guard in New Attilan, "But I've finally chosen my next project, so I'm going to leave you now," and then we abruptly leave the scene. Um, I kind of want to see what happens next. That line implies some sort of attack or violence or hijinks of some sort.

Normally I’d agree with you, but given how underwhelming Purple Man’s three page escape from prison was, we might as well skip it. I did like how Muse acted as if his incarceration was akin to a vacation. Of course they gave him art supplies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: