Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #598 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #598?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #598 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #598 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships February 7th and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-598

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issues ships!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool issue building things some more. It's interesting that Muse and the Kingpin are so diametrically opposed and Muse seems to be painting a pro-hero agenda. It leads to an awkward situation with Matt who obviously wants both of them to fall (and, if he has to lean one way, has a vested interest in supporting Muse). As another note, I think Soule's writing the Kingpin much better in this issue. My test for the character is whether it sounds like Roscoe Lee Browne could say it. This Kingpin has the pompous I want.

The Kingpin's plan is fun, but I strongly suspect there's more to it. Finally, Muse continues to be a compellingly creepy character.

Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was a bit boring, everything seems somewhat repetitive with a few minor exceptions. Anyone know how much longer Soule will be on the book? I think I've been underwhelmed by his run. Far better than Waid''s goofy run which I vastly disliked, but underwhelming as a whole, in my opinion.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This issue was a bit boring, everything seems somewhat repetitive with a few minor exceptions. Anyone know how much longer Soule will be on the book? I think I've been underwhelmed by his run. Far better than Waid''s goofy run which I vastly disliked, but underwhelming as a whole, in my opinion.

Oh, I couldn't agree more! Really. The only good thing is that one, the end of that awful thing which passed for DD for far too long. But come the eff word on, there is nothing really good in this run, the writer does NOT do anything other than try and emulate the past several "grim n gritty" writers (who COULD do that kind of stuff) and their themes. Really boring, and more than that, a waste of time.
At least Waid had the guts of doing something of his own (that's how bad this run is, I kinda gave some praise to the later rubbish Waid did). "Supreme", which was supposed to be at least one of the major contributions by Soule, was nothing but a bad joke, start to finish.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I couldn't agree more! Really. The only good thing is that one, the end of that awful thing which passed for DD for far too long. But come the eff word on, there is nothing really good in this run, the writer does NOT do anything other than try and emulate the past several "grim n gritty" writers (who COULD do that kind of stuff) and their themes. Really boring, and more than that, a waste of time.
At least Waid had the guts of doing something of his own (that's how bad this run is, I kinda gave some praise to the later rubbish Waid did). "Supreme", which was supposed to be at least one of the major contributions by Soule, was nothing but a bad joke, start to finish.
Lol. I feel you bro. The only thing I found remotely interesting about this run so far was that Daredevil & Elektra possibly having a daughter that was trained by the Hand, but Soule debunked that in the same issue. Rather than do something potentially ground breaking and risky(like Batman on the verge of marrying Catwoman) we get Blindspot shoved down our throats, we get the 'Supreme' arc which is like a bad parody of the White Tiger trial only with atrocious art. Muse isn't anymore creepier than the Surgeon general, hell, I'm more creeped out by Sir than Muse. Muse isn't horrible but I see him more important to Blindspot than Daredevil. I find Matt Murdock so boring he has no interesting personal.(at least Waid made him act like an idiot so there was something to love or hate) Barely any Foggy, no romantic relationships, his friends don't know who he is. Even the couple of times Echo has showed up it's pointless cause Soule pretty much erased their history. Fisk not mowing who he is bothers me.(this mayor arc isn't worth pissing on Born Again) The whole heroes being able to testify is lame too. It reminds me of 'playing to the camera'. I think Bendis and Brubaker had far more interesting legal drama than Soule lol. And before all the Soule lovers take my head off this is just my opinion.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the return of the lame black costume because y'know Daredevil used to have issues being seen in the dark even though he has ninja training, knows how to use shadows and has made a career of using stealth and disappearing right in front of the human eye. But somehow the iconic red suit is a bit of a liability. Weak.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just don't actually dislike the black costume, I do think it is cool, visually; but the fact that nobody knows why he started using it in the first place and now that ridiculous reason for getting back in it is really lame.
I really wish #600 would be the end of this boring, really-not-special run, but the writer has been saying that he will stick around for a while Confused -- always maintaining that the present state of the book "is only the beginning" of something bigger and massive... Hard to believe things can get better than this... But hey, that's what we have. Nothing we can do, unless maybe stop reading, right?
It's just that I (and many others) waited for quite sometime to go back to enjoying DD, only to be disappointed again, by a guy who thinks he's writing good overall drama, and bringing back in good shape the poignant factor which many good DD writers could actually do.

PS.: so nice to see someone remembers good antagonists like General Surgeon and Sir! (I still believe the DeMatteis run is rather underrated.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Well, I just don't actually dislike the black costume, I do think it is cool, visually; but the fact that nobody knows why he started using it in the first place and now that ridiculous reason for getting back in it is really lame.
I really wish #600 would be the end of this boring, really-not-special run, but the writer has been saying that he will stick around for a while Confused -- always maintaining that the present state of the book "is only the beginning" of something bigger and massive... Hard to believe things can get better than this... But hey, that's what we have. Nothing we can do, unless maybe stop reading, right?
It's just that I (and many others) waited for quite sometime to go back to enjoying DD, only to be disappointed again, by a guy who thinks he's writing good overall drama, and bringing back in good shape the poignant factor which many good DD writers could actually do.

PS.: so nice to see someone remembers good antagonists like General Surgeon and Sir! (I still believe the DeMatteis run is rather underrated.
You know what...I was hard on the black costume, I let my frustration make me overly critical. Lol. But I still think the red costume is timeless but I don't mind changes. I didn't mind the armored DD suit and I actually like the Secret wars costume a lot! The black costume isn't terrible but it's a but boring to me.

Yeah. DD means a lot to me and I read everything I can lol so I'm aware of Sir, General Surgeon, Micha Synn, Dragon Lady and a few other DD characters that don't get much love. I really haven't enjoyed DD since Ed Brubaker left. I just don't know who could write the character after Soule, who as you say isn't leaving anytime soon. At least the series is readable.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I would give this issue a 3.

I feel like it is an intentional slow-burn for something big for issue #600. Like seeing Muse back and agree with Mike that it's fun seeing Matt in the awkward position of having to actually support Muse.

While I have enjoyed Soule's run overall, I will concede it is not the best run we have seen in 21st century. I would easily put Bendis, Brubaker and Waid's run ahead of this one (and I loved Waid's run). I have said this before; however, part of it for me is the art.

Quote:
Lol. I feel you bro. The only thing I found remotely interesting about this run so far was that Daredevil & Elektra possibly having a daughter that was trained by the Hand, but Soule debunked that in the same issue. Rather than do something potentially ground breaking and risky(like Batman on the verge of marrying Catwoman) we get Blindspot shoved down our throats, we get the 'Supreme' arc which is like a bad parody of the White Tiger trial only with atrocious art. Muse isn't anymore creepier than the Surgeon general, hell, I'm more creeped out by Sir than Muse. Muse isn't horrible but I see him more important to Blindspot than Daredevil. I find Matt Murdock so boring he has no interesting personal.(at least Waid made him act like an idiot so there was something to love or hate) Barely any Foggy, no romantic relationships, his friends don't know who he is. Even the couple of times Echo has showed up it's pointless cause Soule pretty much erased their history. Fisk not mowing who he is bothers me.(this mayor arc isn't worth pissing on Born Again) The whole heroes being able to testify is lame too. It reminds me of 'playing to the camera'. I think Bendis and Brubaker had far more interesting legal drama than Soule lol. And before all the Soule lovers take my head off this is just my opinion.

Agree with a good bit of this, in the sense that I don't like the lack of interaction with Foggy and the lack of a romantic relationship for Matt especially when you tease someone like Echo and do absolutely nothing with it.

Thinking about future writers, maybe unrealistic; however, I have been really enjoying Ed Brisson's run on Iron Fist. Most recently, Iron Fist #77 was an awesome conclusion to the recent arc. I feel he has a good sense of Danny and, perhaps more importantly, he's done some cool things with the supporting characters in that he brought Sabertooth into the story in a fun way (he was originally introduced in Iron Fist) and he built on the character of Sparrow (who is easily the best thing of the otherwise disappointing IF: The Living Weapon). I think he might be able to do some fun things with DD if given the opportunity.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was neither bad nor great. It was... okay.

First off, I found it kind of odd that no one but Matt knows who Muse is. Lots of people were killed by him, and his painting using the blood of many people was found. He was jailed, so someone should know who he is.

I found the previous issue's cliffhanger kind of weak. Muse painted a mural of Daredevil. What does that do to the story? This issue opens with him having painted more murals very quickly. I don't know what this is going to do to Matt, who already knew that Muse had escaped custody. All this does is bring him to Fisk's attention, and, again, I don't know why Fisk is unaware of him. It's not like him to have someone like Muse escape his notice.

I like that Matt is able to zone Steve out. He's a disciplined enough person that he should be able to do that, and spy on Fisk.

At first, I wasn't thrilled to see Ron Garney return on art, however, he is the best at drawing Muse, and this is a more Muse-centric issue. So, while some of Garney's panels look a little rushed, occasionally resulting in Fisk having a weird mouth, like he's a Tim Sale character, I was happy that the Kingpin no longer looks like Vincent D'Onofrio.

I am not happy to have the black suit back. I honestly thought we had seen the last of it, but no. Apparently Matt still keeps it in his wardrobe. At least Soule rationalizes its continued use -- it makes it easier for Daredevil to hide.

While I love Muse as a villain, I guess I'm still unclear on his powers. Is he psychokinetic, meaning he can move objects without touching them?

I still don't think Soule has explained how Muse freed himself from prison, and the four panels showing the slaughter of the cops this issue are very unclear. This is really too bad. I honestly think Muse could be one of Daredevil's all-time greatest villains, but if Soule and the art team are going to be this sloppy with his part of the story, then it's a very big missed opportunity.

What I did like is that no one is clear on what Muse is using to paint the murals. I imagine everything is human remains of some sort, although I don't know how he colours it. That's a lot of green he used for the She-Hulk mural.

Fisk's choices for department heads are so stupid that they took me out of the story momentarily. Fisk is trying to convince people that he's on the up and up, isn't he? Hammerhead, Black Cat, the Owl and Diamondback? Too stupid, and Fisk should never come across as stupid.

I don't think the story advanced very far at all this issue, which is always frustrating, and I'm worried that this is going to be yet another Soule story that's going to have an unsatisfactory ending. I feel like there are too many balls in the air with this story, and that Soule is not a skilled enough juggler. "Mayor Fisk" could have been okay, but I don't know why we need a Muse story at the same time.

I'm ready for someone else to take over as writer. I think Charles Soule has done a decent job writing Daredevil, but just decent. He has had some great issues, but they were sprinkled here and there throughout his run. I wish some of the other people commenting throughout this run were able to acknowledge what Soule has done well. I, for one, will always smile when I think of Matt winning at poker against that inhuman who can see through other people's eyes.

As for being upset that Fisk no longer knows Daredevil's secret identity, I seem to remember everyone here wanting the reset button pushed. It got pushed, but now you don't like how it was pushed. Foggy knows, and now Blindspot knows. I'm sorry that this isn't the way you would have done things, but while I will concede that I'm not in love with Soule's Daredevil work, I'm glad it doesn't piss me off the way Bendis and Diggle did.

I honestly don't know who I would want to take over for Soule. I love Waid and Samnee's work on Black Widow and and Captain America, but we don't need them to return to Daredevil. I'm really enjoying Tales of Suspense, so I would probably nominate Matthew Rosenberg, but it seems like he has enough titles. His Kingpin series was the best thing about "Running With The Devil."

I gave this issue a 3.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
This issue was neither bad nor great. It was... okay.

First off, I found it kind of odd that no one but Matt knows who Muse is. Lots of people were killed by him, and his painting using the blood of many people was found. He was jailed, so someone should know who he is.

I found the previous issue's cliffhanger kind of weak. Muse painted a mural of Daredevil. What does that do to the story? This issue opens with him having painted more murals very quickly. I don't know what this is going to do to Matt, who already knew that Muse had escaped custody. All this does is bring him to Fisk's attention, and, again, I don't know why Fisk is unaware of him. It's not like him to have someone like Muse escape his notice.

I like that Matt is able to zone Steve out. He's a disciplined enough person that he should be able to do that, and spy on Fisk.

At first, I wasn't thrilled to see Ron Garney return on art, however, he is the best at drawing Muse, and this is a more Muse-centric issue. So, while some of Garney's panels look a little rushed, occasionally resulting in Fisk having a weird mouth, like he's a Tim Sale character, I was happy that the Kingpin no longer looks like Vincent D'Onofrio.

I am not happy to have the black suit back. I honestly thought we had seen the last of it, but no. Apparently Matt still keeps it in his wardrobe. At least Soule rationalizes its continued use -- it makes it easier for Daredevil to hide.

While I love Muse as a villain, I guess I'm still unclear on his powers. Is he psychokinetic, meaning he can move objects without touching them?

I still don't think Soule has explained how Muse freed himself from prison, and the four panels showing the slaughter of the cops this issue are very unclear. This is really too bad. I honestly think Muse could be one of Daredevil's all-time greatest villains, but if Soule and the art team are going to be this sloppy with his part of the story, then it's a very big missed opportunity.

What I did like is that no one is clear on what Muse is using to paint the murals. I imagine everything is human remains of some sort, although I don't know how he colours it. That's a lot of green he used for the She-Hulk mural.

Fisk's choices for department heads are so stupid that they took me out of the story momentarily. Fisk is trying to convince people that he's on the up and up, isn't he? Hammerhead, Black Cat, the Owl and Diamondback? Too stupid, and Fisk should never come across as stupid.

I don't think the story advanced very far at all this issue, which is always frustrating, and I'm worried that this is going to be yet another Soule story that's going to have an unsatisfactory ending. I feel like there are too many balls in the air with this story, and that Soule is not a skilled enough juggler. "Mayor Fisk" could have been okay, but I don't know why we need a Muse story at the same time.

I'm ready for someone else to take over as writer. I think Charles Soule has done a decent job writing Daredevil, but just decent. He has had some great issues, but they were sprinkled here and there throughout his run. I wish some of the other people commenting throughout this run were able to acknowledge what Soule has done well. I, for one, will always smile when I think of Matt winning at poker against that inhuman who can see through other people's eyes.

As for being upset that Fisk no longer knows Daredevil's secret identity, I seem to remember everyone here wanting the reset button pushed. It got pushed, but now you don't like how it was pushed. Foggy knows, and now Blindspot knows. I'm sorry that this isn't the way you would have done things, but while I will concede that I'm not in love with Soule's Daredevil work, I'm glad it doesn't piss me off the way Bendis and Diggle did.

I honestly don't know who I would want to take over for Soule. I love Waid and Samnee's work on Black Widow and and Captain America, but we don't need them to return to Daredevil. I'm really enjoying Tales of Suspense, so I would probably nominate Matthew Rosenberg, but it seems like he has enough titles. His Kingpin series was the best thing about "Running With The Devil."

I gave this issue a 3.
I obviously don't share your love for Waid seeing as I think it was a slap in the face to the Daredevil mythos, but we can agree to disagree. The secret identity thing could have been rebooted during Secret Wars. Just say 'Secret Wars' and get it over with. The how really wasn't a big deal to me. The identity had become a walking gag so I don't many would habe complained how it was done. Elektra and Natasha believin they had an affair with the same person is silly and problematic. Blindspot knowing does nothing from Mr because Soule hasn't done anything interesting with him except shoehorn him in the story and take some of Matt''s thunder. My opinion though. I like your choices for a new writer though.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

I genuinely think there's more to it than that, but we'll have to see.

Quote:

Matt Rosenberg is doing a great job - I'd recommend checking out his Secret Warriors run as well. That being said, the name I've been campaigning to bring on for a while now is Christopher Priest. I know he wanted the job back in the day and he wrote two fill-ins a long time ago (when he wasn't quite as strong a writer as he became). He's back to writing at least some Marvel work and was seen as Marvel Retreats, so he might be looking to become a full-time Marvel writer again.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:

Matt Rosenberg is doing a great job - I'd recommend checking out his Secret Warriors run as well. That being said, the name I've been campaigning to bring on for a while now is Christopher Priest. I know he wanted the job back in the day and he wrote two fill-ins a long time ago (when he wasn't quite as strong a writer as he became). He's back to writing at least some Marvel work and was seen as Marvel Retreats, so he might be looking to become a full-time Marvel writer again.

Forgot about Rosenberg, completely agree and thanks for the Secret Wars recommendation. I like his Kingpin series quite a bit and not just for his take on the Kingpin, but also the supporting characters that he created.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone has made great points here even I though disagree with most of them.

As the poster in this thread (and let’s be honest, probably on the board as well) who likes Soule the most, I actually agree this issue was boring. It was just too slow-the stuff with Muse was good, but it could have been condensed into the start of the next issue. I do expect Matt tuning out Steve’s talking about whatever it was that applied to the deputy mayor will come back to haunt him, though.

Personally, aside from the cancer subplot with Foggy and the two Original Sin tie-in issues with his mom, I found Waid’s Daredevil to be a nonsensical trainwreck that destroyed Daredevil’s mythos and made Matt into a good version of The Riddler. That Daredevil was neither marketable nor sustainable, so whoever came on next was going to have to do a 180 from that version anyway. But what I like about Soule’s run goes beyond the proper urban noir tone. Matt’s voice is dead on, which is really, really important to me. It’s also very well structured. Everything flows, with each arc executing itself and setting up things for future arcs and subplots. It feels like classic comic structure with interweaving A, B, and C plots, which I really appreciate in this day and age of the trade and choppy runs that don’t build properly or go anywhere. I don’t think Soule is pretending to write a deep, dark Daredevil run-I think he’s actually achieving it. I like how he’s not backing away from tough questions as in the Seventh Day arc, for example.

I can’t remember in which interview he said it, but Soule mentioned that since Waid’s run did such a good job with Matt and Foggy’s friendship, he wanted to back off from it a little, which I’m okay with because I don’t need Foggy to be in every issue. I like how Foggy makes an impact when he shows up, so he’s not just background wallpaper. As for the lack of a love life, Matt made a conscious decision to save Kirsten from the life he leads. I can’t imagine his single status will continue indefinitely, but he is going to have to work through those feelings that drove him to that decision and evaluate what that means going forward. Would he feel more comfortable only dating women who are superheroes? And I would have loved Matt and Elektra to have a daughter together for real, but that only works with long term editorial support. For every Danielle Cage that sticks around, there’s ten dead, forgotten, or retconned children.

As for Sam, I like him (admittedly not as much as I did before he imprisoned and tortured Matt, but that’s Sam’s own fault), but even if I didn’t, I’ll take an apprentice over replacement any day of the week. Plus, Soule’s avoided many of the problems with apprentice characters with Sam; he’s not a child, he doesn’t rely on Matt for support, and he has his own superhero name, powers, and neighborhood to protect. It’s really the best-case scenario given we could have another Daredevil running around, but Soule correctly chose to keep Matt unique instead. That’s important and demonstrates to me that he understands the character.

I admit I’m not really invested in the costume debate. I like the black costume, I like the red costume, and I think it makes sense for Matt to have more than one outfit depending on the situation and conditions he’s walking into. I suppose if I could pick, I’d add the boxing handwraps and boots from the black costume to the red costume as I like him honoring his father, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter as long as he looks menacing.

Since he doesn’t intend on leaving any time soon, I’m truly sorry that not everyone is enjoying his writing the way I am, but I’m fine with Soule remaining on the book as long as he can keep up this level of quality, Matt remains in the driver’s seat, and sales remain good. After Soule’s done, I agree with everyone’s choices for who to put on the title next, but I’d like to see Brisson first. Based on his Bullseye mini and his work on Iron Fist, Brisson knows what he’s doing, while I’m not sure that Priest is still interested after his success with Deathstroke, and Rosenberg needs to keep working on his pacing (I think he’ll get where he needs to be with rising and falling action, but he’s not there yet IMHO).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: