Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #599 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #599?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #599 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #599 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships February 21st and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-599

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this issue. For once, I'm starting to understand why Soule has Muse and Fisk in the same story at the same time. The Kingpin has gotten under Matt's skin to such a degree, that he can't focus on anything else.

This issue opens with Matt trying to concentrate to an extreme degree so he can find out where in New York Muse is. He can't. He's completely preoccupied with Fisk, and Blindspot feels that Matt is letting him down.

The sad thing is that Matt knows how dangerous Muse is, and he doesn't want Sam to go after him alone, however, he's not leaving him much choice. Also, Matt is even doubting himself -- asking "Have I done everything I can to make sure Muse doesn't hurt anyone else? No. I don't think I have.

Soule is deliberately setting us up to believe that Sam is going to die next issue. Maybe he will. That will make some on this board happy. Not me. I think he has potential, and would do well joining the Champions or a team like that. I don't think I need him hanging around in a Daredevil book anymore. It doesn't seem like him and Matt are on the best terms anymore anyway.

The cliffhanger has Matt meeting with the Defenders, Spidey, Moon Knight, Misty Knight and Echo. That makes me nervous about the next issue. None of these other characters have been involved in this story so far. Is Matt going to be crowded out of his 600th issue? Will it be a clusterbomb?

As apprehensive I am of the next issue, I thought this one was good. I give it a four.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the callback to the last time Matt found Fisk. The big thing is not his failure, it's that he's forced to listen to how much Fisk is dominating the city. I like that they're butting heads. If you're going to remove Fisk knowing Matt's identity, it makes sense to put them in a position where they're face to face as Matt and Fisk. That being said, it feels like Daredevil is becoming unhinged here and is making reckless decisions.

Side note, the ad for Daredevil 600 is amazing - a perfect callback to issue number one.

We see some more development of Blindspot. I think the discussion about his time with the Hand is an important one to show how much he changed. You think it's setting up for something big and then Muse catches everyone completely by surprise. Seriously, he's got such an ill-defined quantity to him, but that adds to his menace - particularly with how sudden things were.

I'm not sure what will happen with Blindspot. I've felt twice that his story was over and it wasn't. I think the character has a lot of potential, but there also needs to be more time developing him (is this the first time we saw his girlfriend?).

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That girl is his sister. Okay?
Some people try so hard to praise Soule's run, they forget the weak thing they've read.
That comes from the desire of liking a character, no matter how awful he is written.
The one good thing that wannabe DD writer could do was to just kill that useless BS (wow, see how it fits?). And yeah, then drop the title.
Are a lot of you guys thinking there is something great next (from the ever permanent Soule)?
Oh yes, because the guy writing right now is SO good. Because Muse is not a character just up from weak fanfics. Because Yes, Wilson FIsk HAS to be DD's nemesis (or even enemy) foreffinever!
There is someone pretending to write 'good' Daredevil.
And a scary lot of people just continuing to love the character, no matter how unimportant is what happens to him/it.

Last edited by Thayrone Ibsen on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Are a lot of you guys thinking there is something great next (from the ever permanent Soule)?
Oh yes, because the guy writing right now is SO good.

Actually, I would be curious to know if there is a single person on this board that would consider Charles Soule as one of their all-time great Daredevil writers. I certainly don't. I don't mind his work, but it doesn't excite me that much.
Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Because Muse is not a character just up from weak fancics.

Did you mean to type "fanfics"? I think Muse is an awesome new villain! He is so twisted and sick! He is in love with his creative process, but his created process is so sick!
Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Because Yes, Wilson FIsk HAS to be DD's nemesis (or even enemy) foreffinever!

How long have you felt this way? The Kingpin has been a steady presence in the book for over 35 years. Some writers like Ann Nocenti and Mark Waid have gone out of their way to avoid the Kingpin for long stretches. In fact, I would be tempted to say the same thing about Charles Soule. The Kingpin only join his run for the "Supreme" story which was about a year and a half into his run.
Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
There is someone pretending to write 'good' Daredevil.
And a scary lot of people just contituing to love the character, no matter how unimportant is what happens to him/it.

You realize what this website is about, right?

I know how frustrating it is when you're favourite character is being written by someone who you don't enjoy, and it's made extra-frustrating when it seems everyone else is praising that writer for the work you don't like. I so disliked Bendis' work on Daredevil that Volume 2 #55 was the last issue I picked up until Ed Brubaker took over. Having said that, I don't think anyone is overpraising Soule, or even saying that his work is great. Speaking for myself, I'm simply pointing out the parts of an issue that I enjoy. I'm willing to acknowledge something is good when I see it.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably put Soule at five or six right now. I like him better than Andy Diggle and he has a much greater sample size than David Mack. Part of it is a preference for the Miller and beyond Daredevil. I don't think I'd put Conway, Wolfman, Gerber, or even Stan Lee above him (Roger McKenzie is the only one I'm 50/50 on). I think I'd put him above Karl Kesel and Joe Kelly and certainly above D.G. Chichester. I definitely think his run has been very solid overall even if it isn't top three.

macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I enjoyed the issue. I am actually quite excited that Matt has reached out to other street level heroes. While I am glad Daredevil tends to be solo and not get involved in broader Marvel events, I do like when he's with other street level heroes like Cage and Iron Fist.

Agree with others, Muse is one of the best villains that DD has seen in quite awhile. Love how he got the drop on Blindspot.

There has been a ton of buildup to issue #600 so let's hope it can deliver.

Mike Murdock wrote:
I'd probably put Soule at five or six right now. I like him better than Andy Diggle and he has a much greater sample size than David Mack. Part of it is a preference for the Miller and beyond Daredevil. I don't think I'd put Conway, Wolfman, Gerber, or even Stan Lee above him (Roger McKenzie is the only one I'm 50/50 on). I think I'd put him above Karl Kesel and Joe Kelly and certainly above D.G. Chichester. I definitely think his run has been very solid overall even if it isn't top three.

This is pretty similar for me. He would probably be 5 or so for me. As it would probably be Bendis, Miller, Waid, Brubaker and then Soule. As Mike said, Mack has too small a sample size (though I liked all of it) and same with Loeb (I loved DD: Yellow).

This may be unpopular on this board; however, for me, I would put Soule's run above Nocenti's run.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt Soule kills Blindspot, he likes him more than Matt. Muse could be a great villain, he has a cool look and a cool name, but he doesn't offer anything other than the fact he's psychotic for me to be invested in and that isn't enough for me to care. DD could use stronger rogues but Soule needs to do a better job creating characters.

Blindspot's strained relationship with Matt is silly. If anyone should be sour it should be Matt. I don't want Sam to die because I don't want another tragic death on Matt's conscience, but this stupid tension is ridiculous.

Also not feeling this whole thing with Matt and Fisk. It feels cheap giving their historic rivalry. Had this took place before born again and last rites I would be invested.

Also I think it would be more fitting if Matt was the one confronting Muse and Blindspot was the one rallying the heroes. Also Echo with no pre existing knowledge of Matt is a waste. Soule's run is readable, but I'd put him at the very bottom of the writers that came before. It's just a bland series. Matt Murdock is so boring. Blindspot could have been an interesting addition to the series but he comes across as a poor mixture of Jason Todd and Tim Drake. DD should have a great universe like Batman, but not as a large. Echo, Elektra, Black Tarantula, White Tiger and an interesting version of Blindspot would have been awesome. I still don't understand why Elektra doesn't have more of a prominent role in the DD universe. Soule had an opportunity to fix that and did nothing but a tease. Sad.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only bringing back Karen Page would save 600 for me. Not happening. Instead I expect an issue centered around Blindspot and Matt dealing with his new status as a eavesdropping attorney. Such unbearable unbelievable excitement and on every page. Yay .....
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the issue. I certainly wouldn't put Soule among my favorite scribes, but not among my least favorite either. I do agree that the Matt / Sam relationship seems silly, as it is now, I like Blindspot's potential. I see the way he reacts to Matt as just being young an inexperienced. I've been waiting for White Tiger to make it back to these pages for quite some time... since "Shadowland" maybe, has it really been that long? I like her as a character, similar to Blindspot as a student.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 stars. I think Matt is doing the best he can under trying circumstances. Working for Kingpin would wear on anyone, and Muse is so unpredictable, it’s hard to know how to best counter him. I think it says a lot that Matt knows he needs help, and I’m curious to see how everything unfolds next issue. As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else. I really like Soule, but as I’ve said multiple times, I also understand why not everyone is enjoying him the way I am.

IMHO Muse is a fantastic addition to Daredevil’s rogue’s gallery. I like how his devotion to his art mirrors Matt’s dedication to justice, and I laughed out loud at how he confronted Blindspot. As for Sam, I don't think he's going anywhere, which is fine, although he still needs to make up for everything he did to Matt. I agree Sam being standoffish with Matt is absurd, but since he partially opened up to Hannah, I also agree he’s demonstrating his immaturity. Remember, Sam is the one who’s stated that working with Matt is almost like having a father, and Sam’s treating Matt as the authority figure he has to be ungrateful to and rebel against even though Sam is the one who kidnapped, drugged, and tortured Matt.

Daredevil24 wrote:
DD should have a great universe like Batman, but not as a large.

He does. What Matt lacks in breath compared to Bruce, he has in depth. I’d much rather read this than stuff like “Night of the Monster Men” over in Batman.

Daredevil24 wrote:
I still don't understand why Elektra doesn't have more of a prominent role in the DD universe. Soule had an opportunity to fix that and did nothing but a tease. Sad.

I hope Elektra appears again too. Not only do I adore her and Matt together, it’s frustrating that if Elektra isn’t in Daredevil, she really has nowhere to go except limbo, unfortunately. Her time in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn’t hurt her, but it didn’t help her gain popularity either, and her solo series last year only made five issues, even if it did sell more than Kingpin.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:
As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else.

These are writers who I think have better Daredevil runs than Charles Soule, whose run I think is decent -- meaning not bad but not great.

Frank Miller
Denny O'Neil
Ed Brubaker
Mark Waid
Ann Nocenti

Nocenti has some issues that don't stand up, and she can overwrite, but she took a lot of chances and sometimes her work was astounding. I have to put her ahead of Soule.

I guess that means that Soule is my sixth favourite Daredevil writer.

I absolutely adore David Mack's work on the title, and I would like to think he wasn't that involved in the horrid End of Days, but I have to concede he didn't do enough work to place him above Soule.

I was also tempted to place J.M. DeMatteis above Soule, but he only wrote six issues, and while some may find the character of Sir an offensive portrayal of transsexuals, I think DeMatteis is so good at exploring a character's psychology. I also think he did an excellent job at cleaning up Chichester's mess. But if I couldn't put Mack ahead of Soule, I certainly can't do it for DeMatteis based on just six issues.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:

As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else.

I have heard some people claim that Bendis's run is better. Granted, I think those people are wrong, but I've definitely heard it said.

Quote:
I hope Elektra appears again too. Not only do I adore her and Matt together, it’s frustrating that if Elektra isn’t in Daredevil, she really has nowhere to go except limbo, unfortunately. Her time in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn’t hurt her, but it didn’t help her gain popularity either, and her solo series last year only made five issues, even if it did sell more than Kingpin.

This might be unpopular, but I think one of the difficulties Elektra is having is that her story ended. It was a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end and everything else feels like it's spinning in circles.

macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sunni wrote:

I have heard some people claim that Bendis's run is better. Granted, I think those people are wrong, but I've definitely heard it said.

Count me as one of those people, even if it’s unpopular. While Born Again is the single greatest story arc for me in comics (which is also oddly one that gives Matt a happy ending, at least by his standards) from beginning to end I would take Bendis over Miller. A significant part of this would also be due to Maleev; however, I think that’s true of most great writers. Same reason I like Waid so much is due in part to Samnee. While the art was good on Miller’s original run it wasn’t on par with Maleev or Samnee. Now Mazzuchelli was amazing however he wasn’t with Miller that long.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sunni wrote:

This might be unpopular, but I think one of the difficulties Elektra is having is that her story ended. It was a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end and everything else feels like it's spinning in circles.

I actually think you couldn’t be more right about this even if it is unpopular and I love Elektra as well. What has Elektra done of significance since her 1st solo series in the 90s?

Basically her sole function is to pop in from time to time to get Matt all worked up and then leave for a few dozen issues. At least when they do something similar with Natasha it’s handled better because writers have been able to develop a strong friendship between them that makes sense. I don’t see a scenario where they put Matt and Elektra back together for any length of time.

The only thing I think could be interesting was already teased by Soule and it’s if Elektra got pregnant and had Matt’s child. While obvious similarities to Batman, Talia and Damian would be made, I think it could’ve done even better in Daredevil.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I absolutely adore David Mack's work on the title, and I would like to think he wasn't that involved in the horrid End of Days, but I have to concede he didn't do enough work to place him above Soule.

End of Days is on my “Do Not Read” list, LOL.

macjr33 wrote:
A significant part of this would also be due to Maleev; however, I think that’s true of most great writers. Same reason I like Waid so much is due in part to Samnee. While the art was good on Miller’s original run it wasn’t on par with Maleev or Samnee. Now Mazzuchelli was amazing however he wasn’t with Miller that long.

That’s an interesting perspective, as I personally would rank art separately from writing. I prefer to have art that I like looking at, but I also think that’s why I’ve weathered the multiple artists in Soule’s run better than other people. I loathe Samnee’s art (no offense to him, but I think it looks like knockoff Archie), but that’s not why Waid’s run didn’t work for me outside of Foggy and Matt’s mom. For example, it wouldn’t have made those scenes on the boat with Kirsten and her dad any less boring if someone else had drawn it.

macjr33 wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

I actually think you couldn’t be more right about this even if it is unpopular and I love Elektra as well. What has Elektra done of significance since her 1st solo series in the 90s?

Other people have made that argument, and I do understand that position, but she’s had another 60 solo issues beyond that (her second volume almost doubled her first) plus her team memberships in Thunderbolts, etc. which says to me there’s more stories to tell with Elektra and with Elektra and Matt.

macjr33 wrote:
Basically her sole function is to pop in from time to time to get Matt all worked up and then leave for a few dozen issues. At least when they do something similar with Natasha it’s handled better because writers have been able to develop a strong friendship between them that makes sense. I don’t see a scenario where they put Matt and Elektra back together for any length of time.

I can and not just because I’m clearly biased. Lately she’s been a heroine who sometimes kills people, not an anti-heroine. It’s a little weird that in three different books with three different writers, she’s hurt (not killed) and arrested people she’d normally would have just killed previously. IMHO Marvel needs to better define what they want out of Elektra. But whether they want to try another solo series with her or have her support Matt instead, the best way to build her up for either of those roles is for her to appear in Daredevil, not be in limbo.

macjr33 wrote:
The only thing I think could be interesting was already teased by Soule and it’s if Elektra got pregnant and had Matt’s child. While obvious similarities to Batman, Talia and Damian would be made, I think it could’ve done even better in Daredevil.

IMHO Marvel largely keeps characters single and childless as to not limit storytelling for the writers; to do something like the Cage family with Luke, Jessica, and Danielle requires long-term editorial backing. It would have been great for Iona to have been real, but without that support, she just would have ended up killed or retconned or forgotten later, which would have been awful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: