Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #601 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #601?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #601 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #601 by Soule, Henderson and Milla ships April 18th and here's a preview

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-601

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was pretty fun. I really like when Matt takes control. Firing Wesley was hardcore and hilarious! I still found it odd wit Spider Man and the rest not knowing Matt is Daredevil. Poor Echo who I love just seems out of place. I hope they fix that. All in all I enjoyed this issue. I kinda like comissionor Karnik for some reason.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the landmark 600th issue (as much as that underwhelmed me), this one seems to be more about moving the chess pieces around in preparation for the next big battle. Consequently, it's not that exciting.

The first thing I noticed was the the weak cover. The last several were done by Dan Mora, and his art made me excited to dig into the comic inside. Now we have Chris Sprouse, Karl Story and Jordie Bellaire. It took three people to turn in this rather boring cover that doesn't even reflect anything happening in this issue. The red of Daredevil's costume is muted, and doesn't leap off the page. This cover can't excite anybody.

Ron Garney is gone again, and is, this time, replaced by Mike Henderson. For the most part, I thought Henderson did okay. He draws Daredevil's costume less form-fitting than other artists do, and there is one panel of Daredevil yelling where his mouth looked like something the animator on Sailor Moon would draw, but Henderson is okay.

I think my biggest gripe about the art comes on the page of six panels showing a Hand ninja and the back of the police van. Matt is inside and we see a sai fly out of the back into the chest of the ninja. The trajectory of the throw and the angle of the blade don't go together in my brain. Surely Henderson could have altered one of those two things to make the panel better and less confusing. If I was an editor on this book, I wouldn't have accepted that panel.

Also, in my reading experience, Daredevil doesn't usually go for killing blows when fighting the hand. He usually just sends them to the ground, knowing they'll dissolve when he does that. I do have a problem with Daredevil being shown as a killer, so I didn't love the sai toss to the chest, however, it's a Hand ninja, and no matter how Matt defeats him, he's going to dissolve, so I can accept it.

I wish Matt wasn't so flippant when he walked into the mayor's office. I would have preferred if he was all business and taking the events seriously. Instead, the scene came off as a pissing contest between him and Wesley. Matt came off as a bit of a jerk to me, but at least he ended up carrying out so positive acts.

The cliffhanger was weak, because all it means is that there are going to be even more Hand ninja in New York than before. It's nothing new.

My favourite thing about this issue was Matt escaping from his chains, and using the Hand ninja to do it. That was good. I felt the issue kind of petered out after that. I don't think this is a bad issue, but it's just sort of average. I gave it a three.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first half of the isuse, the art is the star. Garney's art has been great, but I like Mike Henderson. There are a few dynamic panels and the layout is good. I love that six panel grid with the ninja trying to jump into the police van.

I don't exactly love Matt's swagger, though, when he walks into the mayor's office. Sure he doesn't like Fisk, but he probably should put on a more somber tone with the city being attacked by ninjas. That being said, it is interesting to see him having to defend the city as Matt Murdock. It doesn't look like he can become Daredevil any time soon. Also, I'm glad he fired Wesley. That was a no-brainer.

I'm going Four Stars. It's briskly paced and fun, but still a little light. It's an intriguing arc overall. Matt Murdock having to save the day against the Hand as mayor is an interesting concept.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed review!

Overall, I thought this issue was ok and continues the trend of building towards something bigger. I do like the idea that Matt and Fisk are so focused on each other that they may be missing something bigger going on.

Agreed with Daredevil24, still confused how the other street level characters don't know that Matt is DD. The exchange between Misty and Spider-Man was odd for that reason. You would think that Luke, Jessica or Danny would have jumped in there.

The art is still not doing it for me, though it is better.

I actually liked Matt's swagger. While at times it may have been a bit over the top, I think sometimes writers forget that Matt can be a witty, funny, confident and (sometimes) smug character. The Netflix series actually does a nice job of showcasing this part of Matt. I particularly liked the part where Wesley threatened to sue Matt, like he actually forgot who he was talking to.

Interested to see where this is headed.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four stars from me. I thought this was a good start to the arc with Matt as mayor dealing with the Hand’s invasion of New York. The issue flew by for me; I actually got to the end and was surprised there wasn’t any more pages. I’m also glad the Beast’s temple got an upgrade here in NYC as I thought the one in China was pretty visually uninteresting.

Dimetre wrote:
Now we have Chris Sprouse, Karl Story and Jordie Bellaire. It took three people to turn in this rather boring cover that doesn't even reflect anything happening in this issue. The red of Daredevil's costume is muted, and doesn't leap off the page. This cover can't excite anybody.

I didn’t find this cover engaging either, and it confused me. Why are Matt’s eyes closed? He has lenses in his mask. Am I missing something?

Mike Murdock wrote:
In the first half of the isuse, the art is the star. Garney's art has been great, but I like Mike Henderson. There are a few dynamic panels and the layout is good. I love that six panel grid with the ninja trying to jump into the police van.

It was great-Henderson is fantastic. The panel showing Matt sitting in the police van shows just how talented he is. I really like the roughness to his art.

macjr33 wrote:
Agreed with Daredevil24, still confused how the other street level characters don't know that Matt is DD. The exchange between Misty and Spider-Man was odd for that reason. You would think that Luke, Jessica or Danny would have jumped in there.

I didn’t have a problem with it as it’s not their secret to tell.

macjr33 wrote:
I actually liked Matt's swagger. While at times it may have been a bit over the top, I think sometimes writers forget that Matt can be a witty, funny, confident and (sometimes) smug character. The Netflix series actually does a nice job of showcasing this part of Matt. I particularly liked the part where Wesley threatened to sue Matt, like he actually forgot who he was talking to.

Me too, for the reasons you state and also because he had to get everyone in the mayor’s office on board with his leadership quickly, and there’s no better way to do that than to be a strong, commanding presence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: