Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #605 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #605?
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #605 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #605 by Soule, Henderson and Milla ships next week and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-605

Please use this thread to discuss the issue when it ships July 11th!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I thought I'd see the day where Daredevil rides a horse on the cover of his book.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a little bit of tension in the beginning with Fisk about to take his job back mixed with just the right amount of humor when he collapses. I will say, his skepticism isn't entirely unreasonable. Daredevil has even teamed up with Fisk to stop a greater threat before, but Fisk doesn't know Matt is Daredevil.

The thing with the horses is a bit silly (I joked about the cover), but I don't mind it. I love the monologue about light and dawn and all that - Matt is fighting for a world he can't ever truly see and be a part of. The story ends with the status quo I was more interested in seeing (Fisk as mayor), a good resolution for Blindspot, and what's likely the story for the next arc.

Four and a Half Stars.

Continuity note - there's a debate whether Elektra knew Matt was Daredevil in the Defenders stories. I can still sort of reconcile the two if the Defenders story happened afterward (or just grit my teeth and decide the edges don't actually have to line up), but Matt's flippant mention of Killgrave kind of bothers me. For starters, it felt very flat and without weight given that he was keeping it a secret from her. Second, isn't Killgrave dead? I don't think this story makes any effort to be aware of what happened in Jessica Jones. I know Soule is busy, but I wish an editor could coordinate things.

Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall an entertaining issue. I have my issues with it. I really like Father Jordan and his people, it saddens me that Blindspot will be placed there. Aside from Matt giving up Purple Man to a killer I would think that he'd be fearful for what he could do to Elektra. I would think he would at least tip her off.

Question. Does anyone have any takes why the sword was glowing? It looked cool.

Also, I think the conversation between Matt and Elektra regarding what happened to her memory was anticlimactic was because that story is old. I think it happened in issue 8. Soule took way too long to get back to it.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:

I suppose that's the thing that's supposed to be unknown. I assume it had something to do with faith, but there's not much to go on.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Aside from Matt giving up Purple Man to a killer I would think that he'd be fearful for what he could do to Elektra. I would think he would at least tip her off.

That is my major hang-up with this issue. Not only was Soule's version of Elektra way too chatty, but I don't like Matt's attitude about handing over Killgrave too her. You're right about what he could do to her, but on the other hand, Matt knows that Elektra wants nothing less than to murder Killgrave. Daredevil is one of the heroes with the strongest moral centres in the entire Marvel Universe. He believes in due process and the legal system as the best path to justice. By giving Elektra the name he is either signing Killgrave's death warrant or putting Elektra in enormous danger. I don't think Matt should be comfortable with either of those options.

The fighting in this issue is okay, but the Hand are just not compelling villains. Everytime Daredevil and his friends fight them, the Hand get beaten. There hasn't been a single time in these last four issues where Daredevil lost a fight to a Hand ninja. In this issue the Beast fares no better than one of his underlings. Matt beats the Beast of the Hand with a sword. If you want to see a comic with the Beast of the Hand, read Elektra: Assassin. In that one, the battle is more metaphysical. In this one, the Beast is a fat guy who burps out noxious gas, and you can stab him in the heart so he'll explode.

The ever-present green gas was confusing too. This issue shows Daredevil without a gas mask, running around amid this green gas. Same with the horses; they must have been breathing it in. At some point, Mike Henderson should have stopped drawing the green gas, or he should have drawn the gas masks. I couldn't figure out how everyone wasn't being affected by the gas.

I liked the scenes with Wilson Fisk, and I liked the exchange between Karnik and Blindspot. Ordo Draconum is still cool, and I liked how Matt's suspicions about the fixed election were confirmed.

We haven't been told flat out that Blindspot is joining Ordo Draconum. As Matt says, Sam is his own man, and obviously Father Jordan is going to try to recruit him. I think it's a good move, because it will take Blindspot away from Daredevil for a while, and perhaps into his own adventures.

There are a lot of good character moments in this issue, but I don't think Charles Soule shows any realization about how best the Hand works. They have never been the principle antagonist in a good story. They have always worked best as a threat in the background of a larger story. That is why the past four issues have been, in my opinion, very unremarkable. The Hand don't have a distinct personality of their own. The Beast certainly didn't have one. And every time Daredevil punched a Hand ninja, that hand ninja fell down. I was never worried Daredevil would lose to the Hand. It's like worrying that the battledroids are going to kill the Jedi in The Phantom Menace.

I gave it a three. Not bad, but not that great either.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make good points. Well onto the next adventures.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been my favorite issue of Soule's entire run and definitely my favorite story arc. It was damn near perfect in my eyes.

Really liked Foggy in this issue and I'm so glad to see him back in the book.

Fisk was great in this issue as well. I like the idea that perhaps
he could have won the Mayor's office legitimately, he decided to fix the election to remove all doubt.

The Order of the Dragon is great and while I wasn't his biggest fan in the least glad to see Blindspit getting a send-off that will hopefully allow him to grow as a character. Certainly better than just killing him off.

I'm thinking we are going to see Karnik as a new supporting character for Matt. Glad to see the other heroes back in the mix as well.

Thought it was cool to see Matt riding a horse and even cooler having him wield a sword. Loved Matt's internal monologue.

The art was also fantastic.

If I had to nitpick one thing I would say the conversation with Elektra was a tad underwhelming but not that big of deal.

For me this was the best arc in Soule's run start to finish and this being the best issue. The most fun I've had reading a comic in quite awhile.

Easily 5 stars!

Dimetre wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:
Aside from Matt giving up Purple Man to a killer I would think that he'd be fearful for what he could do to Elektra. I would think he would at least tip her off.

That is my major hang-up with this issue. Not only was Soule's version of Elektra way too chatty, but I don't like Matt's attitude about handing over Killgrave too her. You're right about what he could do to her, but on the other hand, Matt knows that Elektra wants nothing less than to murder Killgrave. Daredevil is one of the heroes with the strongest moral centres in the entire Marvel Universe. He believes in due process and the legal system as the best path to justice. By giving Elektra the name he is either signing Killgrave's death warrant or putting Elektra in enormous danger. I don't think Matt should be comfortable with either of those options.

I see your point on this, though I could justify Matt's actions because he needed Elektra's help because the situation was that dire. Matt himself has killed before when absolutely necessary and here he is just supplying information. What she does with it is on her, not him. I don't think this goes against his moral center or his belief in the legal system. Elektra is also very resourceful. She was going to find out eventually, so Killgrave had the death warrant the minute he crossed her.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 stars. This was an epic ending to the arc. It was wonderful that Matt got to be the light in the darkness with such a nice inner monologue, and I’m glad that Elektra, Spider-man, Moon Knight, and the rest joined the fight. I admit was surprised by some of the events in this issue, and I will miss Muse, Father Jordan, and Blindspot if this is really it for all three characters, but I admit Muse is the one I really want to see again the most. He’s too good of a villain to not use again. Can’t someone revive him against his will?

Mike Murdock wrote:
I'm not sure I thought I'd see the day where Daredevil rides a horse on the cover of his book.

That’s what got me excited-I was so glad it wasn’t misleading like so many other covers, and he actually rode a horse!
macjr33 wrote:
Dimetre wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:

I see your point on this, though I could justify Matt's actions because he needed Elektra's help because the situation was that dire. Matt himself has killed before when absolutely necessary and here he is just supplying information. What she does with it is on her, not him. I don't think this goes against his moral center or his belief in the legal system. Elektra is also very resourceful. She was going to find out eventually, so Killgrave had the death warrant the minute he crossed her.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Continuity note - there's a debate whether Elektra knew Matt was Daredevil in the Defenders stories. I can still sort of reconcile the two if the Defenders story happened afterward (or just grit my teeth and decide the edges don't actually have to line up), but Matt's flippant mention of Killgrave kind of bothers me. For starters, it felt very flat and without weight given that he was keeping it a secret from her. Second, isn't Killgrave dead? I don't think this story makes any effort to be aware of what happened in Jessica Jones. I know Soule is busy, but I wish an editor could coordinate things.

No offense to them because I know they are overworked but considering Editorial missed Father Jordan’s name being misspelled in the opening summary, unfortunately I think us readers have spent more time thinking about this than they have. The validity of Matt’s actions hinges on the proper timeline (Is Purple Man dead right now? Does Matt know? Is that why he’s okay with Elektra going after him because she won’t find him?), and no one knows what that is. I don’t think Matt would be all right with murder or putting Elektra in danger. And for Elektra being a chatterbox, well, that’s a Marvel issue, not a Soule one. She’s chatty in the Netflix shows, chatty in her solo mini, chatty in her guest appearances, chatty in the mobile phone games…

Mike Murdock wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:

I suppose that's the thing that's supposed to be unknown. I assume it had something to do with faith, but there's not much to go on.

Dimetre wrote:
The fighting in this issue is okay, but the Hand are just not compelling villains.

Dimetre wrote:
The Hand don't have a distinct personality of their own. The Beast certainly didn't have one.

Soule says in his interview with CBR.com that the Beast is “a straight-up devil analogue” so I think that explains what happened and why (the sword glowed due to Matt’s Catholic faith and that’s how he won) and why it didn’t work for everyone (since there’s no human character to hang the villain characterization on). Personally, I really like the Hand, and I really liked them in this story, but I really like ninjas. If undead ninjas are not enough, then no, this arc won’t be satisfying.

macjr33 wrote:
Fisk was great in this issue as well. I like the idea that perhaps he could have won the Mayor's office legitimately, he decided to fix the election to remove all doubt.

I agree, that sounds like Fisk. He should reprimand Wesley for talking about it so openly though. One doesn’t need Matt’s superhearing to accidentally overhear something they shouldn’t in a crowded government building. What if someone else walked in?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:
I will miss Muse, Father Jordan, and Blindspot if this is really it for all three characters, but I admit Muse is the one I really want to see again the most. He’s too good of a villain to not use again. Can’t someone revive him against his will?

Muse is definitely the biggest loss. The others are around and can come back any time they want, but it's good to give them a bit of a break to avoid overuse.

Quote:
No offense to them because I know they are overworked but considering Editorial missed Father Jordan’s name being misspelled in the opening summary, unfortunately I think us readers have spent more time thinking about this than they have. The validity of Matt’s actions hinges on the proper timeline (Is Purple Man dead right now? Does Matt know? Is that why he’s okay with Elektra going after him because she won’t find him?), and no one knows what that is. I don’t think Matt would be all right with murder or putting Elektra in danger.

I think Marvel has way too few editors. It's worth pointing out DC has more editors in fewer books, so they can spend more time per book.

Honestly, part of my disappointment is that I thought Matt would end his conversation with Elektra by saying he was the one to blame, not that Purple Man was. I thought it was going to indicate accepting responsibility (not that he technically is 100% responsible, but he's guilty of the sin of omission).

Quote:
Soule says in his interview with CBR.com that the Beast is “a straight-up devil analogue” so I think that explains what happened and why (the sword glowed due to Matt’s Catholic faith and that’s how he won)

It's interesting that this run started with Matt calling himself a lapsed Catholic (which I think is accurate) and winning this through faith. I wonder if his confession was the turning point there.

Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

That’s what got me excited-I was so glad it wasn’t misleading like so many other covers, and he actually rode a horse!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/issuesinfo.cgi?issue=308
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. It wasn't even that long that I read that issue. A lot of Dead Man's Hand if a blur. Did he actually ride the horse in the issue.

Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed he did.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I'm not mistaken, he also did it in Waid's Latverian mini arc...
Not on the cover, though.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh duh. I'm remembering that now. That was a good story too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: