Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #610 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #610?
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #610 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #610 by Soule and Noto ships October 31st, and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-610

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships next week!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Nyla Skin shout out, but no mention of Yuriko lol. That four parter with Yuriko is one of my favorite DD stories ever. That being said, I'm going with a 2/5. It was really mediocre and this thing with Matt/Elektra is ridiculous. If you're not going to find a way to move them forward then just stop with the teasing. If DC can find a way for Batman and Catwoman to work in large portions Marvel can do the same with Matt/Elektra. Elektra has given up killing before and she's disciplined enough to follow orders when working with SHIELD. I'm just tired of the whole "I can't be with you because I'm a killer and you're a hero".
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the rant guys.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main takeaway from this was how much matt and elektra seemed to genuinely enjoy each others company. I liked seeing them both break away from the way they’re traditionally depicted without it seeming like they were being written by someone who didn’t understand the characters. Two characters who are rarely depicted as happy, enjoying each others company and lightening up purely because they’re with each other only for the gut punch towards the end where the both realise simultaneously that it isn’t sustainable and can’t work. I’d love for elektra to have a much bigger presence in the books but a one off issue explaining why she can’t be for now is good enough to hold me over until another writer decides to make it happen.

All that being said however that was the only thing i liked about this issue. The whole “we have a well thought out tactical plan to capture wesley... but we won’t show you we’ll just skip to a car chase after its all gone wrong” thing annoyed me a bit and killing him off seems like a waste as i’ve always thought kingpin could use a recurring right hand mine even if its just for expositions sake.

And the new villain seemed to have some promise and maybe he’ll still live up to it. He just didnt here.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The start of this issue felt a little nostalgic. I think it's Elektra back in her original outfit, but the namedrops of all the girlfriends whose lives Matt has ruined (arguably) is thematically important. I'm glad there are some more obscure references there. Matt brings Elektra into his team. When Bendis wrote Defenders, he strongly implied Elektra knew Matt and Daredevil were the same (at least, the story wouldn't make much sense otherwise). It's unclear what Soule's position was but he didn't treat it as a big reveal so I would guess she knows by this point.

I'm a little uneasy about Matt's plan to kidnap Wesley. That being said, the Vigil is a visually distinct villain. I have no idea anything about him, but he still comes off as cool. I'm sure they'll reveal the mystery, which will make him less cool, but I like him so far. There's the Daredevil protects rather than kills debate, this time with Elektra instead of Frank. To me, this is the take on Elektra I like. She's a killer because she doesn't have the reservations that Matt does and doesn't let them interfere with her mission (unlike Frank where killing is the mission). There's a debate whether she should have killed the bad guy since it might have prevented another death. Alternatively, if she hadn't tried to kill him, maybe Matt wouldn't have had to stop her and Wesley wouldn't have died. Either way, the death is a big deal because it's going to make it much harder to stop Fisk. Still, this might be the best that Soule has written Elektra and I'm glad he isn't trying to say they're meant for each other.

I'm going Four Stars. The highlight is the new villain. Modern comics generally don't have dense plots so a lot of interesting things feel cut, but I thought it was enjoyable.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From early in Soule's run, it's clear that Elektra remembered her romantic past with Matt, but didn't realize he was Daredevil. I would have liked it if Matt we saw his superhero identity to her this issue. It's obvious he did, but I would have liked to have seen it.

I think the Vigil is very cool, but I don't know if I would like him as much if anyone other than Phil Noto drew him. It's possible he's just a really great design. I'd like to find out more about him though, and if he has some weird link to the Catholic Church.

Elektra is my favourite romantic interest for Matt, simply because of the push and pull. The passion is clearly still there after all this time, and it completely makes sense to me why they got together. He has a new quest to make the most out of his time on earth, and she clearly no longer wanted to take Matt for granted. I liked how he asked her to stay.

I would have liked to see them actually kidnap Wesley, instead of flashing forward to them getting away with him. It seems like an odd scene to cut out.

I feel like not enough happened in this issue. Perhaps they could have spent less pages on the scene with Cypher at the computer, or budgeted the panel layout better with the getaway scene.

As imperfect as Daredevil's radar sense was after the car accident, I would have liked it if he had failed to save Wesley in a more compelling way. He's just running down the hallway, but he doesn't even toss his club. Wesley just gets stabbed. Couldn't Soule and Noto dedicated a series of slow motion panels to Daredevil missing with his club by the narrowest of margins? Another missed opportunity that seems obvious to me.

What's in this issue is perfectly fine, but it just doesn't feel like a full meal. It also kind of sucks that there won't be any more Elektra in this story. There are only two issues left, and I hope we learn some interesting things about the Vigil, but for now I gave this a three.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five stars. As if I would give any issue where Matt and Elektra made love and admitted they wanted to be together any less, especially with wonderful art by Noto!

Daredevil24 wrote:
It was really mediocre and this thing with Matt/Elektra is ridiculous. If you're not going to find a way to move them forward then just stop with the teasing. If DC can find a way for Batman and Catwoman to work in large portions Marvel can do the same with Matt/Elektra. Elektra has given up killing before and she's disciplined enough to follow orders when working with SHIELD. I'm just tired of the whole "I can't be with you because I'm a killer and you're a hero".

lcarr1991 wrote:
I’d love for elektra to have a much bigger presence in the books but a one off issue explaining why she can’t be for now is good enough to hold me over until another writer decides to make it happen.

Dimetre wrote:
Elektra is my favourite romantic interest for Matt, simply because of the push and pull. The passion is clearly still there after all this time, and it completely makes sense to me why they got together. He has a new quest to make the most out of his time on earth, and she clearly no longer wanted to take Matt for granted. I liked how he asked her to stay.

Count me in for wanting Matt and Elektra as a couple, but I think if Soule was interested in writing that, he would have done this earlier; when someone asked him if Rogue and Gambit would get together in his Astonishing X-Men, he told them he likes the dance. I’m very happy for what we got!

Mike Murdock wrote:
The start of this issue felt a little nostalgic. I think it's Elektra back in her original outfit, but the namedrops of all the girlfriends whose lives Matt has ruined (arguably) is thematically important.

Honestly, it’s all the more reason for Matt and Elektra to be together. Matt doesn’t have to be this corrosive agent ruining all the women he’s with. If Matt gets Elektra killed, the Hand will just resurrect her. It’s security for both of them, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: