Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel Knights #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Marvel Knights #1 Reply with quote

I don't know what you folks all thought about this issue that came out on Wednesday. I thought it was pretty interesting.

The story, as written by Donny Cates and pencilled by Travel Foreman, makes no use of of current continuity. It marks the twentieth anniversary of the Marvel Knights imprint, even though that imprint disappeared with Ed Brubaker's arrival as Daredevil writer with Volume 2 #82 in April 2006. So, in actuality, Marvel Knights only existed for eight years. Still, it was a hugely influential imprint, and showed Marvel the way out of their 90s creative and financial bankruptcy.

It's an intriguing idea. Matt can't remember that he's Daredevil. Frank Castle can't remember that he's the Punisher. Bullseye doesn't remember who he is. Wilson Fisk doesn't know who Matt Murdock is. But there are some story elements that don't have much to do with what Marvel Knights was. Although I remember that Hulk was a Marvel Knights book for a while, he didn't really pal around with Matt or the Widow very much. And the Villain revealed at this issue's end certainly doesn't seem to belong in a Marvel Knights book, as awesome as he is.

Still, I think I'm going to follow this series. Oddly, Cates and Foreman aren't involved with the next issue, which brings Elektra into the story.

What did the rest of you think?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a very good mystery box so far, but the mystery has to pay off soon or else it'll be either disappointing or a drag. The memory loss angle makes it easy to set this story relatively in any time. The fact that Matt is at Karen's grave makes me wonder if it's after Daredevil #612 since we see a variant cover with Daredevil and Karen (that, obviously, depends on whether he dies or not). The surprise villain at the end makes me think because I haven't fully caught up with the continuity of the character and what his motivations are currently.

This forum doesn't handle spoilers well. That's probably as much as I can say in a non-spoiler format. I have a theory that I'll save a little bit, but let's just say it incorporates ideas from Charles Soule's run as well as an older story involving the villain that's ambiguously in continuity.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get a feeling Karen might return to the main canon?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:

Me? Not really.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:

Me? Not really.

I think issues two and three make it clear Karen’s a ghost. Maybe she’s a result from whatever happened to make this memory wipe happen or maybe she just came back to help. I wonder where she went during the last issue? She didn’t go into the building.

With one issue to go, I’ve enjoyed this miniseries although it’s been a little uneven, which is to be expected with four people writing (Donny Cates, Matthew Rosenberg, Tini Howard, and Vita Ayala). Narratively, I preferred the first and fifth’s issues breakneck pacing to the second, third, and fourth’s slower burns. I mean, it was obvious Doctor Doom was involved given the ending of the first issue; did we really need to spend that much time on how Frank doesn’t feel right starting over? Artwise Niko Henrichon is the clear winner for me over Travel Foreman and Damian Couceiro, which is why I’m glad he got to do two issues, and I also like both Joshua Cassara and Kim Jacinto. I really enjoyed the two twists at the end of the last issue, but I also really doubt the ending of the next issue is going to be “a secret that may shatter the very foundations of the Marvel Universe!” as claimed so I’m excited to see what it actually is. I hope Bullseye makes it back for the end too.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't love Henrichon's artwork this issue. The villains were kind of sketchy. For instance, I'm assuming it was Tombstone who was holding T'Challa above his head, but I'm not too sure.

I thought the scene where the Kingpin got the better of Doctor Doom was awesome. That was the highlight of the issue for me. As for T'Challa's memory at the end, I have no idea how he survived that truck crashing into his car.

I don't think this mini-series is lighting the world on fire but it's fun enough. I'll see this through.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I saw this series through to the end, and jeez. I think this last issue was one of the foremost examples of desperately-cramming-as-much-into-the-final-act-so-we-can-end-this-sucker that I have ever seen. It's almost comical how sloppy this issue is.

After the Kingpin had such an awesome moment last issue, he is built up to be such a formidable force only to be removed from the sorry in the most unceremonious way. Daredevil even calls him "nothing," which hearkened back to one of my most hated aspects from Bendis' run.

I think this mini-series is best forgotten. Truly unessential.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't a fan. The story had some potential and the reveal at the end also had potential, but it wasn't earned and the whole thing just felt forgettable. And that's leaving aside potential continuity concerns that are best not worth thinking about.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: