Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #5 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #5?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #5 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #5 by Zdarsky, Checchetto and Gho is coming May 15th and here's the preview! Cover by Tedesco!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-005

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure has been a roller coaster ride since Matt got hit by that truck, hasn't it? First, we were teased about Daredevil's "death." Then the Man Without Fear mini-series saw Matt sink to some of his lowest depths ever. Now, it looks like he's faced the cold hard truth that his body just won't let him pull off the heroics like he used to. After reading this issue, I'm really worried that Matt may actually retire his Daredevil identity, and, what's worse, it may be the right thing to do.

Still, this is the same guy who didn't give up after Wilson Fisk beat him unconscious, doused him in alcohol, threw him in a cab, rusted the doors shut and dumped the entire thing in the Hudson River. "Never Give Up" is the constant repeated lesson that Daredevil fans have been fed for 617 consecutive issues. I don't think Matt can stay out of the fray.

I did like that Matt managed to take on that guy in the robotic suit, and I liked that the other Defenders had his back. I most enjoyed his conversation with Spidey. Peter is right -- he shouldn't have been able to follow Daredevil without him being tipped off. The fact that it happened confirmed for all of us that Matt isn't well. I actually felt Matt face the facts. He stopped denying the truth.

There were things I didn't like about this issue. First and foremost, I hated it when #4's cliffhanger was an image of Daredevil in a Punisher T-shirt. It felt like a stunt that was designed solely to provoke the rage in readers who are diametrically opposed to Punisher's philosophy. So he wore the Punisher T-shirt while fighting the Owl's goons this issue. Jessica Jones is the one who informs Matt what he was wearing, and Matt just answers that he needed a shirt. So, story-wise, there was no reason to have Matt wear a T-shirt with Frank's logo on it. Having Matt wear that was nothing more than a stunt. I didn't like it one bit.

Then there was Matt's assertion that every one in the Defenders is a murderer. This is problematic for a number of reasons. Long time fans of Daredevil know that this isn't the first time someone has died at Matt's hand. There was the helicopter pilot in "Born Again," who was spraying bullets everywhere. Countless more people would have died had Daredevil not intervened. There was also the prostitute in Frank Miller's Man Without Fear mini-series, but Joe Kelly would have us believe she survived and became Typhoid Mary. I can't even begin to discuss what Daredevil did to Bullseye in Shadowland.

My point in bringing these instances up is that Daredevil has had plenty of opportunities throughout his career to deal with the issue of unintentional casualties from his adventures. It's an issue fraught with controversy. But in shouting "We're murderers," it sounds like he's only confronting this issue for the first time. Either that, or he's not in his right mind, and given his physical state and the pain meds, he probably isn't.

The other problem the scene presents is that Matt is a lawyer. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that intent counts for something. When Matt caused this guy's death four issues ago, he was trying to prevent a crime. He had no intention of killing anybody. If Matt is guilty of anything, wouldn't it be manslaughter? I asked this when we looked at #2, and Mike Murdock agreed that Matt's crime is closer to manslaughter than murder, and could even be ruled a justifiable homicide.

Still, I respect Matt for being unable to shake off his guilt for what he's done. I like that he's regretful. I admire that he respects everyone's life.

This comic is a compelling read, but I'm worried that we're taking a step backwards. Matt's journey back from the brink of death was handled nicely in Jed MacKay's Man Without Fear series, and now it looks like Matt going back to a period of rest. Nobody can possible believe that Matt is hanging up his Daredevil identity for good. As for the idea that he'll hand over the identity to someone else, if that were to be done, why didn't they just go ahead and do it with issue #1?

If Matt quits, it's just not going to jive with his character. It's not who he is. I understand that in his current state he isn't doing as good a job as he should, but I think he'll do what he can to address that, and he'll be back.

I have no idea where Zdarsky is going, but I'm willing to stick around and see.

I gave this issue a three.
The1captain
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like issues 1-5 is Matt traveling down a similar path his father did. A past his prime fighter that maybe should quit fighting but can't. After last issue with DD wearing a Punisher shirt I read many people reading into why he was wearing it. I just thought he just needed a shirt for the moment. Glad this issue confirmed I was right.

My worry is with DD's involvement in War of the Realms that they will use that to magically heal his body. I know he's part of the Marvel U. But I like it when DD is more street level crime and not so magical. Guess we'll have to see what happens.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

The other problem the scene presents is that Matt is a lawyer. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that intent counts for something. When Matt caused this guy's death four issues ago, he was trying to prevent a crime. He had no intention of killing anybody. If Matt is guilty of anything, wouldn't it be manslaughter?

I mean, the answer is yes, but I also think it's fair to say he holds himself to a higher standard than he does others.

The1captain wrote:

My worry is with DD's involvement in War of the Realms that they will use that to magically heal his body. I know he's part of the Marvel U. But I like it when DD is more street level crime and not so magical. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the easy answer is that they'll just ignore each other. I'm reading Ta-Nehisi Coates's Black Panther run and trying to reconcile that with Jason Aaron's Avengers as well and good luck with that.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid issue, but the Matt's whining is annoying. He's killed before. Yes he's not a killer and prefers not to kill but this angst seems a bit much.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Solid issue, but the Matt's whining is annoying. He's killed before. Yes he's not a killer and prefers not to kill but this angst seems a bit much.

Not sure i agree here. Matts always been full of angst after killing. After shadowland there was an entire mini-series dedicated to it. I think this reaction fits the character as we’ve always known him. I just dont like how everyones acting like its the first time.
The1captain
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things about Matt and this recent death.

1. I think they are just ignoring those past times Matt has killed just for continuity sake.

2. Matt has always been about control. He trained his body and mind to their peak. He’s always taken pride in that. Now he killed someone. Not out of anger towards that particular person. Not as people die in a war. But because Matt’s body is starting to fail him and he doesn’t have the control over it like he use to. Now he needs to fight harder in fights he used to just dance around with little effort. Now he realizes that having to do that he can’t expect to be able to control how every pinch or kick lands. So that’s going to mess with his mind trying to deal with how he goes forward. In the recent man without fear mini, Matt did the training montage thing where he thinks he can just focus on training and he’ll be back to normal. Now he’s realizing the body can only take so much punishment. And that’s messing with him.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcarr1991 wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:

Not sure i agree here. Matts always been full of angst after killing. After shadowland there was an entire mini-series dedicated to it. I think this reaction fits the character as we’ve always known him. I just dont like how everyones acting like its the first time.

I think in Shadowland it was more about what he did to his city and friends. Yes, he was disapointed and remorseful, but I also think Daredevil Reborn was more about him dealing with everything from Bendis''s and Brubakers' run coming full circle. Him calling all his friends murders is out of of character. I feel this is more something Batman would do. And I don't recall Matt quitting being Daredevil after he killed in Born Again nor do I recall him sobbing on Man without Fear. Also in
D.G. Chichester's run I recalled a few times he wrestled with thoughts of killing someone(surgeon general) and I think he killed a warrior who worked for the Hand (it's been awhile so I could be wrong on that )
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The1captain wrote:
After last issue with DD wearing a Punisher shirt I read many people reading into why he was wearing it. I just thought he just needed a shirt for the moment. Glad this issue confirmed I was right.

Meaning that there was no reason for him to wear a shirt that had the Punisher logo on it. The only reason to put him in that shirt was for cheap provocation. That bothers me. It ended up amounting to nothing, so the only reason it was done was to provoke a reaction. Like a fart joke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: