Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #6 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #6?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #6 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #6 by Zdarsky, Sharma and Leisten ships May 29th and here's the cover and preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-006

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships next week!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue seems to be about letting go and people who can't let go. It's a status quo without Daredevil. It's nice to see some more focus on Cole. Particularly that he's lying to himself. He says he just wants to stop crime, but he seems obsessed with Daredevil. Without Daredevil around, he's got to find a new path but he doesn't seem to be willing to do that. It also seems, by the end, that he might recognize the importance of Daredevil.

The Kingpin seems distracted and focused on aggression. He seems to be chafing at being mayor.

I like Matt's focus here. I always think he's best when he's part of the people on the street. That being said, his specific career is a different choice. I'm very curious about it. Parole Officers aren't lawyers. They have an odd role of helper and supervisor. They try to help people - to provide them services to keep them on the right path. But they also have to ask for them to be locked up when they're not complying. There was room as a prosecutor for more stories, but I'm also curious where this will go. I think the last probation or parole office was the one supervising Melvin Potter back in the day.

Side note, Bleak House is a book I've been meaning to read, but I've never gotten around to it. Maybe Matt can give me a good review. I like the interaction between Matt and the book store owner. I like the exploration of his senses. I also like the subversion. We typically see a scene like this play out where the woman ends up falling for Matt.

With the hints of the Owl and the ending, there's a lot of threads but all of them seem to hint at interesting places. Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue didn't do much for me. Guess it was okay. Miss the artwork. 3/5.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this issue. Zdarsky seems to really be building up to something. Cole seems so unhealthily obsessed, he's going to cause a major screw-up. Fisk doesn't have a target for his aggression anymore, so he's a time bomb waiting to go off. On the flipside, Matt seems perfectly happy and fulfilled in his new profession, so something is bound to come along and knock that all down for him.

The best thing this issue does is explore the world around Matt. He interacts with the produce store proprietor. He interacts with a protester. We got to see more of what the rest of the police force feels about Cole. And we got to spend some time with some small business owners paying protection to the Owl.

As much as I love Marco Checchetto's art, I suspected he wouldn't be able to deliver every issue to deadline. I correctly guessed some other artists would be called on to step in and do an arc to give him a break. Lalit Kumar Sharma's pencils, along with Jay Leisten's inks, are a nice throwback to bronze age comics, especially the two-page spread of Fisk sparring with some inmates. It reminded me a bit of John Buscema, a bit of Gene Colan and perhaps a bit of Scott McDaniel (but his better stuff, like when he would draw Ed Brubaker's Batman).

I felt a sense of dread reading this, and I think that's Zdarsky's intention. Something awful is definitely going to happen. Maybe next issue. Maybe the one after that. Is Janet going to get killed trying to fill Daredevil's cowl? In any case, Matt's comfy new world is going to get rocked, and he's not going to be able to handle it in a way that works for everyone.

The only thing I didn't like was Matt's repetition of the word "intoxicating" when talking to the book store lady. It's one thing to find her attractive, but the repetition made him seem a little too turned on, especially since she wasn't interested. Calm down buddy.

Overall, I thought this issue was very good. I give it a four.
claptofan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: review of number 6 Reply with quote

long time reader who has been down on the comic since they killed off karen page...and stopped reading for the last 4-5 years. i picked it up again with number 1 of this recent volume wasn’t too surprising to see matt broken down and on his last legs (yet again) but what i like about issue 6 is actually the levity in Matt. he seems to have come to terms with being a hero, albeit a flawed human hero, which is how i have always viewed him. the group therapy among the heroes in the prior issue really seems to have reached matt and we can now get a glimpse of his acceptance of this in issue 6. much of the issue was matt being a normal guy - which kind of reminded me of issue 304 time marks a cry for help - still one of my all time favorites. only in each of these scenarios it was just matt minus the heroics and the suit. seeing him in these interactions felt like a long time coming so i was very pleased with that. he has moved on from daredevil and set a course on a new life. good for him. he deserves this.

. if this is setting up some type of origin story for cole becoming daredevil- no thanks. keep the red suit out of the comic for a little while. let’s see what happens to matt in this new life. pretty sure he as DD will return eventually but i would prefer no daredevil over someone else taking on ge mantle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: