Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #10 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #10?
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #10 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #10 by Zdarsky, Fornes, Bellaire and Tedesco ships August 21 and here's the cover and preview.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-010

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Zdarsky has set Matt Murdock on such a compelling journey. Honestly, if you're a fan of the Daredevil Netflix show, you absolutely should be reading this comic. The choices Matt has been forced to make allow for perfect glimpses into who he is as a character. Even better, I think Zdarsky has found an ideal artistic partner in Jorge Fornes.

At first glance Fornes' artwork reminded me a lot of David Aja's. I'm sure Aja is an influence, but as the issue went on, I also noticed some resemblance to David Mazzucchelli, my favourite Daredevil artist ever. Fornes, teaming with colour artist Jordie Bellaire, show that they fully understand the language of comics. They know how to raise the tension, flip perspectives and milk a scene to its maximum. If I have to quibble about anything, Bellaire may rely too strongly on reds, but it's not like I'm an expert.

I love Marco Checchetto's work, but I wouldn't mind at all if Fornes and Bellaire stuck around on Daredevil for a while. It's great to have a team that obviously understands the strengths of comics as a medium.

As for Matt's clear moral transgression, it's clear that at the end of the previous issue he is lost at sea. He thought he had found contentment in his life, but something out there won't let him have it. He allowed himself to indulge in comfort with Mindy, but he knows it's wrong. He uses her husband's mob existence to rationalize it, but he can only do so much of that before it rings hollow.

He is being forced back into his old life. Notice that he is slowly being pushed back into his old career as an attorney.

Zdarsky clearly knows who Matt is inside and out. As much as his body isn't cooperating with him, Matt is unable to do nothing, because he "hears the bad." If he can hear the bad, it's his duty to do something about it.

I had to give this a five. I think everyone in the creative team for this issue fired on all cylinders, and the book has got me excited in a way it hasn't in the longest time. I am very much looking forward to the next issue.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Chip is on fire. This was great! Finally Elektra!
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hadn't read much of Zdarsky before, but I am sure a fan now! This was such an awesome issue!

You really feel for Matt and the situation he is in. I also appreciate the slow-burn approach that Zdarsky has taken with Matt trying to give up being Daredevil and slowly being pulled back in.

The action in the police station was intense and really well done. While I did enjoy the art, I would say I prefer Checchetto more; however, only if consistently be the artist. If not, I think Fornes could be a good alternative.

I am also curious where Cole's character goes from here. Will he come to understand why people like Daredevil are necessary?

Lastly, with the reveal of Elektra at the end, Zdarsky has an opportunity to quickly vault himself into the upper echelon of Daredevil writers if he can help to evolve their relationship. Often I feel most writers don't know what to do with them. I have always felt that once Marvel made the decision to bring Elektra back her presence should have been more felt in Daredevil (especially after they killed off Karen). To me, Daredevil and Elektra should be the Batman/Catwoman of the Marvel universe with a bit of Talia al Ghul mixed in there as well. Often what I feel we get is writers aren't sure what they should do so they bring in Elektra and it doesn't add anything new to the mix. If Zdarsky, can do something new with their relationship that would be amazing.

Five Stars for me!

Dimetre wrote:
Chip Zdarsky has set Matt Murdock on such a compelling journey. Honestly, if you're a fan of the Daredevil Netflix show, you absolutely should be reading this comic. The choices Matt has been forced to make allow for perfect glimpses into who he is as a character. Even better, I think Zdarsky has found an ideal artistic partner in Jorge Fornes.

Completely agree, though what I am most pleased with is that is borrows from the Netflix series in a way that still feels original.

Dimetre wrote:
As for Matt's clear moral transgression, it's clear that at the end of the previous issue he is lost at sea. He thought he had found contentment in his life, but something out there won't let him have it. He allowed himself to indulge in comfort with Mindy, but he knows it's wrong. He uses her husband's mob existence to rationalize it, but he can only do so much of that before it rings hollow.

He is being forced back into his old life. Notice that he is slowly being pushed back into his old career as an attorney.

Good call about his life as a lawyer, that's something I didn't quite pick up on my first read through.

Dimetre wrote:
Zdarsky clearly knows who Matt is inside and out. As much as his body isn't cooperating with him, Matt is unable to do nothing, because he "hears the bad." If he can hear the bad, it's his duty to do something about it.

This is key for me as well. At his core, Matt is someone that when he sees evil happening in the world he has to what he can to try and stop it. Zdarsky really captures this well and how this creates an inner conflict with Matt.

Daredevil24 wrote:
Man, Chip is on fire. This was great! Finally Elektra!

As I said above, really excited to see what he can do with Elektra!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the title of this story arc. The No Devils part seemed easy. I sort of thought it was just a play on the idea of there being no God only devils. But religion is definitely a big aspect of it. The opening thoughts here are of sin. Matt is having an affair with a married woman. This obviously isn't the first time where something like this happened, but the conflict is just the same. I like that Matt has enough self-awareness to not justify it. He's not being a white knight, he's just being a human being.

The stories keep bouncing back and forth. Cole is dealing with the Owl controlling other cops and being afraid to confront them (a strong contrast to how he felt about vigilantes). Matt is trying to help the brother of the man he killed. Probably the most interesting thing is how Tom came across as a much better person than it initially seemed when he acted selflessly for his wife despite what she's been doing. But the scenes sort of move in a whirlwind leading to an action scene at the end that seems to perhaps bring Daredevil back. I like Zdarsky's take - that it's Matt's ability to heart what is going on that puts him in the moral position to stop it.

The art feels very different from everything else that it's a bit jarring but it's in no way bad. Everything feels a bit brighter too. In many ways, it reminds me of Aja's work on Hawkeye.

Five Stars. This is a really good issue. Zdarsky is doing a good job using supporting characters while keeping Matt involved enough to justify an extended break from Daredevil. I hadn't even realized that the Owl is arguably the antagonist here. But it's really Matt's internal struggle that's the most compelling.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: