Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #11 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #11?
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #11 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #11 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Woodard and Tedesco ships September 11th and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-011

Please use this thread for when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I enjoyed this issue, it didn't feel like very much happened here. Chip Zdarsky has set up a lot of sub-plots during his run, and he touches on all of them here, giving each of them at least two pages. There's yet someone else inspired to dress as Daredevil and fight crime. We continue the cliffhanger from the last issue with Elektra confronting Matt. Detective North has an encounter with Spider-Man. There's the ongoing mayhem within the Libris family... It's all good.

But my favourite part of this issue had to be Wilson Fisk driving out to an airport with the Owl in the trunk of the car. The Owl showed more character than I've seen from him in either a very long time, or ever. He was not intimidated by Fisk at all. This scene will have one of two effects -- either Owl becomes a better villain under Zdarsky's pen, or Fisk will be so ashamed of this meeting with the Owl that he will abandon politics and go back to running the criminal underworld.

Marco Checchetto is back on art duties, and his work is amazing as always. I'm assuming he'll be the artist for this entire "Through Hell" story, and that's great. As much as I enjoyed Jorge Fornes' art last issue, there aren't many artists today on the same level as Checchetto.

Mindy has become less likeable for me this issue. She clearly still has a bond to her husband, but feels entitled to have a thing with Matt on the side. I can't generate any sympathy for her. I wonder if Matt is finding her less likeable as well?

It's a good issue, as all Zdarsky's Daredevil issues have been, but this one does seem like a lot of marching in place. I gave it a four.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of moving parts in this issue. Most of them continue from the last story arc. The big difference is Matt is back as Daredevil (sort of) and Elektra makes an appearance. I like the idea of Elektra training Daredevil, although it appears he declines. I think there's a good argument that Bendis's Defenders only really makes sense if Elektra knows Matt's secret identity. This story is playing it as if she doesn't know, but it's at least ambiguous.

The Cole story is continuing, but it looks like it's finally wrapping up. While this is a new arc for a new trade, it definitely picks up exactly where it left off. There's a nice appearance of Spider-Man to help speed his change of opinion.

Mindy and her husband seemed like they might reconcile last issue. I commented earlier with Matt's relationship that I liked how things were messy and not black and white. That seems to be the case here too. I like that she's an independent character with her own independent decisions. Matt isn't her white knight (noteworthy that he's wearing white at the beginning of the issue).

This book just feels very real to me. I mean, it has Spider-Man in it, but it still feels like something that would naturally occur. For that, I'm loving it. Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Muse
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with MM on this one. I gave it a 5, but I think it's closer to 4.5. Tons of moving parts, and it felt like all of it was "real," in terms of situation, and not something you had to stretch your imagination for. I'm not sure that accurately describes what I mean, but I've really liked this new run.

Regarding Cole, I really dig that character. And I also really enjoyed The Owl basically giving the finger to Kingpin. That should lead to something exciting. I'm less high on Mindy and that blossoming plot point. Just not digging it.

And how about that variant wrap-around cover! Incredible!
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome back Checchetto! This artwork was amazing, it was worth buying just for the way he draws Elektra. Also, love how draws Matt.

Story wise, as others have noted, there are a lot of moving parts; however, it fits and it feels like we are moving towards something big. I am curious if the Defenders series is considered cannon because it appears that Elektra still thinks Matt and Daredevil are separate people.

Most impressively though, Zdarksy has created characters that I feel a strong emotional connection with. Cole's arc continues to be compelling and I enjoyed his interaction with Spider-Man. Curious that Peter seemed to imply that Daredevil could be back at some point.

I also really like Mindy, that doesn't mean that I agree with her decisions or think that she is acting in a way that's likable. I often feel that way with Matt and that's the point, I'm feeling for the characters. I can emphasize with them and understand the situations that they are in can drive poor decisions.

I am also curious if Elektra will be showing back up soon and where things are headed with the Owl and the Kingpin.

It's got me super excited for the next issue!

Five stars for me!
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly my favourite Zdarsky issue so far. Watching coles inner turmoil was fun for a while but soon got boring and seeing him seemingly begin to move forward as a character was great. He felt less like a zealot and more like a real human here.

I liked spider-mans scene but there was something a little off putting about the way he seems to see himself here. He talked about himself as though he was the self elected judge and jury of the superhero community and it felt a little arrogant. He did show loyalty to matt though and their relationship hasn’t really been explored since matts secret identity was restored.

Its already been said but this was the best the owl has been in a long time. He was a threatening presence in the superior foes of spider-man but aside from that i don’t remember the last time he was treated with respect. That being said however I suspect this scene was less to do with building up owlsley and more to do with showing that matt isn’t the only one who might be getting soft. Either way though his design here was brilliant. It feels like every time we see him he’s a little more animalistic and a little further away from the upper class aristocratic type he used to be. His silhouette as he flew away especially was down right creepy.

The solicits for next month seems to hint that the owl will either make his move against fisk or fisk will respond to the disrespect shown here. Either way we’ll get an idea about Zdarskys intentions with the owl and it apparently is going to be bloody.

Not much to say on elektra or the crime family until i have a better idea of where thats all heading but it seems promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: