Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #13 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #13?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #13 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #13 by Zdarsky, Checchetto and Woodard ships November 6th, and here's the cover by Tesdesco and the preview!
There's also a variant by Declan Shalvey for DD2099.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-013

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving Chip Zdarsky's run so far, and this issue is good, but there are some things that, for me, are holding it back from being great.

I was looking forward to seeing Elektra train Matt. It was a cool idea, but now that it's actually playing out, it doesn't seem like something she should be doing. It seems beneath her, and also, isn't there a lot of baggage between these two with which they should be dealing? And are they not still on opposite sides of the law?

Similarly, I was somewhat uncomfortable watching the Kingpin lose so much control over himself, and being so dependent on Wesley. While this was a great showcase for Wesley, I think I would rather have seen Fisk get himself out of this jam, rather than have Wesley come up with everything. I felt the old Wilson was back when he started lying to the police.

Also, I wish Marvel would stop treating the title of "Kingpin" like it's transferable. To me Wilson Fisk is the Kingpin, and nobody else can be. When Matt called himself the Kingpin, he didn't do anything that Wilson Fisk would, so I don't consider him to have ever been the Kingpin. Now we have the Owl calling himself the new Kingpin. No. He can be the new crimelord, or the new Head of Crime, but the Owl is not going to run the gangs with corporate mastery and efficiency, and that's what it takes to be the Kingpin, and that's Wilson Fisk.

I thought the best part of this issue was Detective Cole, and the cliffhanger is great. The next cover promises an issue I'm sure I'm going to love.

This issue is good, but Elektra and Fisk aren't really acting like themselves. I'm giving this one a three.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it's two stories in parallel with a bit of Cole at the end.

The more interesting story is with Mayor Fisk. It's interesting to see Fisk vulnerable here. He's still ruthless, but it's due to his support and Wesley, not Fisk himself. Otherwise, it would have all unraveled.

Elektra definitely seems to be channeling a little bit of Stick here. I'm fine with Matt taking his time because the Fisk story is keeping it going and I like the idea of him intersecting with Cole to truly figure out the neighborhood.

Still, it feels like it doesn't have as much of an impact as last month's issue. That's OK for the middle of a story, but I'll give it Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue to me was a bit boring and too Fisk heavy. I like Fisk but the title is still Daredevil. I have been starving for DD/Elektra to rekindle but with their past altered it feels cheap and uninspiring. I can see Elektra helping the love of her life, but not some vigilante she used to fight with. In Defenders it was implied heavily she knows Matt's Daredevil. I think this series will be much more enjoyable in tpb like Bendis/Maleev. 3/5 for me.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this issue continues the opposite paths that Matt and Fisk are taking and, overall, I am finding it quite enjoyable.

While the issue was a little lite with Matt, I did enjoy reading as Fisk panicked given his current situation. Though we can start to see Matt gain his confidence back, particularly at the end when he confronts Cole. Sets up something nice for the next issue.

Also, I really like how Zdarsky is using the Owl! I'm wondering how this is all going to play out and how Matt's going to get pulled in.

Lastly, Checchetto's art continues to be stellar. I love how he draws Elektra and is look for the Owl is equally great.

So I will give this issue 4 stars.

Dimetre wrote:
Similarly, I was somewhat uncomfortable watching the Kingpin lose so much control over himself, and being so dependent on Wesley. While this was a great showcase for Wesley, I think I would rather have seen Fisk get himself out of this jam, rather than have Wesley come up with everything. I felt the old Wilson was back when he started lying to the police.

The way that I interpreted this while reading was that what Elektra is to Matt, Wesley is to Fisk. Fisk had lost his way from being the "Kingpin" much the same way that Matt doesn't feel that he is Daredevil. Wesley is there to show him how they handle "situations" such as those that Fisk was in. To your point, towards the end of the issue we start to see Fisk emerge again as the Kingpin.

Daredevil24 wrote:
This issue to me was a bit boring and too Fisk heavy. I like Fisk but the title is still Daredevil. I have been starving for DD/Elektra to rekindle but with their past altered it feels cheap and uninspiring. I can see Elektra helping the love of her life, but not some vigilante she used to fight with. In Defenders it was implied heavily she knows Matt's Daredevil. I think this series will be much more enjoyable in tpb like Bendis/Maleev. 3/5 for me.

I will agree this is the one thing that does confuse me as I would suggest it wasn't even implied in Defenders that Elektra knew Matt's identity, it was pretty much confirmed.

I am enjoying this series very much as is; however, also being a huge fan of the Bendis/Maleev run, I can see how some would enjoy this more in the tpb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: