Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club - Farewell to Foggy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: DD Book Club - Farewell to Foggy Reply with quote

I'm doing this one-shot story more as filler than anything else, although I have some distant (Jester-related) plans where it would probably be useful to have this story first. We also haven't done a Stan Lee story in a while.

Daredevil Vol. 1 #48 - Farewell to Foggy

Quote:
Foggy Nelson, District Attorney! Foggy wins the position of D.A. in a “landslide election”, leading to much upheaval at Nelson & Murdock. Karen Page returns to the law office, in part to rekindle her romance with Matt. But what does the villainous Stilt-Man have to do with the new D.A.?

Due 6/6

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue, from January 1969, has Stan Lee adding complications to Matt's personal and professional life, while throwing in the requisite monthly super-villain battle. It's fine, but Gene Colan's art is particularly gorgeous this issue, and he really brings the story to life. For the most part Colan draws very few panels per page, which allows is to examine more of his art than usual. A lot of pages have no more than four panels, and when the art is this good, you've got to love it.

I think the most powerful moment in the issue is Karen's return. We witnessed her tearful goodbye to Matt five issues earlier, but here she is, back again to tell him she can't stay away from him. I don't think Colan ever made her look more gorgeous, and I think it's her eyes. They're both so filled with desire for each other, which makes it so terrible when Matt sabotages their reunion on the very next page to get everyone out of the office so they'll be safe from Stilt-Man's attack.

By now Stilt-Man is one of Marvel's foremost "joke" villains. Nobody takes him seriously, and I think that's a shame. As the old adage says, there are no bad villains, only bad writers. Perhaps Wilbur Day would be seen as more of a threat if they changed his moniker from "Stilt-Man" to something cooler like, I don't know, Skyscraper. I prefer it when Daredevil, as in this issue, takes his opponent seriously than not. I didn't like it when he treated Stilt-Man and Leapfrog as pathetic during the Brian Bendis era, and Mark Waid's run saw him do it to Stilt-Man again. I don't know if Chip Zdarsky has plans for Day in his current run, but I'd be interested to see if he does, since he's doing such a good job.

As beautiful as Colan's art is, I didn't find the fight between Daredevil and Stilt-Man that great. Anyone could have predicted that Daredevil's drop from 15 stories would have been prevented by his billy-club cable, so that's no surprise. It's also hard to buy that Daredevil managed to whip Day in the face with the same cable while he needs it to hold his entire weight. How is that possible? Then Day escapes underground and loses Matt in a odour-filled room. Foggy appears angry at Matt and that's the end of the issue.

There's not much depth here, but Colan's art is some of his all-time best, and that counts for something. I give this a three out of five.

Last edited by Dimetre on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first seven pages all happen very suddenly. Daredevil is swinging around and, suddenly, there's a fight. Stan Lee's dialogue isn't great, but I think it does a good job of raising tension and building the rest of the plot. The speed of this issue is most noteworthy. There's a break from the action for some drama where Matt decides to be a jerk to Foggy and that's over by page 10.

The rest of the issue is basically just a fight scene. I like Daredevil fighting Stilt-Man. Not because he's a credible threat, but because it usually leads to some good artistic scenes since it really has to show off Daredevil's acrobatics. But then, just as quickly as it began, it ends. The ending is a bit of a tragic one, but it happened so suddenly I kept having to flip back to make sure I didn't miss a page.

Three Stars. There's some fun moments, but it might have benefited from taking a few pages away from the action to add to the drama. Still, the ending of Nelson and Murdock breaking up on such a bitter tone is a really good one and Colan's art also helps elevate this pedestrian story.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: